DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

So we're probably looking at Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy & Medea as your new Ghostbusters.

Tina Fey as Venkman

Amy Poehler as Rae

Maya Rudolph in the Egon role

Melissa McCarthy as "Winston", the "fat" Ghostbuster.

Kristen Wiig gets the Moranis gimmick, and John Hamm is Dana.

Book it.

So we're probably looking at Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy & Medea as your new Ghostbusters.

Tina Fey as Venkman

Amy Poehler as Rae

Kristen Wiig gets the Moranis gimmick, and John Hamm is DanaZuul.

Book it.

FTFY

Tina Fey as Venkman

Amy Poehler as Rae

Kristen Wiig gets the Moranis gimmick, and John Hamm is Dana.

Book it.

Jim from the Office as the receptionist at hq, META!

If movies weren't so fucking youth-obsessed we could do this right with:

Ian McShane as Venkman,
JK Simmons as Ray,  
Giancarlo Esposito as Egon,
and Harry Dean Stanton as Rick Moranis.

Bebe Neuwirth can be Dana

If we have to go with ladies, then:

Sandra Oh is Venkman
Amy Sedaris is Ray
Bebe Neuwirth is Egon

Dana is Claire Daines...oh, yeah...you know it, Vince Russo style, baby....

So Jaws is really good.  Super-entertaining and basically two hours of almost pure suspense.  It really plays like one of the best Alfred Hitchcock movies that Hitchcock never made from the score, to the pure suspense, to the wacky small-town satire.  I'm not sure how I've never seen it before, but now I have.  Actually, glancing over Spileberg's filmography, there's probably no bigger name director whose movies I've just never gotten around to: Duel, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 1941, The Color Purple, Amistad, The Terminal, Munich, War Horse, Lincoln.  Odd, because I'm a pretty big fan of lots of his stuff: Indiana Jones, AI, War of the Worlds, and the oft-forgotten-but-much-beloved-by-me 'Always'.

Also Movie 43 is just dreadful.  I'm not sure there's a better collection of talent (Chris Pratt, Anna Faris, Patrick Warburton, Chloe Moretz, JB Smoove, Jason Sudeikis, Dennis Quaid, Greg Kinnear, Halle Berry, Stephen Merchant, Gerard Butler, Elizabeth Banks, Emma Stone, Johnny Knoxville, Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet (Though admittedly I missed their segment) in a shockingly unfunny collection of sketches.  I think I laughed three times (At Sudeikis as Batman, Quaid telling movie exec Kinnear that he got onto the lot by blowing a security guard even though he resisted and Seth MacFarlane talking about having to get back to tape "American Guy...is that what it's called.  Yeah, American Guy.").  I'm kinda baffled at what exactly it was that Rocky Russo did to get all these famous and reasonably talented people to work on his unfunny jokes.  Is he someone famous' friend? Is he someone famous' son?  Did he win a contest?  Baffling.

Did anybody go see Dragonball Z:Battle Of Gods tonight? I went and the theater was completely full. I loved it aside from technical difficulties thru out. 

Anybody know what the threshold of success is for it right now? I am hoping the movie next year gets a full release in America much closer to the Japanese release date.

Unlikely, no matter what it does. DragonBall has a good following here, but even though Funimation is one of the best with English dubs, they don't have the best turnaround time.

SNOWPIERCER was awesome. I might even like it more than GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. That axe fight! That school room scene!! Song Kang-Ho and Tilda Swinton!!! Best English-language debut from the current crop of Korean directors, by a fair sight.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who demands plausibility from their dystopic science-fiction. I mean, it's about a giant train that circles the world one a year--like PACIFIC RIM, if you don't dig the concept, you shouldn't watch the fucking thing.

I watched Anchorman 2 last night. Just the theatrical version. Can't imagine the R rated one was that much funnier. It had its moments that really made me laugh, but most of it was just ehhh. I thought the worst parts of the film were with Bric and Kristin Wigg's character. Those scenes just grinded the movie to a hault.

The news team fight was by far the funniest part of the movie.

Unlikely, no matter what it does. DragonBall has a good following here, but even though Funimation is one of the best with English dubs, they don't have the best turnaround time.

I mean I just hope it does not mean waiting an entire year. If it does well, maybe Funimation can get a head start on dubbing it.

Also I wish they would get the rights to Son Goku and Friends Return and even the new Bardock Special. 

SNOWPIERCER was awesome. I might even like it more than GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. That axe fight! That school room scene!! Song Kang-Ho and Tilda Swinton!!! Best English-language debut from the current crop of Korean directors, by a fair sight.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who demands plausibility from their dystopic science-fiction. I mean, it's about a giant train that circles the world one a year--like PACIFIC RIM, if you don't dig the concept, you shouldn't watch the fucking thing.

Snowpiercer is fucking king sized.  No one with Xfinity has an excuse for not having seen this already at least three times.

Haven't played BIOSHOCK. The source material for SNOWPIERCER is from the 80s, but I dunno how faithful of an adaptation it is.

I haven't read Le Transperceneige Vol 1 & 2 in years, but the movie is fairly faithful from what I can recall.

I think I lost those graphic novels to theft in college, so I may have to go to Amazon and order a new set.

It might be awhile. I'm terrible about seeing movies when they came out. I think this year I've seen Nymphomaniac Vol. 1, Only Lovers Left Alive, Lego Movie, and Guardians of the Galaxy in theatres. Two of those were because of my son - I'll let you figure out which.