DVDVR Message Board

All Things Borderlands

RIPPA

I am finding it very annoying that nearly all bosses going forward (especially Troy's Anointed) are either highly resistant or totally immune to Cryo and Fire damage and quite a few enemies are additionally resistant or immune to Shock..

I am constantly changing Iron Bear's weapon configuration to counter the elemental resistance / immunity of some enemies I face.

Fire is highly effective against fiesh and Shock is highly effective against shields, my ass.

Radiation and Corrosive DoTs still work like a charm for the most part, though. 

Troy couldn't handle the additional bug bite damage from my Hyperion Corrosive shotty so I changed Iron Bear's weapon config to the acid damge Salamander running duo with the improved heat sink Minigun.  SUCCESS~!

The dynamic between the Calypso twins has caused me to really appreciate the writing.  Their sibling rivalry was literally lethal, wasn't it? 

Troy was willing to sacrifice his sister in order to breach the Pandora vault and in turn Tyreen DID sacrifice her brother for the opportunity to leech the power of the Pandora vault guardian and gain godlike power.

We'll see about that shit, though.   Tyreen is going to take a dirt nap in the hole right beside the spot where we bury her brother.

Edited by J.T.

RIP General Traunt.  What an asshole.

He took me two tries to beat because I was stupid.   I got downed and he had a wedge of red bar but rather than kill a Maliwan trooper for my Second Wind, I went for it and tried to kill a boss for a Second Wind and didn't quite beat the timer.

He dropped enough decent loot on the second go to pay for my previous rez.

Onto the next zone of this weird planet.

I like Typhon.  He is the answer to what if Indiana Jones would look like if he were a Jewish Hobbit.

All of the chatter between Typhon and the Sanctuary crew is telegraphing the plot, I think.

Spoiler

All of this talk about Typhon's Siren wife and him telling stories to his two kids about the Great Vault.....

... and Typhon constantly chiming in about stories being dangerous things in the wrong hands..

Doesn't take a Chinese mathematician to figure out that the Calypso twins are Typhon's kids.  

So, did their mother transfer her powers to the kids or did the twins kill her by leeching her ability?

Edited by J.T.

I love this game...until I get to a boss fight.  I have the capability to hold 375 pistol bullets (my best gun is an electric pistol) and I run out of bullets well before even half the bosses health bar is gone.  My legendary fire grenades, which blow up, then call in five more fire grenades...do next to nothing.  So, I just run around shooting the boss with every gun until I run out of bullets, throw grenades that do nothing, and then get caught on a piece of the environment and get hit with one attack from the boss and have to fight for my life.  I have nothing but legendary weapons, legendary grenades and a legendary shield...and do little to no damage to the boss, but everything they do can kill me damn near instantly.  It kind of feels cheap, especially when I'm just mowing through every other enemy.

Strangely, I managed to take down Katagawa Ball on my first try. Jumped into my Iron Bear and used my explosive mini-gun rounds to take down the yellow portion of the health bar, and then pumped as many rounds as I could from my electrified SMG into it to take out the rest. Sure, there were some periods of running around like crazy so my shields/health could recharge, but I didn't even go into "Fight For Your Life" mode.

Far less of a pain in the ass than some of these other bosses so far, to be sure. I still haven't taken another run at Killavolt and I'm 7-8 levels higher now than I was when I first went up against him.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Strangely, I managed to take down Katagawa Ball on my first try. Jumped into my Iron Bear and used my explosive mini-gun rounds to take down the yellow portion of the health bar, and then pumped as many rounds as I could from my electrified SMG into it to take out the rest. Sure, there were some periods of running around like crazy, but I didn't even go into "Fight For Your Life" mode.

Far less of a pain in the ass than some of these other bosses so far, to be sure. I still haven't taken another run at Killavolt and I'm 7-8 levels higher now than I was when I first went up against him.  I was struggling against 

Honestly, I think it all has to do with the gear that you have.  I beat the actual Katagawa in about 3 minutes.  I had just got the legendary pistol that I've been using ever since as my main weapon, and I just annihilated him.  I got to the point where the first thing I did was to find all the Typhoon drops, hunts, and Zero bounties when I reached a new area.  Having the right weapons can save you a lot of heartache.

I ended up having a much more infuriating boss battle later on but it turned out that the boss was glitched.

I mean I was still irritated that it took me like a day to beat him but at least I could try and tell myself I didn't suck

My first encounter with Katagawa Ball was infuriating but then a Torque pistol with Corrosive round fell into my lap on the way back in and I used the vent cheese spot to melt him in about five minutes.

Once its yellow barr was down, the minigun / railgun config I had on Iron Bear took out the blue bar in no time flat.

The right gear really does help.

I haven't had much time to play as we've had houseguests but last time I put an hour in I got two golds (one is mediocre, tho) so I approve of whatever they did to the droprate.

