DVDVR Message Board

Archer Thread.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I'm 6 episodes into Season 5 (which is up on Netflix now) and I can't help feel like it...well, sucks.  The characters are all kinda turning into one-dimensional: Archer using 'Danger Zone' when it doesn't really apply, Carol screaming constantly, Lana being the wet blanket, Pam being a coke-fiend, Ray being stereotypically gay.  Whereas in the past, they all had some depth: Lana was the wet blanket but she had some good lines, Carol did stuff other than scream, Ray was a perfectly funny well-rounded character and didn't cry all the time.  I find Krieger and Cyril to be the only characters with any real direction or humor to them.  And the weird emotional moments they try to throw in just feel way off, like Lana being all overcome at Archer giving her his cradle or their tender moment in the kitchen while the FBI agent tries to break down the door or Archer saying that they all like Pam the way she was before.  I'm hoping it picks up but I am just not into this season at all, and it has nothing to do with the 'Archer Vice' angle, I think that's pretty brilliant.  But whereas they should be using this as an opportunity for them to be going on crazy drug-dealing missions and the like, the dealing is in the background and almost never important in any way.

• Like 1

So I'm 6 episodes into Season 5 (which is up on Netflix now) and I can't help feel like it...well, sucks.  The characters are all kinda turning into one-dimensional: Archer using 'Danger Zone' when it doesn't really apply, Carol screaming constantly, Lana being the wet blanket, Pam being a coke-fiend, Ray being stereotypically gay.  Whereas in the past, they all had some depth: Lana was the wet blanket but she had some good lines, Carol did stuff other than scream, Ray was a perfectly funny well-rounded character and didn't cry all the time.  I find Krieger and Cyril to be the only characters with any real direction or humor to them.  And the weird emotional moments they try to throw in just feel way off, like Lana being all overcome at Archer giving her his cradle or their tender moment in the kitchen while the FBI agent tries to break down the door or Archer saying that they all like Pam the way she was before.  I'm hoping it picks up but I am just not into this season at all, and it has nothing to do with the 'Archer Vice' angle, I think that's pretty brilliant.  But whereas they should be using this as an opportunity for them to be going on crazy drug-dealing missions and the like, the dealing is in the background and almost never important in any way.

Yea... I thought the first half of Season 5 was lacking and was getting to into the characters being too over the top.  But the season got better as it rolled along I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Ramo2653

I just recently finished Season 5 and the characters did get a little too one note and grating by the end of the season. It was kinda a chore to get through the last few episodes.

I'm hoping the new season is better.

I just recently finished Season 5 and the characters did get a little too one note and grating by the end of the season. It was kinda a chore to get through the last few episodes.

I'm hoping the new season is better.

Yeah, I think season 4 sounds funnier than it actually is.  Archer Vice is a great concept, and if you try to explain the season to someone by summarizing plots, it sounds hilarious.  But the actual episodes are kinda average and most of the character changes were annoying.  It's basically the Will Ferrell of Archer seasons.  Sounds like it would be a lot more hilarious than it actually is.

Still get a kick out of cokehead Pam, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Great way to get back into the season.  Poor Mallory, you could see her hopes and dreams dissapear with the hologram reveal.  Liked Archer showing a bit of compassion, which is nice.  I think later in the season he's going to show more of that, but for now he's in denial.  I find it interesting in the end he revealed he was part of the design committee.  His line about not liking change seemed like it's related to the baby situation as well.  That, or I'm putting too much thought into this.  But either way, I'm liking it so far.

I LITERALLY enjoyed everything about this episode.  See what I did there? 

Good to see Slater back, and the animatronic baby is begging to be a gif.  Holy cow Krieger almost stole the episode with that one.

• Like 1