DVDVR Message Board

Was ECW ever any good at comedy?

TerjeRUN

The FBI? Little Guido pinning one of those plastic lawn Santas while The Big Don gives the three count. Tommy Rich and Tracy Smothers in general were brilliant, and for sure brought some comedy. I always got a chuckle when Joel Gertner did that little dance. I was watching a fan cam from '98 and Lance Storm of all people had me howling. I'm convinced if this board saw the match, it might change the collective opinion of him.

Mikey and the Public Enemy, Mikey with the unwanted TV and Tag (w/Cactus Jack) titles, the FBI, early Dudley/Bubba stuff - all these things made me laugh and laugh. Some stuff was so clever that it made me laugh, like the "Taz is gonna kill you", 911, Cactus Jack, Raven and Steve Austin promos, lotsa Sandman stuff. I did not like most of the comedy for the sake of comedy stuff of later years ("CHICKENS" still cracks me up).

sometimes Sign Guy too,

RAF

What in US wrestling was funnier than the FBI in the 90s? Dusty on commentary and Jericho's act in 98 but that's about it.

Bobby Heenan commentary from the late 80's early 90's smokes everything you mentioned specially when he's rambling about the Hart family.

"And the other brothers name is Bruce; isn't that right? Now isn't that a stupid name? You got 9 months and you come up with Bruce."

"I asked Stu, I said; 'Stu, you have to be proud of your boys.' He said; 'I have boys?'"

"Wouldn't you classify that 20 members of the Hart family living together is classified as a ghetto?"

"Isn't it funny that all the Hart daughters all look like their mom. I mean same age. They all look like they're 85 or 87."

"Her face can hold an 8 day rain with all those wrinkles."

Here's another good Heenan line:

Some more funny Heenan one liners:

I was at the Arena the first time Tommy Rich unfurled the Italian flag with his face airbrushed on it. So great.

My favorite ECW comedy moment: When Shane Douglass claimed he had sex with Francine while wearing one of his titles; The Franchise admitting to the crowd he was unable to maintain an erection because he lost said title; Steve Corino badgering Limp Bizkit fans and all things Gertner.

I love D-Von Dudley's debut at Massacre on Queens Boulevard in 1996. So funny from the promos, the match itself and the referee getting a twatting.

Mikey, Tajiri and the Sinister Minister in 2000 for sure. The Unholy Alliance, terrific.

Joel Gertner's dirty rhymes for the most part.

"From Atlanta, Italy, Tommy Rich!"

"From Nashville, Italy, Tracy Smothers!"

I always loved RVD's constant put-downs of Sabu during their promos.

And I know it  isn't technically supposed to be comedy, but I still get a chuckle out of "My daddy's a drunk! I worship Raven now!"

Always love the angle where Beulah said she was pregnant just for the entire arena yelling that Blue Meanie did it... totally hysterical watching him lose his shit and comically beg off,

The promos setting up Stevie Richards vs Johnny Grunge in a Lower wears a Dress match, with Jason offering to wear the dress for Stevie if he loses... now they were fantastic.