DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Smokey and the Bandit Part 3: God help me, I actually kinda liked this movie.  I mean, it's dumb.  Oh man is it dumb.  Like, if the movie was a person, it would be the kind who sits in the corner, eating paste.  But it embraced its stupidity, and everyone seemed to be having a good time in a way no one in 'Smokey 2' seemed to be.  It's also totally fascinating in that it's rumored that the film was originally supposed to be 'Smokey Is the Bandit' with Gleason playing both the Smokey and the Bandit, but that test audiences hated the idea, so mid-way you're supposed to go from sort-of/not really rooting for Buford to rooting against him when The Snowman shows up.  BTW, the point where The Snowman shows up is pretty much one of the most fascinating looks at deep-rooted depression ever set out on film.  You see, the two Enoses call up Snowman and ask him to mess with Buford, at which point the Snowman begins to cheer and shout "I get to be the Bandit!" then goes home and dresses up like Burt Reynolds (Complete with fake mustache) and runs around yelling "I get to be the Bandit!" then tells jokes to his dog that he laughs at, then drives around reveling in attention he gets from people who think he's the Bandit.  It's really sad.  There were some big stunts, totally unnecessary nudity, and a couple really good songs by John Stewart (Whom I had no idea about before but am kinda liking in a sounds like Johnny Cash with a drum machine and keyboard kind of way).

Thank God.  Someone who gets it.  The first 40 minutes of this movie are just insane, bizarre, surreal, and hilarious.  It's nothing but Gleason at his laziest...which is so fun to watch.  They just dump him into one insane setting after another and tell him to say stuff and he does and I could watch that for days.

The PATTON scene at the beginning...the fact that they jump through a giant American flag with their car for no reason to start their "trip to Florida" (like, seriously, are we supposed to imagine that actually happened?  They had someone set up a ramp and a giant flag to needless jump through, destroying ll their belongings and seriously damaging their car?).

The Enos'es delivery of every single line of dialog is inscrutable.  Come...HERE...SOOOOOOOON...AAAAAAAAAAH'CVE GOTAAAAAAA PLAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHNNNNN!  

"But WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE...A CHOCOLLLATE CHIP COOOOOOKKIIIEEEEE< DDDDADDDYYYY????"

Their reactions to everyone else's dialog, like a series of mini-seizures. 

Jesus.

This is a movie that features the following lines:

"Junior, we gotta get rid of dese CLAN CLOOOOOWWWWNNNNS!"

"Daddy?  Were you ever in the clan?"

"No.  But your MOMMA WAS!  When she put on her sheet.  She looked like a ice berg with feet! HEHEHEHEHEHEH!"

I also love Buford's utter disdain for every other law enforcement officer he encounters.  The entire world is just an obstacle course to him and everyone in it, whichever side of the law, is just a buffoon in his way or a target to be crashed into.

Every single thing is precious surreal bizarre gold until that blonde lady shows up.  Then it's death.  I always turn it off there

It's all that much better knowing that they originally shot the entire movie with Gleason playing both Buford and the bandit.  It was originally titled SMOKEY IS THE BANDIT.  But test audiences were too stupid to understand this brilliant David Lynch-esque version and so they reshot all those scenes with Jerry Reed.

Also realize they had half as much money to work with for this movie than they had for Part II (admittedly, almost all of that extra money would have been saved not having Reynolds or Field in the cast).

"Junior, we gotta get rid of dese CLAN CLOOOOOWWWWNNNNS!"

"Daddy?  Were you ever in the clan?"

"No.  But your MOMMA WAS!  When she put on her sheet.  She looked like a ice berg with feet! HEHEHEHEHEHEH!"

Oh man, I forgot about the Klan scene!  When the truckfull of Klan members start terrorizing the two black guys in the truck it should be a horrible, unsettling thing.  But the movie instead plays it straight for laughs, replete with wacky banjo-y soundtrack.

I also forgot about the completely insane orgy hotel where the Enos Boys show up undercover as women (Even though no one, save Buford and son know who they are) and get violated by a group of bodybuilders, leading them to drive away with Little Enos trying to remember what the bodybuilder's phone number was.

