DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Tango & Cash and Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man - two 80s (or early 90s, which is practically the same thing) buddy cop movies that are so trope-heavy that they border on self-parody but are also awesome and really should have spawned sequels.

Can't be worse than Watership Down.

Aren't Watership Down and Plague Dogs both novels by Richard Adams and turned into animated adaptations?

EDIT: They are once I looked them up.  I have seen both, prepare for the melancholy

This is worth your time.

http://vimeo.com/96558506

This is so true.

In the wake of Wright's sacking from ANT-MAN, I popped in HOT FUZZ the other night and was blown away by it all over again, even though I feel like I know it by heart. It's one of the tightest movies I've ever seen. There is zero fat, despite the fact that it's stuffed to the gills with references and running gags.

The thing that probably stood out to me the most, though, is something this video pointed out: Wright gets a ton of value out the bits that drag other films down because they put no imagination into them. All of the rote exercises that other film makers accept (moving characters around, introductions, etc.), Wright turns into opportunities to squeeze more gags into his movie.

For instance, there's the one bit when Nicholas first arrives in Sanford, and it's basically "He settled into his room, gets bored, decides to go to the pub." It's a scene that really serves no purpose but to transition him to the next thing (meeting Danny), and it's exactly the sort of scene that a lesser filmmaker would trip over. They would linger in the malaise too long, because they really need you to know that his room sucks, there's nothing to do, yadda yadda. But Wright burns through it in, like, 10 seconds tops, and earns a laugh in the process. Everything you need to know is communicated in about 6 hard cuts.

The only other director out there I can think of who is capable of packing so much kinetic energy into mundane operations is Fincher.

• Like 1

Watched I Saw the Devil for the second time last night, showing my teenagers what I thought was the best movie on Netflix.  Still is.  Just turns the whole "revenge movie" on its ear and features just unrelenting badassery.  And the ending is pretty boss.  Love this movie. 

• Like 2

I loved Anchorman, but since that movie it seems like too much of American comedy movies are just throwing random improv lines at the camera and hoping one of the hundreds will result in a laugh.

That Edgar Wright video was great. Parts of it still made me laugh out loud, especially Paddy Considine reappearing in the frame for a split second.

I really like almost all of Adam McKay's movies*, but he and Edgar Wright are definitely polar opposites when it comes to their styles. (Okay, so *polar* opposite might be a bit strong for that comparison. If anybody is the antithesis of Wright, it's probably Kevin Smith. Nonetheless, you get the idea.)

*With the notable exception of ANCHORMAN 2, which I saw for the first time last night and...boy, that was not great. Not to say I didn't laugh at all, but the whole thing just felt...off.

• Like 1

I watched A Good Day to Die Hard. It was...not completely horrible, but that doesn't make it good. I mean, it's the least plausible Die Hard ever and the laziest fuck script for a movie of this kind. There's a part early on where Jai Courtney keeps saying "damn you, John..." It was like he didn't know his line and just kept rolling with that. And if I remember correctly, they fucking freeze frame the final shot before the credits.

He was just a black hole in AGDtDH.  I mean, Willis wasn't exactly going far beyond phoning it in, but his comfort in the role and his natural charisma made him somewhat interesting to see.  But good lord was Courtney just there, taking up space, adding nothing, sucking everything else down...

I really like almost all of Adam McKay's movies*, but he and Edgar Wright are definitely polar opposites when it comes to their styles. (Okay, so *polar* opposite might be a bit strong for that comparison. If anybody is the antithesis of Wright, it's probably Kevin Smith. Nonetheless, you get the idea.)

*With the notable exception of ANCHORMAN 2, which I saw for the first time last night and...boy, that was not great. Not to say I didn't laugh at all, but the whole thing just felt...off.

Q: How many hacky jokes, goofy scenarios, and cameos can we jam into a two hour movie?

A: ALL OF THEM

McKay is way too complacent now and it finally showed up.

Jodorowsky's Dune is an absolute must-see. It played at the Art Theater last night and I am thinking about another watch on Wednesday. The sheer insanity of how the project came together is incredible. The studio give him the rights to Dune on a lark thinking "this nut will never get it together". He gets the best artists and some of the biggest names for actors ever (Mick Jagger? ORSON WELLES?) and makes this immense storyboarded tome to film his vision... and then it all crumbles beneath him. You see why it was inevitable, but you also see why with the right support from the faceless execs it could have come to pass, because Jodo is the most illusory, charismatic, amazingly funny dude ever, and you buy him almost pulling the wool over everyone's eyes in order to make a masterpiece. It would have ended up like a cross between Heaven's Gate and Apocalypse Now in the filming, but it would have been A MA ZING. Watch this fucking documentary.

Was just coming to post something similar, albeit not nearly as nice as you did.  Really this was just tiresome.  My sister told me it was awful, but we have pretty differing senses of humor some times and the first 10 minutes or so I was totally into it.  Then it just sort of drags its lifeless carcass from gag to gag and most of the gags don't hit that hard any way.