I really need a level-appropriate shock weapon to deal with these Maliwan fuckers on this asteroid.

I hadn't played since last Sunday, but I'm now on my way to Eden-6. Somehow managed to defeat The Rampager without dying and now finally have my fourth weapon slot.

I can't overstate how much I love this game and this series.

Back at it after 10 days off for vacation.  I've been cleaning up claptraps, radios, creatures for Hammerlock and Typhon caches in places I've already been to.  Hammerlock clarifying that he wasn't actually calling me a ho keeps cracking me up.  The jumping puzzle to clear out one of the radios in the swamps on Eden 6 can kiss all of my ass.

I just killed the second Vault boss I've encountered. It wasn't particularly difficult, but holy shit, did it take forever.

I could have breached a bank vault with a BB gun faster than it took me to chip away at that bastard.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, supremebve said:

FUCK THE AGONIZER 9000.

Yeah, I almost Elvised my flatscreen over that shit, but I hit enough Second Winds to keep going.

I think the update ate the gold shotgun I got from the Troy boss fight.  Not happy.

Ground my way through Tazendeer.  On to the next one.  Killed Zer0's last Target of Opportunity on the way there.  ACHIEVEMENT!

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I almost Elvised my flatscreen over that shit, but I hit enough Second Winds to keep going.

I think the update ate the gold shotgun I got from the Troy boss fight.  Not happy.

Ground my way through Tazendeer.  On to the next one.  Killed Zer0's last Target of Opportunity on the way there.  ACHIEVEMENT!

How in the blue hell did you guys kill that thing by yourselves?

I have pretty decent guns, but I have died three times to the tune of about 40k and all I can accomplish is getting the yellow bar down about 3/4.

Is it just a "hang tight and keep shooting" thing, or am I missing a safe location where I can take cover? Seemed like that was an option with most boss fights in BL 2.

• Like 1

I'm leaving the Agonizer till I'm leveled more or have some help.  Last time I tried I was WAY too underleveled. 

Right I'm wandering around cleaning up areas that I've already been to.  I finally found Balex last night, which was fun.  "You gave me ratch!" might be my favorite line in the game that doesn't involve elves.

13 minutes ago, RUkered said:

How in the blue hell did you guys kill that thing by yourselves?

I have pretty decent guns, but I have died three times to the tune of about 40k and all I can accomplish is getting the yellow bar down about 3/4.

Is it just a "hang tight and keep shooting" thing, or am I missing a safe location where I can take cover? Seemed like that was an option with most boss fights in BL 2.

I still haven't.  I have guns that seem to make short work of any and everything else I come across, but they do very little damage to that stupid boss.  There is just too much to keep an eye on for it to take so long, eventually something gets me.  I usually get to the point where you have to dodge 3 saw blades instead of one, and then shit goes bad.  I'm good when the fire is going sideways, unless he throws up a wall with the spikes over my head, but I'm terrible when the fire goes from front to back.  Don't even get me started about having to duck the spinning shit the first few times I fought him and then all of a sudden I had to jump every time...now it's switching up.  So, I have to pay attention to the fire floor, the saw blades, the knife, the spiky thing, whether I need to jump or duck the spinning shit, the standard enemies, and aim and shoot at the same damn time.

3 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I hate boss fights in general (for all games, not just Borderlands).  That one isn't the most annoying one, but it's close.

I generally love boss fights, except in Borderlands.  I hate bullet sponges.  If this fight had all of the obstacles, but actually took damage, I'd be fine with it.  It is all the obstacles and pretty much being immune to damage that makes it frustrating.

45 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I honestly don't know if I've seen a boss that has as many ways to kill you/piss you off as that thing.

I hate boss fights in general (for all games, not just Borderlands).  That one isn't the most annoying one, but it's close.

Speaking of boss fights, I do not understand how people love any of the Ninja Gaiden games. I remember one for - I think it was PS2 - where I fought some boss a dozen times before I finally beat it, only to find out that two big T Rex looking things came out immediately afterward. I shut it off and never played it again.

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for tedious bullshit in my video games. I do it to escape the tedium of life. If you're gonna throw horseshit at me, then I'm gonna Google cheat codes and shit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUkered said:

Speaking of boss fights, I do not understand how people love any of the Ninja Gaiden games. I remember one for - I think it was PS2 - where I fought some boss a dozen times before I finally beat it, only to find out that two big T Rex looking things came out immediately afterward. I shut it off and never played it again.

The older I get, the less tolerance I have for tedious bullshit in my video games. I do it to escape the tedium of life. If you're gonna throw horseshit at me, then I'm gonna Google cheat codes and shit.

I beat a boss after about 20 attempts, tried to make my way to the save point, and got killed by those ghost fish things before I could save.  Never played again.  I like a game to be challenging, but I don't do frustration for entertainment.  