So insane.

It was like, take the Id of a 70 year old man living in the 1980s...and film it, undistilled.

Like, it's a dream Gleason might have for a therapist to interpret "Well, I was carrying around a giant fish inside this motel.  And every door I opened had different animals having sex...and then my giant son picked me up and carried me to the beach..."

Smokey 3 was actually the first of the series I saw.  It came on some random non-cable channel one weekend afternoon (probably after I'd finished watching WWF Superstars/Challenge) and 12 year old me thought it was hilarious.  I don't think I've seen it since then so there's no clue how it would hold up but it was so over the top absurd that I think I might still like it.  I'm sure it's better than the second, which I watched just a few years ago and was taken aback at how bad it was - it's one of those situations where they pretty much try and re-do or one up what made the first one great, but completely miss the spirit of it and just do a half-assed job.

I may be a bit prejudiced because it was one of a small handful of movies that my grandpa made me go see with him.  It was rare, but every now and then the old man would show up and be like "Gleason has a new movie.  The boy has to go see it with me."  I was his excuse whenever he saw a movie commercial for something that got his attention.

So, the ride home was my grandpa doing a Gleason impression and making fun of everyone he saw while driving around in his mammoth Buick Regal.

This also happened with THE STING 2, and among non Gleason movies GHOSTBUSTERS ("I don't know what this ghost shit is about, but the boy has to go see it with me."  and PALE RIDER ("Eastwood's got some new movie out. The boy has to go see it with me.")

GHOSTBUSTERS in particular led to some moments of him driving past someone and yelling "Hey, that man has no dick!  And that guy...he's got no dick!"  It was also the first time I can remember cussing around an adult without getting in trouble.  "Hey grampa...that guys dickless too, right?"  "You got it, boy!  No dick!  Let's go get some fried fish!"  It was a great day.

• Like 6

That also does not appear to be Raging Bull...

Send me the blu ray, I'll watch it ASAP.

You know, I really should upgrade from DVD to blu-ray one of these days...

I suppose I could slum down to a DVD for a classic.

I may be a bit prejudiced because it was one of a small handful of movies that my grandpa made me go see with him.  It was rare, but every now and then the old man would show up and be like "Gleason has a new movie.  The boy has to go see it with me."  I was his excuse whenever he saw a movie commercial for something that got his attention.

So, the ride home was my grandpa doing a Gleason impression and making fun of everyone he saw while driving around in his mammoth Buick Regal.

This also happened with THE STING 2, and among non Gleason movies GHOSTBUSTERS ("I don't know what this ghost shit is about, but the boy has to go see it with me."  and PALE RIDER ("Eastwood's got some new movie out. The boy has to go see it with me.")

GHOSTBUSTERS in particular led to some moments of him driving past someone and yelling "Hey, that man has no dick!  And that guy...he's got no dick!"  It was also the first time I can remember cussing around an adult without getting in trouble.  "Hey grampa...that guys dickless too, right?"  "You got it, boy!  No dick!  Let's go get some fried fish!"  It was a great day.

Your grandpa sounds like George Segal's character on The Goldbergs.

• Like 1

He was a fun guy.  The kind of guy that would show up at 11:00 at night with a shit load of barbecue that "fell off a truck" and want to cook it up immediately.  That kind of old depression era dude who got his first job because he was a good ballplayer and the company team needed a ringer. 

He was also raided by the FBI once at his tavern.  Something to do with running the local poker game.  And he was brought home by the head of the Teamster's local.  He would also scoop me up some times to "take me to the zoo" which I always knew was code for "take me to Fairmount Park to bet on the horses."

I watched Side Effects yesterday. Nearly halfway through I sent a text to my friend saying how awful it was and how awful the acting was. About 5 minutes later the movie turned the corner and became something good. The acting was still bad at times, but I actually wound up liking it quite a bit.

This might be favourite DVDVR post ever.  I even read it out to my family on family night.

