DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Some completely random movie thoughts...

1. Watched Pickpocket yesterday, and there's an actress in there named Marika Green. Completely gorgeous, with a huge resemblance to a fuller Natalie Portman.

marika-green.png

m%20robert%20bresson%20pickpocket%20dvd%

Doing a Google search, it turns out she was also this woman in Emmanuelle. She gets very naked, but I guess she never looked as good as she did in Pickpocket.

a5f6431c98421b0a2cd50df955d3e07a.jpg

She is also Eva Green's aunt.

2. Felicity Jones is adorable. She's going to be making a bigger splash in Hollywood this year with Spiderman 2, and I predict a lot of guys falling for her.

3. How come in multi-million dollar effects films, when they show a photograph of characters who knew each other 10 years ago, it always, always looks badly photoshopped? They seem to spend huge amounts of money on special effects, but farm out the photo job to some 15 year old high school kid.

Watching Bloodsport for god knows how many times already, still enjoy it.  Loved how there were highlights of the fighters and lot of them we never saw again until like Chong Li destroyed them.

Speaking on Chong Li, two things, one, I loved how they portrayed him as the unstoppable beast even until the semi-finals with his fight again Chuan IP Mung, which, I'm glad wasn't as much of a squash as the others were. 

And I find it funny, Chong is Korean, yet he's played by Bolo, who if I'm not mistaken is Chinese right?

I was shocked that he was like 42 when that movie was made. He looked a lot younger.

Some completely random movie thoughts...

3. How come in multi-million dollar effects films, when they show a photograph of characters who knew each other 10 years ago, it always, always looks badly photoshopped? They seem to spend huge amounts of money on special effects, but farm out the photo job to some 15 year old high school kid.

This movie cost $130 million to make...and I have seen Syfy Original movies with better special effects.

Empires of the Deep is a 3D action-adventure fantasy film, described by the production team as "an unlikely love story between a young human and a mermaid... set in a mythical world,"

And here I was, anticipating a political thriller.

• Like 1

I might be giving them too much credit for clever storytelling but did anyone think there were strong hints Ali was in cahoots with the coven and had been turned at some point after the events second film?

She sent them to that house by themselves, even though she had to know, or at least have an idea, what would happen when they got there. Also, if she knows exactly where the coven is, why has she been sitting on this info for years? Why not get the authorities involved?

She's also a loose end for the cult, and these are people that have made a point of killing anyone who even comes close to figuring out what they're up to.

I'd say you're right in thinking that. It's the only thing that makes logical sense.

Pretty good movie that really adds a lot to the whole PA mythos, even if it has the same logic problems that all "found footage" movies do. I'm not sure how the ending is supposed to fit with the established time line, but Jorge Diaz deserves an award because he sold the shit out of it.

Watching Bloodsport for god knows how many times already, still enjoy it. Loved how there were highlights of the fighters and lot of them we never saw again until like Chong Li destroyed them.

Speaking on Chong Li, two things, one, I loved how they portrayed him as the unstoppable beast even until the semi-finals with his fight again Chuan IP Mung, which, I'm glad wasn't as much of a squash as the others were.

And I find it funny, Chong is Korean, yet he's played by Bolo, who if I'm not mistaken is Chinese right?

I was shocked that he was like 42 when that movie was made. He looked a lot younger.

He still looks about the same and is in great shape. Supposedly he is a super nice guy in person.

I watched it recently too and feel the same way. Mind you, I still really like TDKR, but it's like Goyer and the Nolan brothers completely forgot about how they ended TDK when they wrote TDKR.

• Like 1

I watched it recently too and feel the same way. Mind you, I still really like TDKR, but it's like Goyer and the Nolan brothers completely forgot about how they ended TDK when they wrote TDKR.

Yeah it was all set up for Batman on the run, mob bosses free and clear, the horrible truth about Harvey Dent in the background. Instead "8 years later Batman is gone"... I loved TDKR but this confirms to me that Nolan is too far up his own ass to be saved. A shame.

Also watched the new Carrie. I loved and hated it. I hated everything about it, CGM is way over her head with this and it was cheesy as fuck. On the other hand it's basically the story of kids picking on young Marcus Henriston and setting him up for a fall at the Prom. Then he turns into Mark Henry and obliterates everyone. Most of Carrie's powers are lifted from Mark Henry anyway.

Dan in Real Life - Holy cow do I love this movie. Steve Carell is Dan, a widowed advice columnist and father of three. He's at a family weekend when he meets an incredible woman, only to find out later - when she shows up at that family weekend - that she's his brother's girlfriend. This is a sweet, gentle movie that's very funny but in an understated way. Carell is fantastic and Dane Cook is good as the brother. Just a fantastic movie - 9/10.

The idea implied as the end of TDK was that Batman was going to continue fighting crime while running from the cops, and Gordon was going to chase him. Clearly, that's not the movie that got made. Too bad, I think it would have been way better than the first two hours of TDKR.

• Like 1

The idea implied as the end of TDK was that Batman was going to continue fighting crime while running from the cops, and Gordon was going to chase him. Clearly, that's not the movie that got made. Too bad, I think it would have been way better than the first two hours of TDKR.

That's the direction I hoped for.

I've always kind of looked at the series as three standalone movies. I guess Batman Begins leads right into TDK concerning Joker but the Dent story line plays out it one movie. I'm thinking Dent to Two Face could have been played out into the first act of part 3 with Bane or whoever lurking in the shadows.

• Like 1

With the exception of the whole pit ordeal, I didn't find it to be boring at all.  Any and all criticism about depositing Batman in a hole halfway around the world with an 15 year old TV is both valid and warranted. "'The Dark Knight RISES' from under the ground!" we get in Nolan. You love symbolism.

Literally nothing other than Selina didn't bore me until Bruce finally escaped. The bike chase is dull, the first Batman/ Bane fight is god awful, the ludicrous stock plot is just fucking dumb... But god that last act is awesome.