DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I liked Snow White and the Huntsman more than I thought I would, and I thought it was going to be awful. Kristen Stewart is okay, but she has this problem of feeling very anachronistic to the time period she's in. She just feels like a girl from 2009 or whatever the year was. Thor and Charlize Theron are both good in it, and the action is actually pretty nice. I'd probably rather watch it again than a lot of other blockbuster-y movies.

All that being said, if your options are Snow White and a ton of other stuff...you know... go with the other stuff I guess.

In fairness, I think the idea was meant to be that Snow White had inner qualities that made her beautiful not that she was actually better looking.

I mean I dislike Stewart as an actress, but I can't give her grief for not being hotter than Charlize Theron. Who is?

It was always going to be a casting struggle.

Saw Into the Woods with my mother today.  If you liked the musical, you'll like the movie as they kept 95% of the songs/plot the same and all the actors were really good.  I don't known how people that didn't see the musical will react to it but its the closest 'play/musical to movie' adaptation I have ever seen.  Recommended for sure if you like musicals, but if you don't.... probably should avoid it.

What movies did everyone get for the Holidays? I had a light year, but I can't complain because of all the other stuff I got was cool.

Just these three blurays: L'Avventura, Nashville, and Akira. I've got a feeling the christmas cash will pick up one or two more - but I think my wife and I are set on a new TV. finally.

I got Kings of Summer, Her, 21 Jump Street, The Trip, and Jack Reacher.  

On Boxing Day (This is basically a Canadian Black Friday but comes after Christmas, in case y'all didn't know), I picked up 22 Jump Street ($10!), Bad Words ($4!), and Super 8 ($2!).

What movies did everyone get for the Holidays? I had a light year, but I can't complain because of all the other stuff I got was cool.

Just these three blurays: L'Avventura, Nashville, and Akira. I've got a feeling the christmas cash will pick up one or two more - but I think my wife and I are set on a new TV. finally.

I don't go too crazy with what I buy anymore. Since Black Friday, I picked up the Tati Set, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  

I don't go too crazy with what I buy anymore. Since Black Friday, I picked up the Tati Set, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  

I was hoping to pick that up for Christmas/Shopping but didn't see the Blu-Ray for under $30-ish bucks.  Tati set sounds nice, too, but I really only need 'Play Time'.

I was hoping to pick that up for Christmas/Shopping but didn't see the Blu-Ray for under $30-ish bucks.  Tati set sounds nice, too, but I really only need 'Play Time'.

I price-matched Amazon to score Guardians for $20. I don't buy a lot anymore, and I try not to buy a lot of blockbuster/mainstream stuff anymore just because how easy it is to access within a couple months, but my fiance didn't see Guardians in the theaters and I wanted her to see it.

I price-matched Amazon to score Guardians for $20. I don't buy a lot anymore, and I try not to buy a lot of blockbuster/mainstream stuff anymore just because how easy it is to access within a couple months, but my fiance didn't see Guardians in the theaters and I wanted her to see it.

I know how you feel.  I bought a copy for my brother-in-law, but I'm thinking of renting it tomorrow because I'd really like to see it again, and show it to some folks who hadn't seen it.

Has anyone ever noticed how the end of Blood Simple is pure Argento? Huge shadows cut with bright pastels, crazy camera work, wild situations involving brutal violence, lots of windows. It's like the Coens' little tribute to him. Go watch a little bit of Suspiria and then that back to back and tell me there isn't an absurd similarity.