DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I saw Manhunter for the first time a few weeks ago and I've already watched it three more times. I can't believe I'd never seen it before, it's fucking awesome. This may be contentious but I think it's a much better film than Lambs.

Manhunter is sooooo awesome.  I don't think it's contentious at all, and this board probably won't, but outside of here you might get shouted down because of Hopkins' iconic performance.

If you like Manhunter that much, that means you love Red Dragon by proxy. I can't support someone who openly loves Brett Ratner's work. Thus, your opinion on To Live and Die in LA is invalid.

Saying liking 'Manhunter' means you love 'Red Dragon' by proxy is like saying loving 'Psycho' by Alfred Hitchcock means you also love 'Psycho' with Vince Vaughn or loving 'The Wicker Man' with Christopher Lee means you also love 'The Wicker Man' with Nicolas Cage (Though I'm in the camp of liking the remake more than the original! Contentious!).  They're completely disparate.  Just two totally completely different movies, even though they have the same plotline.

To Live and Die In LA is overlong, but awesome. Insane chase sequence and Dafoe is great as a mostly cool-headed hustler with this deep-set psychotic edge that comes screaming out when you push him too hard. This might be the only film where aside from his grill he doesn't look like a complete freak facially either. Unlike in Manhunter, I found Petersen mostly unlikeable but that's the point. As an actor he tends to do a good job of that.

I think that people who don't care for To Live & Die In LA really don't get what it is about.   It may look like a crime drama but it really is a fable.

Friedkin's tale of law enforcement agents slowly and willingly giving in to the temptations of the other side and turning into the monsters they hunt, and a psychotic counterfeiter who murders without remorse yet keeps his promises deserves more love. 

I always thought this movie was woefully misunderstood by the critics and they punished it for not being what they wanted it to be.  How dare a crime film be more about crime!!

Manhunter > Red Dragon if only because Michael Mann had the forethought to keep the feeling of a suspense thriller and loose all of the silly shit from Harris's novel.

Frances Dollarhyde just waltzes in to the Brooklyn Museum of Fine Art and eats Blake's original watercolor of The Great Red Dragon And The Woman Cloaked In Sun.   What sort of parallel dimension history bullshit is this?

A question about Ghostbusters...

So, paranormal activity ramps up in connection with Gozer's coming. I also know that Gozer's coming is the result of rituals to summon Gozer 100s or 1000s of years ago.

About the containment unit, though. The containment unit was beginning to fail, was it not? So was Peck killing the power to the unit a part of prophecy, or would the containment unit eventually fail and explode anyway? Not sure why I thought about that today, but I did. I'm just foggy on whether or not the unit would have failed anyway, or if Peck shutting it down was a part of the universe's plan, like he was just another cog.

So, paranormal activity ramps up in connection with Gozer's coming. I also know that Gozer's coming is the result of rituals to summon Gozer 100s or 1000s of years ago.

About the containment unit, though. The containment unit was beginning to fail, was it not? So was Peck killing the power to the unit a part of prophecy, or would the containment unit eventually fail and explode anyway? Not sure why I thought about that today, but I did. I'm just foggy on whether or not the unit would have failed anyway, or if Peck shutting it down was a part of the universe's plan, like he was just another cog.

I always fall back on the Twinkie analogy.  Eventually there would've been enough spiritual turbulence to open the gateway and that would've been the true sign of Gozer's arrival.  

The Ghostbusters were just slowing down the process by capturing spirits and keeping them in the containment field.

Peck just jumpstarted Armageddon by being a dumbass and releasing all of the ghosts at once..

I always fall back on the Twinkie analogy.  Eventually there would've been enough spiritual turbulence to open the gateway and that would've been the true sign of Gozer's arrival.  

The Ghostbusters were just slowing down the process by capturing spirits and keeping them in the containment field.

Peck just jumpstarted Armageddon by being a dumbass and releasing all of the ghosts at once..

Plus he has no dick.

• Like 5

I may have mentioned this a while back when I rewatched GHOSTBUSTERS after Harold Ramis died, but what's amazing about the Peck character is that he's in, literally, TWO scenes, and yet he still became an iconic 80's bad guy.

William Atherton had sleaze on lock in the 80's.

I love the story Atherton tells about being in a city somewhere and someone yells out of a car or bus or something, "YOU HAVE NO DICK!" and how that was a frequent occurrence.

I also love that Kevin Smith tried casting him as Mr. Svenning, but Atherton thought such a movie was beneath him...so he appeared in Bio-dome instead.

LIFE OF CRIME was tremendously disappointing. Not bad per se, but when you've got a cast as good as this, it seems like a failure to only deliver a competent movie. It just wants to be JACKIE BROWN so, so bad...and it's not even close.

