DVDVR Message Board

Was ECW ever any good at comedy?

TerjeRUN

The Gertner rhymes were so juvenile, that you think it's one of those things you'd hate as you got older.  But no, I still chuckled the last time I heard one recently, so yeah I guess we're all juvenile lol.

I can't find the video, but there was a backstage bit in 2000.  Masato Tanaka is cutting a promo in Japanese, then Dawn Marie bursts in and tells him to quiet down because she's trying to concentrate.  He says something back to her, then Storm and Credible jump him and beat him down.  The punchline at the end is Storm saying something like "thats one less foreigner in this company we have to deal with". 

• Like 2

Dear Lord, man.  Unholy Alliance viginettes were the funniest thing ever on ECW shows.

I still cannot find the one where Tajiri mists Elektra in the eyes for slapping him after a failed attempt by the Sinister Minister to get Mikey Whipwreck laid.

• Like 1

Dear Lord, man. Unholy Alliance viginettes were the funniest thing ever on ECW shows.

I still cannot find the one where Tajiri mists Elektra in the eyes for slapping him after a failed attempt by the Sinister Minister to get Mikey Whipwreck laid.

The Unholy Alliance would have been a highlight of ECW at any point, not just the end. It seemed like such a weird combination, but it worked.

The best part of most of the Gertner poems was the crowd popping when the rhyme scheme was based around something really obvious, like Venus.

ECW did its darker, more unconventional humour well (Dudleyville stuff, for instance), but the typical wrestling broad appeal stuff always did fall kinda flat for them, with the notable exception of Joel fucking Gertner, who killed it every time.  He was so good at his stupid God damn raunchy poetry that it became a highlight of the shows.

Two of my favorites that immediately come to mind are:

1. The FBI (Guido, Rich, Smothers) coming to the ring with a bowling trophy saying they are the World Six Man Tag Team Champions, and Rich rattling off names of teams they'd beaten, including The Von Erichs, Dusty & The Road Warriors, and The Koloffs & Krushchev.

2. Lance Storm coming to the ring with a urine sample to submit for drug testing, only to, of course, have it poured into his face after a DDT by Tommy Dreamer.

1. The FBI (Guido, Rich, Smothers) coming to the ring with a bowling trophy saying they are the World Six Man Tag Team Champions, and Rich rattling off names of teams they'd beaten, including The Von Erichs, Dusty & The Road Warriors, and The Koloffs & Krushchev.

2. Lance Storm coming to the ring with a urine sample to submit for drug testing, only to, of course, have it poured into his face after a DDT by Tommy Dreamer.

Didn't he say they beat all those teams in a one night tournament in Atlanta?

"Jimmy Cornette, you pimp! Pay the hoes!"

Still use that line from time to time.

My favorite was after New Jack cut a promo one time. The camera went to Mustapha, who simply said "Boing!" to end it.

• Like 1

The New Jack chili dog promo was hilarious.

Jesus, ECW was fucking hysterical when you think about it.

Corino accusing Dusty of cutting Magnum's brake lines is funny in a fucked up way.

Edit: read through the thread: yeah, I remember when Tommy unfurled that Italian flag with his face on it and Joey just LOSING IT. One of the funniest things ever.

Didn't he say they beat all those teams in a one night tournament in Atlanta?

Something like that. I believe it was House Party '98 but I could be wrong.

Dear Lord, man. Unholy Alliance viginettes were the funniest thing ever on ECW shows.

I still cannot find the one where Tajiri mists Elektra in the eyes for slapping him after a failed attempt by the Sinister Minister to get Mikey Whipwreck laid.

The Unholy Alliance would have been a highlight of ECW at any point, not just the end. It seemed like such a weird combination, but it worked.

This may sound strange, but I always thought that Kanyon would have made a great addition to that stable. At first they could play off of Vandenberg managing him as Mortis in WCW, but then work up to the awesome comedy stuff.

"Sting got mad at me once"

"He knocked your teeth out"

"Bang bang.  Vader got made at me once"

"He ripped your ear off"

"Bang bang.  But the Public Enemy, Mikey, they're really mad at us.  You know what that means, right?"

"Yeah.  I'm gonna die"

"He likes it.  MIKEY REALLY LIKES IT!"

One of the funniest promos ever put on wrestling tv.

Didn't Mikey once tell Jack that his mom was making him retire so he didn't wind up like Jack?

• Like 3

My favorite Mikey/Cactus moment was Cactus cutting a promo about how Mikey was a terrible person for leaving his Doritos in the car when they  were riding together b/c they were tempting to Cactus and he started screaming, "Good God man, don't you know that I have an eating disorder!" It then cut to Mikey with this bewildered look on his face.

RVD had some fucking funny promos.

One had Sabu wrestling for the world title, and RVD talked about how he could have the night off whenever he wanted and RVD would defend the belt for Sabu.  He closed with "I know what you're all wondering there at home.  How is RVD gonna carry all four belts and his partner too?" and Sabu went after him, Fonzie had to break it up, etc.

Plus there was the time where Balls Mahoney challenged RVD for the TV title.  Johnny Smith was in the ring and Balls and Axl came out for the challenge.  Storm demanded that they rescind their challenge.  Axl yelled "RESCIND THIS, BITCH!" and killed Johnny Smith with a chair.

They had Johnny Smith come in to do that which adds an extra layer of comedy.

Man, Balls and RVD was really good, but kind of fucked up. Balls hit a top rope nutcracker suite for the first time, and it only got a two count. Not that I think Balls was the right guy to get the belt off of RVD, but that might have been the right kind of mega death move to do it.