Saw THE DROP yesterday. Was really waiting to see this. James Gandolfini is excellent playing essentially an alternate version of Tony Soprano. Tom Hardy is pretty decent essentially doing his best Stallone impression. Matthias Schoenaerts was a pleasant surprise as I had never seen any of his work before, he sure can pull off a scary scumbag. Movie had a nice twist but lagged in parts. 7.5/10, glad I saw it.

Got into some Wild Turkey and settled in to watch The Messenger. Suddenly turned into a Fred Williamson marathon. Cameron Mitchell and Joe Spinell sharing a scene was a moment of pure clarified butter. Mitchell was chewing on a wet stogie in every fucking scene he had.

Next up is Night Vision.  Williamson with Cynthia Rothrock and Robert Forster?  Jesus Fucking Christ.

Then Down 'n Dirty, One Down, Two to go, White Fire, Deadly Impact then Death Journey.  I've seen Original Gangstas but I'll probably watch it again because it's on Amazon instant.

This might be favourite DVDVR post ever.  I even read it out to my family on family night.

Further update to family night, we watched I, Frankenstein.  It was terrible.

• Like 1

Is it true that the only interesting thing in the trailer (specifically the line "Frankenstein must be destroyed") doesn't even show up in the damn film?

I don't even remember that line one way or the other, in all honesty.

Basically, Frankenstein (Or 'Adam' as he's known in the movie, which is apparently a call back to the book, a book, or something that people were freaking out about online) has been moodily wandering the Earth for 200 years, killing demons after being saved by gargoyles who are really saints/angels who kill demons.  So Frankenstein, is basically a goth guy in really good shape, he wanders around talking about how know one understands him, how much he hates his dad, and has goth eyeliner on.  Bill Nighy is an evil dude who's really a demon who runs a corporation that is trying to recreate Dr. Frankenstein's experiments with a comely reasearcher whom Adam eventually meets.  There are two scenes where people COMPLETELY reverse their earlier positions with little, or no explanation, whatsoever.

The researcher, after being saved by Adam, helps him stitch up his wounds, talks about how she's there for him and he's not alone anymore then when leaving goes "Well, look out for yourself, because apparently that's what you do best!" that elicited a "WHOA!" from our family because it just came out of nowhere.  Then the *sigh* queen of the gargoyle order, after repeatedly saving and standing up for Adam tells the gargoyles to find him and kill him.  Characters in I, Frakenstein have some rather extreme mood swings

There's some cool effects, some cool fights, but only Bill Nighy seems to realize how ridiculous the whole movie is and revels in it, everyone else plays it super-serious like they're performing Shakespeare.

Wow.  They even went and got Bill Nighy.  Is it possible to put less mental effort into a concept?

It pretty much smacked of "Well the writer also did the Underworld movies so we're looking for someone like Bill Nighy in those ones." "How about Bill Nighy?" "Done."

Finally got around to watching Oculus (2013/14). Good but not great. Had decent atmosphere, but I never felt any palpable dread. Was totally surprised by the absence of modern jump scares. The film was good enough to make me dig a little deeper into it's origin, so I watched the short film afterwards. It was good, as well. I understand the fine line between telling too much and too little, but I felt they missed out by not really telling anything about the origin of the mirror. Any back story is about previous owners and their fates. Really my only gripe. My wife, who is not a longtime horror fan, felt pretty much the same.

Hopefully this did enough business that they'll do some expanding on the story in a future film.

No Good Deed was a movie that did not suck but it wasn't great either.  The twist was sorta trite,

He's not there to terrorize her specifically.  He's there to get back at her husband for having an affair with his fiance while he was in prison.

but I did appreciate not having my intelligence insulted.  I got to see a distressed character on the screen in a suspense thriller that didn't act like a complete idiot.

It was no Cape Fear, though. 

The Hammer talk reminds me that Take A Hard Ride keeps showing up on the pay channels and I never finish watching it. C'mon, Jim Brown, the Hammer, Lee Van Cleef in a western? Directed by Antonio Margheriti?! How bad am I missing out?

And Jim Kelly ... man, *never* forget Jim Kelly.

• Like 1