DVDVR Message Board

A SAINTS ROW THREAD

RIPPA

It's not a combination of 1 and 3, it's literally 3, exactly

It's also not Literally 3, Exactly. Saints Row The Third was the first well-written, non-shameful game parody. Saints Row IV is pandering, a thank-you letter to not letting Volition get totally ignored like the Darksiders studio did when THQ melted. They're dancing to the beat of economic tommy guns. If paying $50 to hear the the hits- and a few new tunes*- is your idea of a good time, then march proudly, without fear, into infinite jest.

*the "romance system" is, admittedly, a good gag.

My personal demon among activities was Fraud, though I manged to start getting gold a lot once I said screw the "special" zones and just going onto the big highway that goes across the map.

Going for the highway has always made Fraud easier.  The superpowers make it almost too easy this time out.  I've gotten gold on most of them from just one or two combos.

I meant the map was exactly like 3, but if you thought 3 was well written you're beyond hope anyway, and I doubt you've even played IV.

3 was a DLC release platform with no second act that cheaped out on every moment it manufactured, yet was still somehow addictive as fuck. 4 has decent parody in there, especially stuff like the Gat and Matt loyalty missions.

The first nonshameful, well-written game parody was Day of the Tentacle, which gets referenced in SRIV

I meant the map was exactly like 3, but if you thought 3 was well written you're beyond hope anyway, and I doubt you've even played IV.

In reverse order:

-Posted Image

-I stand by it. The Third was bone stupid, but "good comedy" is something that video games still have a LOT of trouble with, and it was funny throughout. Games have an even worse history with parody, and it pulls that off too. Ergo, "well written."

-Misread: thought Poe stopped talking about layout immediately because he then transitioned from there to talking about the gameplay, where the SR1 comparison makes more sense, which then caused me to read what you said as what I responded to and not what it was. So, I apologize for that.

I still think SR4 is bullshit, I just deployed my ordinance on an undeserving target.

We have different ideas of what good comedy is, I guess. What's your favorite comedy on TV right now? None isn't an answer if you were thinking that, you have to pick one.

I haven't watched a television show that wasn't The Daily Show or sports in maybe five years, but I posses the complete runs of MST3k and Sifl & Olly, if that helps.EDIT: Oh, how about Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson? That still happens and there's jokes, does that count?

Oh My God, but I am the king of Insurance Fraud.  Find the special spot near on a freeway and just make kajillions of dollarz.

My bane activity in SR The Third was Hard-Level Cyber Trailblazing.  In SR2, nothing infuriated me more than Heli Assault.

The thing with Heli Assault is to vary your tactics depending on whether you're firing rockets or machine guns. If it's guns, you can prioritize the enemies in the homie's path. If it's rockets, doing that means you're likely to blow your homie up, so prioritize the enemies approaching from the rear, since you need to get them before they close in, and wait for your homie to get around the car in front of them before blowing it up.

I didn't mind Heli Assault in 2 so much except for the mission in the Tera Patrick DLC, which is probably the most annoying mission in any of the three SR games I've played.  Just relied way too much on perfect timing combined with a dose of dumb luck.

I don't like Rift much.  Maybe it's because I am partially color blind but I just find it hard to see what is going on.

I still haven't been playing too many story missions.  I did do enough to get telekenesis (meh) and fire (cool).  I probably should get a move on with the story because at this rate I will not have this game finished by the time GTAV comes out.

The romance options are pretty funny.  Maybe one day Keith David will fall to my advances ;)