DVDVR Message Board

Archer Thread.

Ryan

So far, its another shit show like last season. Plot heavy episodes in Archer are generally bad, as they try so hard to set the mood its loses the comedy, as if them just resembling something famous is funny on its own. There were a couple in the Archer Vice season too, especially the Smokey and the Bandit one, which just did not come off.  I'll watch the rest of the season, but I hope the last two seasons are a lot less esoteric. . . .

• Like 1

I will say that while it's still not all-out hilarious at least this one had me laughing a good bit more than the premiere.  But I'm hoping once they finish Dreamland they go balls out crazy to end the series.

• Like 1

I liked the episode a lot.  It felt more like the Archer that we're used to seeing and had more comedy going for it.  I loved Ray's band and hope to see more interaction between Archer and them.

FXX doesn' seem to be putting this season up On Demand.  At least, I can't find it on Comcast.  :(

If they're trying to force me to use their website or watch the show as it airs, sorry, that's not gonna work.  Might have worked before the Archer Vice and Archer Noir seasons, tho.

• Like 1

My cable (Charter) just put up an episode last week, but it's the shitty kind of on demand where you can't ff/rewind/stop and all of the commercials are in - and for a 30 minute show, there is a shit ton of commercials.  I'll probably give another episode a shot, but I might just wait for the season to hit Netflix or Hulu.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, on its face, last night was interesting in that the writing is still the same, but it's still disorienting to see where each cast member has landed now.  (Mallory owns a hotel, Lana is a princess, Cheryl is not batshit insane, etc.)  Still funny and sharp, but Archer has turned into an American Horror Story-esque show where the cast plays different characters each season.  I think it's a bold choice to make.  And since it's Archer, I'm willing to see where this story goes.   

I still want the next (and last) season to wrap up the original thread.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure they have gone this direction because there isn't enough left in the main story to continue on for several seasons. I'm fine with with watching Archer's comma dreams/fantatsies.

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cheryl is not batshit insane

You have to know Cheryl is goign to eventually go batshit insane. That will never not be the case.

• Like 1

Krieger as a bird is both adorable and hilarious at the same time.  If he somehow does Krieger things in that form then I'll lose my mind.

And I like the different setting.  It pads out the show, sure.  But it's still really funny and gives us a sense of what Archer's thinking while in a coma.  Which is most definitely what you'd imagine he'd be thinking in that state.

• 1 month later...

This season wrapped up on Wednesday.   And I wanted to say,  this season was terrific in a completely new way.   Like I said earlier, the show being Archer's coma-dreams stroyline-wise/Adam Reed doing AHS with these characters meta-wise is a great way to extend the show.   

The story itself was filled with subtle and obvious references to the show's past while pushing the new narrative forward.  

And that ending...

Spoiler

Archer's death leading to Season 10 apparently being on them being on the Suvlaco from Alien?   Very nice. 

• Like 3

• 11 months later...