Two things that really made me laugh

After Burgundy goes blind and the news team visited him gave me a few good laughs, even if it was basically PG-13 Mr. Magoo and the news-anchor battle was good.  In fact, the tone of the news-anchor battle was more of what the film needed with ghosts, minotaurs, and weapons from the future.

And what was the deal with trying to shoe-horn a message in there about news?!  Who in THE WORLD goes to see 'Anchorman' and says "Boy, this is funny, but I wish it was trying to teach me a lesson!"

Also, after being a perpetual highlight of the first movie, I could not have expected how much I did not want to see Brick on the screen at all.  Every Brick scene was bad to awful, with the scene where he and Kristen Wiig fall in love being so bad that I actually felt embarrassed for everyone involved.

The 15 minute gag reel was, by far, the best thing about the movie.  Actually watching some of the deleted stuff, one gets the impression that Ferrell wanted the movie to go a certain way (More like 'Step Brothers', 'The Campaign' or 'Eastbound and Down') and the studio had them tone it way down, which also might explain how punishingly unfunny most of it is.

• Like 1

Finally watched Hunger Games 2 last night. 1st half dragged a ton, but the actual games were interesting, with the conspiracy to escape and all. The ending was pretty sudden and we had to rewind and watch it again to understand.

Also, is this the President's first tyrrany? He's making rookie mistakes on how to rule and keep revolution down.

Was just coming to post something similar, albeit not nearly as nice as you did.  Really this was just tiresome.  My sister told me it was awful, but we have pretty differing senses of humor some times and the first 10 minutes or so I was totally into it.  Then it just sort of drags its lifeless carcass from gag to gag and most of the gags don't hit that hard any way.

Two things that really made me laugh

After Burgundy goes blind and the news team visited him gave me a few good laughs, even if it was basically PG-13 Mr. Magoo and the news-anchor battle was good.  In fact, the tone of the news-anchor battle was more of what the film needed with ghosts, minotaurs, and weapons from the future.

And what was the deal with trying to shoe-horn a message in there about news?!  Who in THE WORLD goes to see 'Anchorman' and says "Boy, this is funny, but I wish it was trying to teach me a lesson!"

Also, after being a perpetual highlight of the first movie, I could not have expected how much I did not want to see Brick on the screen at all.  Every Brick scene was bad to awful, with the scene where he and Kristen Wiig fall in love being so bad that I actually felt embarrassed for everyone involved.

The 15 minute gag reel was, by far, the best thing about the movie.  Actually watching some of the deleted stuff, one gets the impression that Ferrell wanted the movie to go a certain way (More like 'Step Brothers', 'The Campaign' or 'Eastbound and Down') and the studio had them tone it way down, which also might explain how punishingly unfunny most of it is.

Yeah, I'm with you on most of this. I thought it was almost as bad as ACE VENTURA 2, in terms of retreading all the gags and beats from the first movie but bigger and louder.

In particular, somebody needed to calm Steve Carrell the fuck DOWN. I don't know if Carrell decided to go bigger this time around, or if, by virtue of him being a much bigger star than he was during the first movie, there's just more of him and therefore the act gets obnoxious quicker, but, man, I found myself reaching for the volume every time he was on screen.

And for a movie that McKay and Ferrell fought for years to get made, you'd never guess it based on the plot, which seemed like it was slapped together over a weekend. Not even a long weekend. The idea of Ron Burgundy being responsible for the state of modern cable news is kinda brilliant and potentially hilarious, but they suck all the fun out of it in a hurry with the blatant Rupert Murdoch stand-in and Ron learning a lesson in the end and all that shit.

Again, that's not to say I didn't laugh a bit, but the only part of the movie that really worked for me was when he was blind, mainly because that was the one part that wasn't a blatant rehash of the first movie where I kinda knew all the jokes beforehand.

I laughed at the brawl...but probably not as much as they expected me to.

Maleficent was great.

Yeah, wife and I loved it.  Is it really getting mostly negative reviews?

I watched Anchorman 2 a week or so ago and thought it was really stale. But Will Ferrel is a weird one for me.  His movies always sound funny to me if someone tells me about the plot, or recounts some of the gags, but I never laugh when I actually see the movies.  I thought Anchorman was kinda bad, but it sounded hysterical when the wife talked it up (she saw it before me and thought it was very funny).

I think I would like Angelina Jolie more if she wasn't already everywhere. I miss back in the '90s when she had mystique and was edgy.

To me, she's a potentially all-time great film star just being absolutely ruined by over-exposure.

I think I would like Angelina Jolie more if she wasn't already everywhere. I miss back in the '90s when she had mystique and was edgy.

To me, she's a potentially all-time great film star just being absolutely ruined by over-exposure.

Is Jennifer Lawrence gonna play Jolie in her biopic?