DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Saw the commercial for the Purge tonight watching the Spurs.  I believe this is the second summer in a row where we are getting a movie about one day in America we are allowed to rob, kill, and rape anyone for a night.  Not a sequel or even remotely connected to the first one.  Did the first one do any business to deserve this? 

It really was astounding that a movie that big could look that bad and be that stupid and uncreative and just incompetent and unambitious. 

It reminded me of when Teri Gross was interviewing Chris O'Dowd about making a movie as shitty as GULLIVER'S TRAVELS and him trying to explain how that can happen without you realizing it and he was like "Well, there's a lot of people around and I guess you figure that one of them will fix it at some point?"

I'm not even mad that it's SUCH a blatant MIB rip off, but that every aspect of it, from Bridges' acting to the special effects to the cliche plot is completely irredeemable. It's scary that some suit was all "$100M? Make it $130!"

I'm not even mad that it's SUCH a blatant MIB rip off, but that every aspect of it, from Bridges' acting to the special effects to the cliche plot is completely irredeemable. It's scary that some suit was all "$100M? Make it $130!"

What sums this up best is Bridges' appearance on the Colbert Report to shill for the movie the week it came out. Very few people have not wanted to be on television more than Jeff Bridges that evening. Just all around uncomfortable.

It was more like "please make small casual conversation with me so we don't have to discuss this shit movie" and Stephen weirdly enough tried his best to oblige him. However, it seemed like Bridges probably felt Colbert was leading him so he can say how awful the movie looked from the trailers and gave weird BS non-answers. Jeff Bridges had NOTHING to say for five minutes. Nothing.

Neeson is a super serious guy and Bridges normally doesn't give a shit and more carefree most of the time. That's why I was taken aback by Bridges being frozen on the Colbert Report. Neeson came on the Daily Show earlier this year and start talking about cleaning up crime and shit in NYC like he was a surly old superhero vigilante. Maybe that was some sort of weird method acting. 

Oddly after seeing Thor: The Dark World I thought it actually needed MORE Loki. The first 45 minutes to an hour is pretty blah but then it picks up considerably. It wasn't nearly as good as the first film though.

I agree Thor: The Dark World needed more Loki, I'll never tire of Tom Hiddleston's performance. I also agree with you rating Thor above Thor: The Dark World.

Part II was the least of the series, no need to apologize for liking part III

Wow, really? I don't think I've ever heard anyone place 2 at the bottom.

Most people either have 3 (it's so stupid) or 1 (it's so slooow). Would love to hear your reasoning.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone NOT put #2 at the bottom.

• Like 1

At best it's a literal rehash of the first movie with some minor additions.  While BTTF3 has similar themes, it at least does it in a new time period and ramps up the stunt work some.

As an aside, I never understood the "age" jokes about Doc because I couldn't really tell the difference between made-up Doc and make-up free Doc.  So in the second movie when he pulls off his "disguise" to reveal his facelift and Marty no-sells it I though the joke was he looked exactly the same and only later discovered the lengths they went through to age Christopher Lloyd for the first movie.

Went to see How To Train Your Dragon 2 with my kid on Friday. 

It is as charming and heartwarming as you think it will be, but the reviews saying that it is better than Frozen obviously come from people that have not seen or think it is en vogue to hate on Frozen.

Part 2 is such a convoluted thing.  I mean, they literally have to stop the movie and break out some charts in the middle just to explain what the fuck is going on.  It's the worst of the three by a huge margin.

Part III is fucking awesome.

It is as charming and heartwarming as you think it will be, but the reviews saying that it is better than Frozen obviously come from people that have not seen or think it is en vogue to hate on Frozen.

Frozen's got some serious failings. At the least, it's not nearly as good as, let's say Enchanted or Tangled, as it pertains to recent Disney offerings. 

As the resident BttF superfan, I will say 2 is very underwhelming while 3 is very, very good. Obviously, nothing tops the first one.

Fuck, the BttF cartoon may have been better than part 2. The BttF game by Telltale is for sure better than part 2, at the very least.

Don't get me wrong though, I still love part 2.

Part 2 is such a convoluted thing.  I mean, they literally have to stop the movie and break out some charts in the middle just to explain what the fuck is going on.  It's the worst of the three by a huge margin.

Part III is fucking awesome.

Part II isn't convoluted at all. The chalkboard thing is because filmmakers, rightly or not, often assume that their audience is full of morons.

III took a long time to grow on me, since for the longest time, anything set in the Old West, traditional Western or not, meant ZZZZZZZZ.

Frozen's got some serious failings. At the least, it's not nearly as good as, let's say Enchanted or Tangled, as it pertains to recent Disney offerings. 

I'm with Matt on this. I liked Frozen well enough, but by the end I was wondering how in the hell it became so popular.