DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Another example of why lists are stupid and just empty calories and clicks.

At the expense of this wisdom ... would a decent cross-section of you guys give me a best-to-worst (yes opinions matter) of the Wes Anderson films? I like Rushmore & Royal Tenanbaums, but the rest have the sheen of people voting that dude's films high, even if they're total shit. In particular, I'm interested in where Life Aquatic ranks ...

This is actually something I spend way too much time thinking about:

1. Rushmore

2. The Fantastic Mr Fox

3. The Life Aquatic

4. Moonrise Kingdom

5. Royal Tenenbaums

6. Grand Budapest Hotel

7. Darjeeling Limited

8. Bottle Rocket

I really didn't like Life Aquatic when I first saw it, but it's really grown on me as I've gotten older. Which I guess makes sense as it's about getting old.

I'm actually planning on going back through and watching all of these because my sister bought me a massive Wes Anderson book for Christmas and I'd like to read it while the movies are fresh in my mind.

I got that for my birthday; it's fantastic.

Funny, b/c flipping through that book in the bookstore gave me the original question.

I really didn't like Life Aquatic when I first saw it, but it's really grown on me as I've gotten older. Which I guess makes sense as it's about getting old.

DING DING DING DING DING!!!

This is Truth! You'll all get this someday.

tLAwSZ will gradually become larger in your image of W.A.

FIGHT CLUB holds up, man.

The film-making of it holds up incredibly well, even as I find myself connecting to the story less and less.  But it's so well crafted.

I like Shawshank because unlike a lot of other "feel good" movies (Forrest Gump, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, etc), it doesn't get caught up in its own saccharine sweetness. Yeah, it's got a lovely message and a nice ending, but it's got a real streak of cynicism and realness in it too. Freeman is pretty much doing the anti-Jimmy Stewart thing for much of the movie.

FIGHT CLUB holds up, man.

The film-making of it holds up incredibly well, even as I find myself connecting to the story less and less.  

Which is sad because those financial institutions they blew up have even more reasons to be demolished today. In an age where people are complacent if their Netflix stream is running smooth and the most protest they can muster for the world's injustice is a hashtag and a different colored avatar - I'd say Fight Club is even MORE relevant today than it was 15 years ago. It's messaging got co-opted by Bro culture, who were only interested in the aesthetic created by Brad Pitt - one of looking modern urban, but still soaked in testosterone(I work out 6 days a week and sculpt my hair, but I want you to think I don't give a fuuuuuck). Tyler Durden was no longer a revolutionary - it became a brand.

Now people disown the movie because they don't want to sound like the date rapey alpha douche, people would assume them to be. It's kind of sad.

• Like 5

It breaks my heart every time I have a high school intern working with me at work and I make Fight Club jokes about splicing a couple frames of inappropriate video into our programs and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

So old.

• Like 1

Showgirls and Josie and the Pussycats may have been satires, but they were also terrible satires.

I don't think you can simply tag the "satire" label on something and that instantly makes it good. It has to be done well.

Now Starship Troopers...THAT is a terrific satire.