• Like 1

It's funny, I don't mind the bullet sponge bosses in Borderlands.  At least not usually.  At least they follow the usual mechanics of the game.  You're still just shooting them, same as always.  You just have to do it a shitload more times.

The kinds of things I hate are more like

- bosses that are only vulnerable after you dodge their special attack.  I hated that shit in punchout back in the 80s, and I still hate it.

- bosses that are completely invulnerable unless you hit their weak spot.

- bosses that have a bunch of minions along for company, and are completely invulnerable unless you wipe out the little  bastards

- the stuff y'all have mentioned - bosses where you don't save/heal/get any ammo back afterwards and where you have to redo the boss fight if the next thing kills you.  Especially if the next thing is another boss.  My personal example is Final Fantasy 10, the only FF game I've ever tried.  Forget what the thing was, but I kinda remember having to fight the same boss 3 times in a row without any save points.

It's no coincidence that my favorite games either don't have real boss fights, or have bosses that are essentially tougher versions of regular enemies.

And I have no need of the games that folks love because they're so damn hard.  Maybe it's because I essentially didn't play video games between the Atari/Intellivision period and the PS2/XBOX period.  NES/SNES seems to have been the heyday of those types of games, and I've played maybe 20 hours of games from that time period total.  Maybe it's just because I'm old.  But I feel no need to validate my existence by beating a really hard game.  

I've got a job.  It's really fucking hard.  I'm one of a maybe a few hundred people in the world that know how to do it, and I struggle at it more often that I'd like to admit.  I've got a kid.  Raising him is a hundred times more difficult than that job.  Most of the time I have no idea if I'm doing that right, and it's infinitely more important.  If I can pull those two things off reasonably well, that's enough.  All I need from a game is a chance to have fun shooting things in the face while doing stupid stuff and laughing at it.  I got more out of beating a GTA mission with five of us standing on the roof of an airborne ambulance than I ever would from beating Dark Battle Ninja Toad Gaiden Souls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yep, I called it although it wasn't that had to figure out.

Spoiler

The Calypsos are Typhon's kids.  He's taken his son's murder by yours truly rather well.

I hope I get his whip after Tyreen nukes him.  It's bound to happen.

23 hours ago, Robert C said:

It's funny, I don't mind the bullet sponge bosses in Borderlands.  At least not usually.  At least they follow the usual mechanics of the game.  You're still just shooting them, same as always.  You just have to do it a shitload more times.

The kinds of things I hate are more like

- bosses that are only vulnerable after you dodge their special attack.  I hated that shit in punchout back in the 80s, and I still hate it.

- bosses that are completely invulnerable unless you hit their weak spot.

- bosses that have a bunch of minions along for company, and are completely invulnerable unless you wipe out the little  bastards

- the stuff y'all have mentioned - bosses where you don't save/heal/get any ammo back afterwards and where you have to redo the boss fight if the next thing kills you.  Especially if the next thing is another boss.  My personal example is Final Fantasy 10, the only FF game I've ever tried.  Forget what the thing was, but I kinda remember having to fight the same boss 3 times in a row without any save points.

It's no coincidence that my favorite games either don't have real boss fights, or have bosses that are essentially tougher versions of regular enemies.

And I have no need of the games that folks love because they're so damn hard.  Maybe it's because I essentially didn't play video games between the Atari/Intellivision period and the PS2/XBOX period.  NES/SNES seems to have been the heyday of those types of games, and I've played maybe 20 hours of games from that time period total.  Maybe it's just because I'm old.  But I feel no need to validate my existence by beating a really hard game.  

I've got a job.  It's really fucking hard.  I'm one of a maybe a few hundred people in the world that know how to do it, and I struggle at it more often that I'd like to admit.  I've got a kid.  Raising him is a hundred times more difficult than that job.  Most of the time I have no idea if I'm doing that right, and it's infinitely more important.  If I can pull those two things off reasonably well, that's enough.  All I need from a game is a chance to have fun shooting things in the face while doing stupid stuff and laughing at it.  I got more out of beating a GTA mission with five of us standing on the roof of an airborne ambulance than I ever would from beating Dark Battle Ninja Toad Gaiden Souls.

Why did you have to bring up Punchout, dalmit? I still have functioning NES and play that shit. I have never even SEEN Tyson (I'm not counting the emulator version I have on PC where I can cheat to skip levels) because I suck so much at it.

I played far too many NES games growing up, and maybe that's why I hate tedium. The ONLY game I ever beat on NES was something called Guerrilla Warfare, and the only reason I did was because the game cartridge had the ability to save progress. As I'm talking through this, I'm kind of starting to realize I've never had the patience to finish hard games, and I've been playing since 5 years old on a hand-me-down Atari my cousin gave me.

Edit: Since we're all video game nerds here, I'll include a pic of my old school gaming setup. Everything works except the N64. I have tried to troubleshoot it with no success.

Old school setup https://imgur.com/gallery/W7p8iwo

Edited by RUkered
  • Like 2