DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

Everything Dean Ambrose was involved with tonight was absolute gold. I think that every match where he is at ringside needs to have picture in picture just so we can have more of his insane reactions to things.

I like Del Rio being brought back seemingly for the express purpose of getting destroyed by Batista.

I loved the subtle callback to the first Joe v. Punk in the main event tonight with the extended headlock sequence to start the match. That whole match was amazing with just the right amount of Schmoz and great post match stuff.

And I don't care, Bad News Barrett RULES. Him talking about flea market photo sales was great. "CAN I HAVE SOME DECORUM IN HERE?"

Ryback on commentary was really great. Also, I don't think I'm alone in not caring one bit about the title match.

I know it's too early in the gimmick, but I would have liked someone to lower the lift and have him start panicking as Rikishi and Arn stood there waiting for him.

• Like 2

And I don't care, Bad News Barrett RULES. Him talking about flea market photo sales was great. "CAN I HAVE SOME DECORUM IN HERE?"

Ryback on commentary was really great. Also, I don't think I'm alone in not caring one bit about the title match.

You are not.

Is it possible for him to slowly drive through a city sometime up in that thing, just shouting insulting things?  Because that would be the greatest thing ever.

how about he gets the Big Bossman's Blues Brothers car and drives through a town insulting people through the loud speaker?

• Like 6

Even if they could just lower it to like six feet off the ground, he should just scoot around the backstage area every week talking shit at people...especially it it beeps when it's moving:

"Hey, Langston, I've got some bad news.  Those breasts of yours are going to start hurting your lower back in a few years."

beep...beep...beep...beep...

"Hey Brodus, I've got some bad news.  In ten years when they do old-school RAW they're still going to call Rikishi."

beep...beep...beep...

• Like 16

I worry for Wade and that scissor lift.  Fun RAW though

I was thinking that too.  It's got malfunction written all over it, which would lead to either him falling off maybe, or just an embarrassingly goofy segment. Although that in itself would probably be entertaining and able to spun into the gimmick. . 

But yeah, goddamn Jake Roberts.  Sitting in my apartment, by myself, I literally slide to the edge of my couch and threw my hands in the air in excitement as soon as that music hit.  So awesome to see Jake in such good shape and coherent.

• Like 1

Bad News Barrett driving through the crowds pre-Raw insulting people would be all the dollars.

Then, when they have the Muppets back, he can have those two badasses Statler and Waldorf with him...

• Like 2

After reading the house show reports, my main fear was that Bryan was going to end up the Buddy Roberts of the Wyatts. Based on tonight, it looks like they're going in the opposite direction. Plus, I'm a huge fan of coveralls in wrestling. So consider me cautiously optimistic.

Um, which one of the group is the Michael "PS" Hayes?  The PS stands for "Purely Sexy".  That doesn't really fit the Wyatts.

Brody/Harper is hairy enough, but the blonde perm might be a dealbreaker.

Damn it.  Just had an idea.  Sign the Briscoes, make them out to be the new members of Bray's family, then swerve the fans by bringing them in as Freebirds 2.0.

Someone with photoshop skills needs to photoshop Mark with a platinum blonde perm.  STAT.

Wonder if Scott Taylor was still glad he came out of retirement for a night after he ate that kick.  I thought maybe he'd get a broken jaw or concussion out of that.  Looked nasty.

Tonight was simply just a fun show.

And rather than thinking about the Wyatts turning Bryan heel, could the end result/objective be Bryan turning all the Wyatts babyface?

Judging by tonight's crowd vs the reception he's been getting the last few months, the end result/objective was to get them to stop chanting his name during HHH/Cena/Orton segments.

• Like 1

Jake was my favorite singles wrestler as a kid, so I marked the fuck out when he came out.

I always enjoy Old School Raw. I was hoping that Paul Heyman would have turned back the clock and came out with the 1980's cell phone or ECW baseball hat and laminated pass. I could have done without the Great Khali/Damien Sandow for two weeks straight and the divas match, but I guess that's nitpicking. The best part of the show? No HHH and Stephanie, of course.

Until Jake showed up at the end I didn't really care about the legends. I mean yeah they're fun and it's nice to see them but WWE constantly uses the same guys so seeing them isn't special anymore. I wish they'd rotate them and bring in different guys. What the fuck is a guy like Don Muraco doing that he can't show up for Old School Raw?

Other than that it was a fun show, wish Backlund had reffed the Sandow/Khali match. Bad News Barrett is quickly becoming 1 of the favorite things on the shows. I would absolutely buy merch that featured his decorum catchphrase. I loved seeing Ambrose mark out while the snake crawled over him, he seemed like a little kid.

I also think I'm at the point where I don't want to see Flair anymore. He was so sloshed tonight and was slurring his words like crazy it was awful, he looked terrible, even for modern day Flair.

If Brian was in shape/clean I'd like to see Too Cool get a run in the revived tag division maybe as foils to the Usos or something, it was good seeing them wrestle tonight.

• Like 1

They can't bring in a guy like Muraco because he'd get the same reaction Volkoff got tonight. Very few of the current crowd even remember guys like that. 

Jake might have not put the snake down Ambrose's pants but he got the tongue kiss in which was really not PG.