DVDVR Message Board

Run Run Shaw passes away at 107

Death From Above

I am not a huge kung-fu film connoisseur but this seems thread worthy. Shaw Brothers are an absolute staple of the genre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-25618414#TWEET1005249

Seems like a good time to reminisce about some of the films his companies brought to the world. Personally, I'm a fan of The 36th Chamber of Shao Lin.

When I was 12 and saw Blade Runner, I thought his name (he was an exec producer/financier for the project) was hilarious for some reason.  When I got to college and there was an internet, and I found out what he'd accomplished, I was kind of blown away.

I kind of hate how little I've revisited Shaw Bros. movies in the last, hell, ten years, of my life.  They were such a big part of my 20s and I would leap at any rep. theater that programmed one.  I would go way out of my way to see a Shaw movie on the big screen and would drag people to see them with me.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I thought he died a long time ago.  RIP to a legend.

Kid With The Golden Arm will always be my favorite Shaw Brothers movie.  Lu mother fucking Feng, daddy.

King Boxer (Five Fingers of Death), Avenging Warriors of Shaolin, Flag of Iron, and Five Deadly Venoms round out my list.

I grew up going to wushu movies with my father in Petersburg.  I stlll occasionaly sit down with my father to watch some of the old school classics I have on DVD.  Good times.  I feel like I have lost a Great Grandfather now that Mr. Shaw has passed away.

Holy shit, I thought he died a long time ago.  RIP to a legend.

Run Me died in 1985.  Run Run's first wife died in 1987.  After that, Run Run retired from film production (he had over 800 films where he was credited as producer) to spend time with his family and to start charitable organizations, though he still had enough money to build a huge palace and date young actresses until he got remarried in 1997 -- when he was 90!

Shaw Brothers is of course best known for kung fu, but they did films in every genre.  In fact, if it wasn't for the 1973 comedy House of 72 Tenants, the Hong Kong movie industry as we know it would not have survived and we would have not gotten the oldschool classics we all know and love.

Some other non-kung fu Shaws I like:

Black Magic

Human Skin Lanterns

Kiss of Death

Killer Snakes

Seeding of a Ghost

Danny Lee was Shaw Brothers' main star for a couple of years.  Super Inframan is pretty fun.  Shaw Brothers, like most Hong Kong studios pretty unashamedly took "inspiration" from popular films.  Mighty Peking Man (ripoff of King Kong) is another good one Danny Lee was in.