DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-6-14 - Old School Raw

MGFanJay

Regardless of how over Too Cool really were, they were certainly more over than they would have been as Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher having bland interchangeable matches every week with no storyline and no direction.

Don't get me wrong, they should let the good wrestlers continue to have good matches. But I wouldn't be too upset if they gave the Kofis and Mizes of the world ridiculous gimmicks to spice them up.

Regardless of how over Too Cool really were, they were certainly more over than they would have been as Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher having bland interchangeable matches every week with no storyline and no direction.

Don't get me wrong, they should let the good wrestlers continue to have good matches. But I wouldn't be too upset if they gave the Kofis and Mizes of the world ridiculous gimmicks to spice them up.

Get rid! Promote the next guys!

Here's the only thought I have about the whole "then v. now" argument:

Yes there were more personalities in the late 90s/early aughts, but I'd often be super fucking embarrassed to watch wrestling. Now, the in-ring stuff is good-to-great more often than not and you don't have horrible shit like Beaver Cleavage fucking up your guilty pleasure TV while your wife is in the room.

• Like 2

Which goes back to my question, about whether they were over because they were interesting OR if they were over because wrestling in general was over.

I really didn't like Too Cool, and I think I always thought the reason they were over is because of the massive party like atmosphere wrestling had back then. You could go to a show and everyone was like "FUCK YEAH WE'RE WATCHING WRESTLING EVERYTHING IS AWESOME."

Now it's like, "Yeah, I guess we're going to watch this tonight. Maybe I'll review it for my blog."

This, exactly.  Too Cool were the equivalent of Tons of Funk - something for the younger crowd that a bulk of the fans didn't care about - a majority of the more vocal fans at live shows were just there to cheer along with any sort of catchphrase.

I was an adult during the Attitude era, I found all of that sniggling dick and poop humor really cringeworthy. I imagine people who were 13 found it hilarious. 

Born in 81, and while some of Venis' raunchy premach poems were funny at first he and the Godfather's schticks made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.  Some of the shit DX did was awful as well.  Venis was actually a good worker which made it more unfortunate he was saddled with a crap gimmick he never really lived down.  It really sucked when something like that was on the air the same time as one of the NWO's super tedious segments.

Which goes back to my question, about whether they were over because they were interesting OR if they were over because wrestling in general was over.

I really didn't like Too Cool, and I think I always thought the reason they were over is because of the massive party like atmosphere wrestling had back then. You could go to a show and everyone was like "FUCK YEAH WE'RE WATCHING WRESTLING EVERYTHING IS AWESOME."

Now it's like, "Yeah, I guess we're going to watch this tonight. Maybe I'll review it for my blog."

I think you're on to something here. My point (which obviously flew over FSW's head, not really surprising, but still...) was that even to the target demographic for WWE (20-somethings with disposable income), Too Cool was hardly the phenom he seems to remember. The argument of "It's on tv every week" is about as stupid as one can get when you factor in editing and WWE employees exhorting people to stand up, dance, hold up signs, shit on themselves, or whatever Pavlovian reaction is called for.  I'd actually argue that a loyal audience that can be seen to react week after week is a much better barometer. Granted, the 200 or so folks that were at the bar every Monday might be too small to be considered a decent sampling, but I'd put a lot more credence in an eyewitness than in the false nostalgia of someone who was likely throwing their pacifier at the screen during most of the 1990s.

So...you're really saying that how the crowd responds to a wrestler shouldn't be a measure of how popular they are?

• Like 1

This isn't quite the attitude era, but I remember the fist ECW on Sci-Fi show, and there were dancing girls. My girlfriend and the time sort of rolled their eyes. Then, Taz said something like "ECW is all about the extreme! Extreme action! Extreme characters! Extreme sexuality!" and the girl just sort of said out loud "this is the dumbest shit I've ever watched". It really was.

This isn't quite the attitude era, but I remember the fist ECW on Sci-Fi show, and there were dancing girls. My girlfriend and the time sort of rolled their eyes. Then, Taz said something like "ECW is all about the extreme! Extreme action! Extreme characters! Extreme sexuality!" and the girl just sort of said out loud "this is the dumbest shit I've ever watched". It really was.

Your girlfriend is Morris Day?

• Like 1