DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

The fact remains that the rather large audience of  20-somethings, (which I hope we can agree was the target demographic of the "Attitude Era"), 

The Attitude Era was pretty clearly marketed at teenagers, John.

Maybe the level of the humor was, but you really need to take some marketing classes if you don't think that the target demo was 20-somethings with disposable income. I will grant that teens with $$$ was also a target, but you don't sell a prime-time program to any network by saying that you're focusing on anything but a demo with $$$.

Which goes back to my question, about whether they were over because they were interesting OR if they were over because wrestling in general was over.

I really didn't like Too Cool, and I think I always thought the reason they were over is because of the massive party like atmosphere wrestling had back then. You could go to a show and everyone was like "FUCK YEAH WE'RE WATCHING WRESTLING EVERYTHING IS AWESOME."

Now it's like, "Yeah, I guess we're going to watch this tonight. Maybe I'll review it for my blog."

I think you're on to something here. My point (which obviously flew over FSW's head, not really surprising, but still...) was that even to the target demographic for WWE (20-somethings with disposable income), Too Cool was hardly the phenom he seems to remember. The argument of "It's on tv every week" is about as stupid as one can get when you factor in editing and WWE employees exhorting people to stand up, dance, hold up signs, shit on themselves, or whatever Pavlovian reaction is called for.  I'd actually argue that a loyal audience that can be seen to react week after week is a much better barometer. Granted, the 200 or so folks that were at the bar every Monday might be too small to be considered a decent sampling, but I'd put a lot more credence in an eyewitness than in the false nostalgia of someone who was likely throwing their pacifier at the screen during most of the 1990s.

So...you're really saying that how the crowd responds to a wrestler shouldn't be a measure of how popular they are?

No, I think that I said just the reverse.

WHO would be a slow zombie.

JimNeidhart.jpg

Did he eat all the attendees at the con?
What in the hell would possess Neidhart to take his shirt off at a convention? That guy looks scared as hell that he's going to end up as dinner for The Anvil or he'll have to deliver his baby.