Wait, someone correct me here, was Divergent actually good?!  I just finished it and was totally into it.  Nice cast (Shailene Woodley, Miles Teller (whom I'm starting to come around on), Jai Courtenay (Who seems to be pretty awesome in everything that's not Die Hard), Mekhi Phifer, Ashley Judd, Ray Stevenson, Zoe Kravitz, Tony Goldwyn, Maggie Q, and Kate Mothereffin' Winslet (?!?!), great score, surprisingly entertaining fight and action scenes, neat dystopian set-pieces, interesting story.  Look, I totally enjoyed the first 'Hunger Games' (Still haven't gotten around to #2), but I think this smoked The Hunger Games.  Also, that Theo James...whatta fox...I'm not gay...but I probably would.  Throw in a couple Ellie Goulding songs, then a showcase for an m83 song and you've got yourself a perfectly acceptable movie.

Also watched

Point Break which has been one of those movies I just haven't been able to track down for YEARS (Not at local video stores, not in the library's collection, no one locally selling it, rarely on TV anymore) when it was recently added to Canadian Netflix.  I pretty much loved it.  Patrick Swayze was king-sized as Bodhi (the sky-diving scene -with Swayze ACTUALLY doing the skydiving!- was intense), but Lori Petty was sure cute in her role.  Its funny, though, I've watched lots of parody/satire comedy from the early 90s (The Critic, Simpsons, Mr. Show, SNL from that period) and they were always taking potshots at Keanu Reeves and I never really knew why, like he was perfect as Ted and perfectly fine as Neo etc. etc.  But, seeing 'Point Break' finally clues me in as he ranges from "Okay, I'll buy that" to just cringe-inducingly bad at times.  There were scenes where I thought he was supposed to be sarcastic but actually was just...dude.  Realistically, watching this then watching some, even as pedestrian as 'Devil's Advocate', you can't say that Keanu Reeves didn't massively improve as an actor.

I Give It A Year which I actually didn't mind.  It's a romantic comedy, that's not really that romantic, with Raif Spall and Rose Byrne (Sigh....Rose Byrne...) as a couple who has a whirlwind romance, gets married, then quickly starts to drift apart.  It's actually more in line with a Judd Apatow/Nicholas Stoller film than something like 'Love, Actually' with some reasonably raunchy humor.  The ending is soo unbelievably convenient and outside the realm of reality that it gets the old eyes rolling pretty good, but I enjoyed Minnie Driver in it, and also loved Stephen Merchant as the terrible, horrible best friend of the groom (His speech at their wedding goes something like "Duties as a Best Man include getting the groom to the wedding, tick.  Bringing the rings, tick.  And sleeping with a bridesmaid" at which point it pans over to the two 5-6 year old girls who were the bridesmaids at which point he says "That was before I knew it was them....I would never sleep with them.  Well, maybe in a few years."  People really HATE this one on IMDB, though.  I think a lot of that is because of people really hating that

the couple doesn't stay together

but I liked the deviation from the romantic comedy formula.

I love the story Atherton tells about being in a city somewhere and someone yells out of a car or bus or something, "YOU HAVE NO DICK!" and how that was a frequent occurrence.

I also love that Kevin Smith tried casting him as Mr. Svenning, but Atherton thought such a movie was beneath him...so he appeared in Bio-dome instead.

Thank God he did because Atherton fucking knocks it out of the park in Bio Dome.  

Saw 'St. Vincent' and really rather liked it. It's the old 'crotchety old fuck bonds with kid' cliche but it works because the crotchety old fuck is Bill Murray and this is my automatic reaction to anything Bill Murray related:

That being said, Naomi Watts threatens to steal the show and even Melissa McCarthy herself didn't offend me.

Murray pissing around and singing Dylan might be my all time favourite credits sequence ever too.

Saw 'St. Vincent' and really rather liked it. It's the old 'crotchety old fuck bonds with kid' cliche but it works because the crotchety old fuck is Bill Murray and this is my automatic reaction to anything Bill Murray related:

That being said, Naomi Watts threatens to steal the show and even Melissa McCarthy herself didn't offend me.

Murray pissing around and singing Dylan might be my all time favourite credits sequence ever too.

I've never seen a shitty Bill Murray movie. I've only seen shitty movies that have any sort of redeeming value b/c Bill Murray is in it.

Reminds me, I forgot about Deadgirl (if you count fucking zombies as necrophilia which technically it is I suppose). Any film about Dahmer or Ted Bundy count as well and there are two really good ones, the one with Jeremy Renner and the one with Michael Reilly Burke.

The only thing that Deadgirl has going for it is the interesting premise of Is It Necrophilia If She Is Stll Moving?

Ultimately I hate this movie because all of the characters are either douchebags, cretins, or both.  There isn't even one remotely likeable character in the film.  Even the guy that is engineered to be sympathetic is a complete tool.