DVDVR Message Board

Archer Thread.

Ryan

The Flanders thing is fair enough, but I think it really only applies to Pam and Cheryl/Carol. Archer and Mallory are still the same people, Lana maybe has been amped up a bit, Ray is more or less the same(with the running side gag he gets crippled more and more as each season goes on), and Krieger has always been an insane bastard. The problem has been not that the plots and characters are too loony, but that they are too sane. . . .for me anyway.

I think it is a risk that every show runs into that spans more than four or five seasons. Pam and Cheryl are definitely the main culprits of that, I don't think Archer and Lana are worse but it is more their behavior after six seasons is just getting repetitive. We talked about it over in the South Park thread how between seasons four and six the kids started the same thing, just taking their main trait and making it their only trait. Same with The Office. The show still gets chuckles out of me so I will still watch it, but it will probably never reach the first three seasons to me in terms of entertainment as there are only so many times you can make a similar joke with the same characters.

I still think its one of the funniest shows on TV and I watch it every week, I just have lessened my expectations a bit.

I will just say everyone ending up as clowns ala The Dark Knight was just terrific.  Re-introducing Peele & Simmons was also good.  Hell, I'd watch a whole episode of just those two. 

• 4 weeks later...

One problem with these short seasons is just as they were getting going, it was over. With a whole new theme, it took several episodes to establish the new story and then they had to almost go straight to the climax without as many 'mindless fun' filler episodes that the show is usually so good at.

I did really enjoy the two part finale. I'm just annoyed that we only get ten episodes. Not sure if we have to spoiler tag it but since it just happened I'll be nice.

Ignoring the implication that Archer is dead, since I highly doubt it (even though it was a fun and well done double swerve), I liked they showed them doing real investigating. Archer plays as an oaf but occasionally does show he is good at what he does, so I was glad he came to the conclusion himself who the guilty party was without any real assistance. Even if his plan didn't work. But still, it was a fun final episode.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So one of the show runners says Season 8 may center around Woodhouse.  He wouldn't divulge more than that.

Interesting, and this is one of the few shows I trust to turn back the clock to Archer Vice, when he disappeared, pick up the trail from there, and cohesively push a larger storyline forward. 

• 2 months later...

Yeah, but bad Archer(like the main plot episodes of last season) are still pretty good. I think they are better staying away from the high concept stuff, most of the great episodes seem to be about random shit going wrong. . . .

Pretty much. I think I laughed out loud under 3 or 4 times last season. Just not very funny stuff, the characters are mostly Flanderized at this stage (Caley called it early), and the plots aren't clever or entertaining for the most part. I threw on a random episode of Frisky Dingo for shits and giggles this week and laughed several times even though I've seen it three times before. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wore a "Sterling Archer For Danger Zone President 2016" shirt to work a few weeks back. My boss(who is 70) asked me "Who is Sterling Archer?" I could only reply with "it's a really funny tv show".

• Like 1

I really, really wanted to like the fact that with Archer in a coma he's got this film noir world that he goes to.  But the lack of comedy just felt odd.  I'm hoping it picks up in that department otherwise it might be a chore to get through these.