DVDVR Message Board

Was ECW ever any good at comedy?

TerjeRUN

Gertner always coming out with the bowtie on the outside of the neck brace. He was always pretty consistently funny.

The couple of Austin promos that I remember, one for Stevemania and one for Monday Nyquil ("Where the Big Boys Play With Each Other") were pretty good, too.

I always liked what I saw of Johnny Smith but for some reason he seemed to be treated as a complete joke in ECW. I remember Taz just burying him at great length during an intro to an ECW TV episode on WWE On-Demand. Very strange.

IIRC the whole build-up to the match was that Smith was pissed at RVD because they were dead last in All Japan's tag league like 5 years previously. I'm sure it would've been a good match but it wouldn't have been the type of epic brawl that you would want to end a PPV with at that time

Didn't they decide to replace him with Balls because they were more confident Balls/RVD would deliver in the main event spot than Smith would?

I feel like I've heard that before. And I also remember Taz (and Joey too, I think) burying Johnny Smith on Classics.

that seems so weird that they was the main event for that ppv.  I'm sure I watched it, but I can't remember at this point.  That was one thing as a teenager I always thought was weird... the cards were set up oddly, in my mind, and the match ups sometimes didn't seem appealing, but ended up great. 

Wasn't that the PPV though where it was right after word got out that Tazz gave notice that he was heading to WWE? I know the World Title match was supposed to be Tazz defending against Masato Tanaka, and they did the angle where Mike Awesome crashes the party to make it a "THREE WAY FUCKING DANCE!" and Tazz gets eliminated two minutes into the match. Maybe they were worried that wouldn't go over well in the main event?

that seems so weird that they was the main event for that ppv.  I'm sure I watched it, but I can't remember at this point.  That was one thing as a teenager I always thought was weird... the cards were set up oddly, in my mind, and the match ups sometimes didn't seem appealing, but ended up great. 

Wasn't that the PPV though where it was right after word got out that Tazz gave notice that he was heading to WWE? I know the World Title match was supposed to be Tazz defending against Masato Tanaka, and they did the angle where Mike Awesome crashes the party to make it a "THREE WAY FUCKING DANCE!" and Tazz gets eliminated two minutes into the match. Maybe they were worried that wouldn't go over well in the main event?

Yes, Anarchy Rulz 1999. ECW put on four great PPV's that year: Guilty as Charged, Living Dangerously, Hardcore Heaven and Anarchy Rulz. I still own the official VHS's of the latter three.

IIRC that was exactly what happened. They didn't know how the title switch would go over, so they put RVD on last because they knew he would deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

What was the deal with Johnny Smith there?  I was very disappointed that match didn't happen.

Heyman wanted to save it for another time  because he felt it was not built up enough. 

I have a fancam of a match Smith and RVD did have and I loved it.