DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Part 2 is such a convoluted thing.  I mean, they literally have to stop the movie and break out some charts in the middle just to explain what the fuck is going on.  It's the worst of the three by a huge margin.

Part III is fucking awesome.

Part II isn't convoluted at all. The chalkboard thing is because filmmakers, rightly or not, often assume that their audience is full of morons.

III took a long time to grow on me, since for the longest time, anything set in the Old West, traditional Western or not, meant ZZZZZZZZ.

Went to see How To Train Your Dragon 2 with my kid on Friday. 

It is as charming and heartwarming as you think it will be, but the reviews saying that it is better than Frozen obviously come from people that have not seen or think it is en vogue to hate on Frozen.

Frozen's got some serious failings. At the least, it's not nearly as good as, let's say Enchanted or Tangled, as it pertains to recent Disney offerings. 

I'm with Matt on this. I liked Frozen well enough, but by the end I was wondering how in the hell it became so popular.

It is as charming and heartwarming as you think it will be, but the reviews saying that it is better than Frozen obviously come from people that have not seen or think it is en vogue to hate on Frozen.

Frozen's got some serious failings. At the least, it's not nearly as good as, let's say Enchanted or Tangled, as it pertains to recent Disney offerings. 

I'm with Matt on this. I liked Frozen well enough, but by the end I was wondering how in the hell it became so popular.

While we're agreeing with me, I think Brave has a lot of issues too, even if it's a damn pretty movie. 

BttF 2 might be the worst of the 3, but fuck if I don't still love it.  I still quote lots of it, and I even dropped "I can't be fired....I'M FIIIIIIIRREEEDDD AAAHHHHH" when I was let go from a job I hated last year.

• Like 1

Same here.  I mean, it was entertaining and all but nowhere near as good as the box office and hype would indicate.

BttF 2 might be the worst of the 3, but fuck if I don't still love it.  I still quote lots of it, and I even dropped "I can't be fired....I'M FIIIIIIIRREEEDDD AAAHHHHH" when I was let go from a job I hated last year.

This is me when I come home: "Hello hello hello.... Hell-o"

It is as charming and heartwarming as you think it will be, but the reviews saying that it is better than Frozen obviously come from people that have not seen or think it is en vogue to hate on Frozen.

IIRC that quote came from Shawn Edwards from "Fox TV" who apparently gets blown every time he's watched a movie because he's never given a negative review.

Frozen was good, although it has a weird structure (it kinda just stops being a musical at a certain point, for one thing) but it certainly didn't strike me as being notably better than Tangled (or worse, for that matter.  They are kind of a matched pair, to me (hell, Rapunzel and Flynn are even guests at the party.)

The best recent review was for 'Earth to Echo' where the one critics review says "It's a live-action Wall•E meets E.T. meets Stand By Me".  I wish every critic would review movies that way: "It's like Taken meets Frozen crossed With Cannibal Holocaust!"

• Like 1

I keep seeing that trailer at every movie I've gone to see in the last, like, 3 months.  And I keep thinking "you know, I didn't even really like E.T. all that much, why would I go see this?"

• Like 1

Went to go see A Million ways to die in the west. It was ok but I think I have finally out grown the Family Guy/Seth humor. It had a few laughs and my favorite part was

the random Ryan Reynolds cameo and death. At least I think that was him.

I've decided this summer to get to a number of films I should HAVE seen but have somehow slept on/skipped/never gotten around to.

So tonight I finally sat down and watched Caddyshack and you know what? It holds up.  The movie kinda drags a little any time it focuses too much on the caddies, but man Ted Knight, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase and Rodney Dangerfield are just incredible in this.  Dangerfield's dancing just SLAYED me.  Also, pretty sure I'm going to try to slip "Ratfarts!" into everyday situations.

Fruitvale Station: Covers the last day in the life of Oscar Grant, an unarmed black guy who got shot by the cops New Year Day in 2009 in what was a pretty big news story at the time. It's interesting because it doesn't go as much into the racial politics, or the aftermath, nearly as much as you'd think. You just spend most of the movie getting to know this nice, flawed guy then he's just gone in a horrendous, totally avoidable situation. Maybe they make too much of a saint out of the guy. I'm not sure why you'd fight and struggle with armed police over something as minor as a short brawl on a train. But he's still definitely the victim, though.

Michael B. Jordan is really good here. You really get attached to him. Whole thing leaves with you with the feeling of a waste of a life, more so than if you just read about something like that in the newspaper or seeing it on TV.

Poor guy.  If he stars in a movie that wins Best Picture, wins him Best Actor, and also breaks Avatar's box office records, the lead article will still be a basketball joke.

• Like 2

It's not an exaggeration to say he was approaching Denzel-levels of charisma in this movie, at points. I was really impressed.

Octavia Spencer looked way too young to play his mom, though. I mean, she's in her 40s, I think, and he is only meant to be 22 so I can see why they thought it would be fine. But she looks way younger anyway so it doesn't quite work.

But, yeah, just a very depressing movie. A quick, drunken fight on a train on New Years' should not end with someone getting shot by the cops, for God's sake. So trivial.