DVDVR Message Board

So, I just ordered a PS 3

Get PS+ and you'll get Bioshock Infinite next month for as long as you're a member.

Edit: looking at the list of available free games at the moment:

Uncharted 3

X-Com Enemy Unknown

Shadow of Colossus

ICO

Borderlands 2

Grid 2

and others.

It's such a no-brainer. I can't believe I went so long without it. As somebody pointed out to me, you don't even have to download them onto your hard drive to have them for as long as you're a member, you just have to purchase them in the store. They rotate through games though, so, those games listed above won't be available for free "purchase" forever.

Playstation Plus is a complete must.  I literally have not bought a game in a year just from playing all the stuff on there.  Also, Playstation Plus really has nothing to do with online gaming, that's XBOX that makes you pay for it.

Get the Infamous Collection.  $38 on Amazon.  It's two full games plus an add on and it's one of the few video games (that wasn't GTA) that I went from start to finish like a total gamer addict. 

Oh, and....GOD OF WAR.  You can buy any of the early ones for $10.  Or just get the Saga Collection for $30.

Metal Gear Solid 4. It's still the system's gold standard.

Brian, if you haven't played the previous Metal Gear games, I recommend getting the collection.

RED DEAD REDEMPTION.

The best game of its generation.

Red Dead Redemption is the western game, right?

Years and years and years ago on this board, when I was still an active gamer, I once posted something about how if I could do anything in video games, I would make a an action/rpg hybrid Western where you can choose between being an old school movie hero, or the kind of guy that paints the whole town red and renames it Hell.  So, yeah, when that first came out, I remember being intrigued.

Echoing the sentiments of Red Dead Redemption. Just a brilliant emotive story. Plus, bears!

Metal Gear Solid IV is a must - so many ways of reaching your goal - no two playthroughs would be the same, imo.

I really enjoy playing need for speed hot pursuit. Looks beautiful, plays well, and is just difficult enough for you to go back and shave seconds off your best time.

If you're into the run and gun thing...borderlands is for you. Fun on a bun.

I'm a huge mark for telltale games lego versions of games. Lego lord of the rings, lego star wars, lego dc. Not difficult in the slightest, but real fun.

Oh, and skyrim. Beautiful.

I just got a PS3 as well last month. Do get + when you get the chance. I can't afford games all that much but what you get with + will keep you playing. I also have this years NCAA and it is great. MLB The Show 13 is also great. 

Fowler, I recently got a PS4 and only plan on keeping GTA V for PS3.  I have a bunch of other games for it including Red Dead.  If you're interested in them you can PM me.  Not looking to make any money on the games, if you cover cost of shipping they're yours. 

• Like 1

Saints Row 2-4 are probably the best sandbox games on the system.  Just totally nutter butters action and mayhem.  Just Cause 2 can be had for less than $15 most places and is also worth it for sandbox mayhem.  If you like Hong Kong action movies then give Sleeping Dogs a try.

Demon's Souls & Dark Souls are rigorously difficult action-RPGs.  If you can get past the near-vertical learning curve they're incredibly rewarding.  And they are, refreshingly, totally free from the hand-holding that's endemic in modern games.

Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are the best 2D platformers in, like, forever.

Far Cry 3 is a good sneaky/shooty open-world FPS, but has a pretty shit story.  Borderlands 1&2 are basically FPS Diablo.  The second has some genuinely funny writing as well.

The NBA 2Kxx games are all really good, although the newest one apparently has a lot of microtransaction bullshit in it.

Lots of great suggestions so far.  What hasn't been mentioned are the "other" benefits to PS+: cloud backup of all your game saves and automatic game & system downloads/patches/updates.  You can go into the PS store and add a bunch of stuff to download and then it'll download AND install them automatically overnight.  Man that's nice.

As for games:

Assassin's Creed 2 - Best game ever.  Seriously.  This dethroned Super Mario World after a 20-year run on the top of my list.

Uncharted 2 - The entire series is good but #2 is amazing.  The train sequence is the most incredible gaming sequence ever.

Infamous 1 & 2 - Great games.  I platinumed both, which involves playing through both twice.  Don't bother with the Festival of Blood add-on.  It sucked.

Ni No Kuni - The most beautiful game ever.  A bit of a grind, as you'd expect from a JRPG, but very good.

Killzone 2 & 3 - My favorite FPS series.  It was #2 that taught me that FPS games on consoles could actually work.

Have fun, tons of great games on the system!

GTA V is a must.

I'll second the God of War series, although you'll only play it once.  The Infamous series isn't bad either.  The rest of the Arkham games, and I'll second Sleeping Dogs.

No one mentioned the Assassin's Creed series.  Play it, seriously.  You can skip one, but don't miss the Ezio trilogy.

MLB: The Show is the baseball game to end all baseball games.

Yeah, GTA V is the first thing on my "too buy when I get through/sick of these other games and have money to blow" list.  I had been planning on getting the GTA V bundle pack, but it was sold out at amazon, so, c'est la vie.

Pretty much any game I'd recommend is already in this thread so I won't throw anymore out but I do have to re-emphasize that PS+ will certainly be worth a buy.  So many great games available.  Plus the actual discounts are pretty decent on games.

I actually got a PS3 for Christmas myself. It came with a free year of PS+ and Uncharted 3 while another gift of mine was Last of US. This has been a useful thread. I have a question though as to what are the worthwhile RPGs for the PS3? I have picked up FFXIII and am know to eventually check Ni no Kuni.

I actually got a PS3 for Christmas myself. It came with a free year of PS+ and Uncharted 3 while another gift of mine was Last of US. This has been a useful thread. I have a question though as to what are the worthwhile RPGs for the PS3? I have picked up FFXIII and am know to eventually check Ni no Kuni.

You might give Dragon's Dogma a shot.  It's free on PS+, at least I think it's still up there, and has some pretty fun combat and deep systems.  Boss fights in particular are a blast as you get to climb all over giant monsters.