DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

Dean Ambrose couldn't control his grin when Damien was on top of him.  He really must have been living out a childhood dream. 

It's pretty clear that Dean is just super ticklish.  At least that's how it's going to go in my dreams tonight.

• Like 2

I liked that RAW. Kinda wish there more old school RAWs. I was marking out left & right. Ted DiBiase's laugh, all these years later, still floored me. :-)

I feel like this show was built around stuff that I cared about more. Daniel Bryan in the Wyatts. The Shield. Brock Lesnar. Talking about Big Dave coming back. I even enjoyed Ryback on commentary.

I dug it. My only real complaint was the crowd was too quiet. The Godfather should have gotten a bigger reaction, in example.

"Can we fire Justin Roberts now?" LMAO!

Let's not even talk about how hard I marked for The Snake...

After reading the house show reports, my main fear was that Bryan was going to end up the Buddy Roberts of the Wyatts. Based on tonight, it looks like they're going in the opposite direction. Plus, I'm a huge fan of coveralls in wrestling. So consider me cautiously optimistic.

Did anyone else see that "I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS" sign? Jesus, talk about old school.

• Like 6

In the course of six months, Dean Ambrose has eaten a Dusty elbow and had a snake molest his face. That's living the dream, daddy! I loved Dean trying not to laugh/smile as Damien was sliding across his skin.

Pretty fun show. Punk/Reigns was really good. Rhodes Boys vs. The Real Americans was even better. Just please keep giving me 20 minute tag team matches like this, WWE. All I ask for. The Piper/Shield stuff was great -- Ambrose really is the next Piper. He was coming off like the dude from The Warriors who says "COME OUT TO PLLAAAYYYYAYYY" and I would do anything for him to use that as a catchphrase.

The Wyatt stuff was a really interesting development. Daniel isn't brainwashed as much as he wants Bray to teach him how to unleash the monster. And, in return, he can teach The Wyatts how to win titles. That's some great hero's journey stuff there -- he has to band together with the rogues in order to get to his ultimate goal, which is to take down the machine.

The divas match stunk but I loved Alicia Fox's reaction when Aksana got the win. It made the match feel like it was an actual athletic contest. Good on her.

I can get down with Lesnar destroying giants for a bit until they figure out what to do for WrestleMania with him.

• Like 1

After reading the house show reports, my main fear was that Bryan was going to end up the Buddy Roberts of the Wyatts. Based on tonight, it looks like they're going in the opposite direction. Plus, I'm a huge fan of coveralls in wrestling. So consider me cautiously optimistic.

Did anyone else see that "I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT REIGNS" sign? Jesus, talk about old school.

Oh, for fuck's sake, that song came out in the 1990s, not the 1890s.

• Like 2

also love that they're still advertising Daniel Bryan v. Bray Wyatt in a cage for house shows (apparently they did that match over the weekend as a voluntary beating sort of thing, but i'd imagine they're turning Bryan back or doing 4 weeks of Daniel Bryan taking voluntary beatings in a case)

And Baltimore is now the site of two surprise Jake the Snake appearances

And I don't care, Bad News Barrett RULES. Him talking about flea market photo sales was great. "CAN I HAVE SOME DECORUM IN HERE?"

Ryback on commentary was really great. Also, I don't think I'm alone in not caring one bit about the title match.

• Like 3

Oh, for fuck's sake, that song came out in the 1990s, not the 1890s.

So did Monday Night Raw.

• Like 1

I mostly have been watching the football game, but we can put to bed any "can Roman Reigns have good singles matches" discussion, because that was a damn good match.

And....

JAKE JAKE JAKE JAKE JAKE JAKE JAKE