DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Can we just make a sitcom thread so the other ones don't get cluttered like this and the TV thread? Please.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the Big Bang thread. 

Now to get this train back on track:

I was watching The Usual Suspects a minute ago (before I saw that Robocop was on. Robocop immediately trumps anything when it's on) and it was surreal seeing Giancarlo Esposito, who I never remember is in the movie. Especially considering he wasn't talking with Gustavo Fring's accent. 

I've also never watched The Wire, largely because I have an avowed hatred of police procedurals, but it's been on my "too-watch someday, maybe" list for awhile just because of all the praise it gets.

EDIT:  "read"  What the hell Brian?

Police procedurals are really hit and miss with me. You've got NCIS, which has to be the blandest, most safest show in existence. Same with all the CSIs. Then you've got great shows like Hannibal, Elementary and Person of Interest which are genuinely good and full of interesting characters and stories.

I kinda like Blue Bloods too even though the storytelling leaves a lot to be desired. It might just be Donnie Wahlberg beating up jabronis while Tom Selleck's mustaches gives wise speeches and tells his family how to run their lives. That's quality entertainment right there.

Though I haven't watched it in some time, I think the original CSI takes a bit too much flak.  Sure, it has its share of run-of-the-mill episodes.  But they also did some nifty stuff, like the Miniature Killer arc weaved into the show for a couple of seasons.  They also did a pretty good job of making Las Vegas itself a character within the show.  I think they tried to be fairly creative within the confines of broadcast TV.

Then there's the Tarantino-directed "Grave Danger" ep for the Season 5 finale that was really good.

I've also never watched The Wire, largely because I have an avowed hatred of police procedurals, but it's been on my "too-watch someday, maybe" list for awhile just because of all the praise it gets.

I'd say it's more of a character piece than strict police procedural.  I mean, there's details on how to arrest them so that charges will stick and fighting with superiors who want stats more than real world results and stuff, but the whole roster of characters is so rich that it's so much more than a police procedural.  There's all sorts of awesome character arcs: McNulty's redemption followed by crash followed by finding out what really makes him happy; the slow reveal of Avon Barksdale; Omar's revenge; Stringer Bell usurping Avon's empire; Frank Sobotka's story; Bunny's attempt to curb crime; the stories of all the kids in Season 4; the rise of Marlo Stanfield; Cutty Wise's story; the election of the mayor.  Man, there's so much good stories in there and they're not strictly police stories in the slightest!

I'm sure The Wire is very good, but I'm not really into those "gritty, ultra-realistic" type shows. It seems like something I'd watch and just get depressed about.

While it is gritty and ultra-realistic and there are some moments that are just devastating, there's also equal amounts of "Whoa, that was bad-ass" and dashes of humor in there, too.  I've probably legitimately laughed out loud at least once per episode in there.

Which reminds me, I really have to finish watching Season 5 already.

• Like 3

I'd say it's more of a character piece than strict police procedural.  I mean, there's details on how to arrest them so that charges will stick and fighting with superiors who want stats more than real world results and stuff, but the whole roster of characters is so rich that it's so much more than a police procedural.  There's all sorts of awesome character arcs: McNulty's redemption followed by crash followed by finding out what really makes him happy; the slow reveal of Avon Barksdale; Omar's revenge; Stringer Bell usurping Avon's empire; Frank Sobotka's story; Bunny's attempt to curb crime; the stories of all the kids in Season 4; the rise of Marlo Stanfield; Cutty Wise's story; the election of the mayor.  Man, there's so much good stories in there and they're not strictly police stories in the slightest!

I'm sure The Wire is very good, but I'm not really into those "gritty, ultra-realistic" type shows. It seems like something I'd watch and just get depressed about.

While it is gritty and ultra-realistic and there are some moments that are just devastating, there's also equal amounts of "Whoa, that was bad-ass" and dashes of humor in there, too.  I've probably legitimately laughed out loud at least once per episode in there.

Which reminds me, I really have to finish watching Season 5 already.

Fantastic post RE: The Wire, but isn't this exactly why we have both a TV shows thread and a The Wire thread. As a recent watcher I can certainly appreciate the discussion. 

I watched Pacific Rim, but fell asleep. I need to revisit. Visuals looked pretty awesome. 

Is this a new thing? Being proud of not having watched something that a lot of people like? I've never watched The West Wing, suck it, losers!

Anyways, I've recently rewatched Temple of Doom for the millionth time and I will never understand why this movie gets so much flak. It's so much fun, almost non-stop ridiculous action. I honestly might even prefer it over Raiders. I understand people don't like the Willie and Short Round characters, but come on, they're not that bad.

What caley said. The dialogue is absolutely the best too and yes you will laugh out loud many times despite the heartbreaking storylines.

EDIT: But yes, this is the movie thread. In that spirit, since my VCR finally works with the new TV I busted out all the old boxes of VHS accumulated over the years. I found some early UFC originals, a ton of Ilsa films, some nunsploitation I didn't know I had (pervy little bastard I was, ordering those from Video Mayhem of Florida), and a thousand comp tapes I dubbed from rentals. One of them has a Something Weird trailer comp, Fist of the North Star (anime version), and the Argento cut of Dawn of the Dead on it. Speaking of Something Weird, I don't believe this was mentioned here. 

http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/memory-something-weird-founder-mike-vraney-1957-2014/

I still remember sitting down every Saturday and watching Reel Wild Cinema with Sandra Bernhardt on USA where all of Mike's finds would be on display in their awful glory. Also didn't know he managed DKs, TSOL and the Accused! God, TSOL, that must've been a handful trying to keep them out of jail/above the ground...

My back is acting up again so I'm laid up watching Netflix again:

The Last Stand - Just added to Netflix, I've been wanting to see this since I first saw a trailer. Arnie is a sheriff of a small town through which a major drug lord is going to pass to try and escape to Mexico. Arnie and friends - including scorching hit Jaimie Alexander - put together an arsenal to stop him. Much carnage ensues. This is old school violent action with humor mixed in on top of a not-deep plot. And it's great. Lots of crazy action, lots of blood. 7.5/10.

• Like 2