DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Jackie Brown is definitely his best film (I voted it the best film of the 90's, in fact.)

Although the single best thing he's ever done is the opening chapter of Inglorious Basterds.

For the first time in years, I turned off a movie when I wasn't even halfway in: The Counselor is such a pile of shit it's beyond my comprehension. With that writer, that director and those actors you make that movie. From the opening scene to... wherever the hell I stopped watching it was so brutally horrible. The dialogues were mind-blowingly aggravating, ludicrous, self-important and just plain bad. Good God.

• Like 2

For the first time in years, I turned off a movie when I wasn't even halfway in: The Counselor is such a pile of shit it's beyond my comprehension. With that writer, that director and those actors you make that movie. From the opening scene to... wherever the hell I stopped watching it was so brutally horrible. The dialogues were mind-blowingly aggravating, ludicrous, self-important and just plain bad. Good God.

When I think of people that should be writing the screenplay based on their own works, I definitely think of Cormac McCarthy.

I did the same thng, when I got it from netflix.   It is a  special achievement to fuck up that bad with such talent. . . 

Just watched Mud. Damn good coming of age movie. Ray McKinnon turned in a really good performance as the dad. It was strange to see Michael Shannon playing a fairly nice character. I've only really seen him in Boardwalk Empire, Iceman (a biopic about Richard Kuklinksi) and the Superman movie. I kept waiting for his character to try to strangle his nephew or track down Mud and murder or blackmail him.

I just rewatched 'Mud' last night for the 34rd or 4th time.

You should see Shannon in 'Shotgun Stories' and 'Take Shelter'.  In the former he's the oldest of a set of brothers embroiled in a blood feud with another set of half-brothers.  He's great in it.  In the latter, he's a guy who begins to see apocalyptic visions and isn't sure if what he's seeing is a harbinger of things to come or a mental illness.  He seems like such a good guy that you find yourself rooting for an apocalypse just so he'll be right.

But you've probably already seen him as a nice guy.

The newlywed in 'Groundhog Day' who is SO stoked to get tickets to Wrestlemania!

Ha, I'd forgotten all about that! Too bad I could only like this post once.

Now imagine how much more sense it would make if the bad guys were werewolves

I just watched this myself and I really enjoyed. That being said, with all the talk in the film about wendigos and nature being out of balance plus Fitchner eating people's body parts; I was shocked that there was no supernatural element involved.

Don't care how many times I've watched Tin Cup, its one of those "if its on I watch it" movies. Its not a great movie, but by no means is it a bad one. It might just be Kevin Costner's best post Water World film. Its got the perfect cast, makes golf interesting and has a perfect pay-off. Possibly one of the most underrated movies of the 90s

James

I was just reminded of the suspense in the Jackie Brown scene where Sam Jackson turns off the lights and attempts to strangle her before she sticks the gun to his crotch. That is something that is close to the open of Basterds as you are going to get from him. Such an awesome film...

• Like 3

Don't care how many times I've watched Tin Cup, its one of those "if its on I watch it" movies. Its not a great movie, but by no means is it a bad one. It might just be Kevin Costner's best post Water World film. Its got the perfect cast, makes golf interesting and has a perfect pay-off. Possibly one of the most underrated movies of the 90s

James

Hm...  Better than Open Range?

• Like 1

James

Uh, hello, Mr. Brooks?
  • Like 2

Speaking of Liam Neeson, so is he basically just going to star in different versions of Taken and sequels to Taken? Not that it's a bad thing. Was just wondering.

The funny thing about Liam Neeson is that Schindler's List got him so much dramatic cred that people forget that he first made a name for himself in cheesy action flicks like Darkman and Next Of Kin, he still does plenty of cheesy stuff like A-Team or that recent Seth McFarlane abortion, and for the bulk of his career as a name guy he's been a big-budget franchise guy (Star Wars trilogies, Nolan Batman, Chronicles Of Narnia, Clash/Wrath Of The Titans, etc.). For all intents and purposes he's an action star who does the occasional Michael Collins or Kinsey to remind people he can act.