DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Black Bush is one that always makes me laugh. Anthony Berry should've been able to have an insane career as a character actor afte that run on Chapelle's Show. Even the failed skits like Time Haters "C'mon Bitch Lemme Holla At Ya!" are still comic gold.

As played out as the Rick James bit became, there were other great laughs woven into it, like people mistaking Mickey Free for beign a girl.

James

I will say that there's a world of difference between Murphy doing AIDS jokes and Tosh having gay baby sex. One is playing off the fears and prejudices of the times, the other is wink-wink in tone.

That's not what I was getting at, but isn't the whole premise of Murphy's bit in Delirious ("Sure...you're not a homosexual") kinda wink-wink as well? Also, you guys already went into a multi page diatribe about Woody Allen and every creep in Hollywood. I would say people messing with infants is a fear.

I preferred the Asians getting Wu Tang in the race draft

Forgot about this. I feel like there was one more WuTang reference on the show, but I can't remember it.

I will say that there's a world of difference between Murphy doing AIDS jokes and Tosh having gay baby sex. One is playing off the fears and prejudices of the times, the other is wink-wink in tone.

That's not what I was getting at, but isn't the whole premise of Murphy's bit in Delirious ("Sure...you're not a homosexual") kinda wink-wink as well? Also, you guys already went into a multi page diatribe about Woody Allen and every creep in Hollywood. I would say people messing with infants is a fear.

It's been years since I've seen both standups (RAW and Delirious, probably 10+), but I took the AIDS bit as Eddie pretty much endorsing the notion that homos will give you the death virus, whereas Tosh's apparent homophobic jokes are wink-wink to the fact that he alludes that he himself loves the cock. One's furthering a stereotype, the others embracing it to show how ridiculous it is.

I preferred the Asians getting Wu Tang in the race draft

Forgot about this. I feel like there was one more WuTang reference on the show, but I can't remember it.

It's been years since I've seen both standups (RAW and Delirious, probably 10+), but I took the AIDS bit as Eddie pretty much endorsing the notion that homos will give you the death virus, whereas Tosh's apparent homophobic jokes are wink-wink to the fact that he alludes that he himself loves the cock. One's furthering a stereotype, the others embracing it to show how ridiculous it is.

Apparently, you don't remember much from them. Eddie's whole rationale is basically people fucking any and everything in the 80s. The "Bush bitch", "dick on the craps table", and Carson divorce stuff come from that. Leaving homosexuals out of the rigmarole would have weird considering the timeframe. Knowing Chris Rock's material and his usual stance, leaving out white people in the whole "I'm scared of young white boys" school shooting opening bit from Bigger and Blacker would have been extremely weird for his routine. The Columbine jokes took up like 15 minutes of the special. As a person who was having sex with probably every hot piece of ass coast to coast, Eddie based a good portion of material off of that. I don't think people that enjoy either Raw and/or Delirious were looking for any savvy political viewpoints.

It's perfect, but "The Niggar Family" bit makes me laugh harder. First time I saw that I laughed so hard I got cramps.

Oh Yeah - That is another classic.

"..She has a date with that Niggar boy school"

"what?! ohhh God Nooooo"

"No, that's his name, Timmy Niggar" 

"oh Of course, he's such a good athlete and so well spoken, that family is going places"

Drip, drip, drip

I want to pee on you

Piss-sss on you, piss-sss on you

I nearly coughed up a lung with the R. Kelly skit.  What makes that one so good is that Chappelle was willing to go where many in the black community wouldn't, and take down the R&B Pied Piper/Woody Allen.

It had pre used and disposed by Jeremy Shockey era Vida Guerra in it. You can't hate it.

*Checks wiki* Holy shit, Vida is 39. Goddamn, time flies

Fuck Meatballs. I fucking hate Meatballs. Fucking sucks. There is no conflict. Meatballs is shit.

Meatballs is awesome, simply for being quite possibly the greatest one-man comedic carry job of a movie in history. I agree that it's not a good movie, but goddamn is Bill Murray just the movie equivalent of "Ric Flair wrestling a broomstick" in that flick, and I still try to watch it every year when summer begins.

• Like 1

Mindhunters: This is basically another one of those And Then There Were None scenarios. All the FBI wannabes go to an island for training about how to profile and hunt serial killers and, who would have guessed, people suddenly start getting murdered one by one. LL Cool J is in this and plays the exact same role he always does. Also, is it just me or does Jonny Lee Miller instantly become 100x more blander when he does that not-very-good American accent? Val Kilmer and Christian Slater also show up, apparently for the paycheck.  Like most of these types of films, it starts out good, and just loses its way at the end.

But it has an awesome Christian Slater death. Death by liquid nitrogen! 

Black Bush is one that always makes me laugh. Anthony Berry should've been able to have an insane career as a character actor afte that run on Chapelle's Show. Even the failed skits like Time Haters "C'mon Bitch Lemme Holla At Ya!" are still comic gold.

As played out as the Rick James bit became, there were other great laughs woven into it, like people mistaking Mickey Free for beign a girl.

The Samuel Jackson Beer commercial made me laugh til I got sick. 

You'll be fuckin' fat girls in no time.  You might even fight a brotha or two!

I think Grantland's tournament of Chappelle's Show sketches was pretty spot on. I think the best ones are Charlie Murphy's Prince story, Playa Haters Ball, Mad Real World, and Black-White Draft.

Which reminds me.  Neil Brennan (Chappelle's co-creator and co-writer) is out on tour so be on the lookout for when he comes to your town.

I saw him at the Funny Bone three weeks ago and he was fucking hilarious.

Mad Real World was in my head today. "What's the square root of his apartment?" "SSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

Donelle Rawlings got some great lines on that show. Specifically the Fisticuffs sketch.

EDIT: Just remember the WacDonalds sketch. "Sometimes the leeeeeanest burger in the world... can be the meeeeeeeanest burger in the world... if you have it your way. Man, I need to stop smoking this shit right here"