DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Her is an amazing movie.

Phoenix is king sized in it, and even though I don't give a fuck about the Oscars the dude should win one. He looked so devastated after not winning last year that I was sad about it.

He's not nominated, is he?  I don't remember him looking especially devastated (Though I probably wasn't really paying attention at the time...not that I'm saying you're wrong, I'm saying I just didn't notice!) last year but it wouldn't surprise me because he clearly did NOT want to go to the Oscars in everything that lead up to it that it's obvious someone talked him into it on the expectation he would likely win and he probably got there, had a miserable time, and didn't win and thought "Shit. I could've just stayed home." (I know the feeling well, when I was in high school I got a notice saying I was nominated for an award and had to attend awards night.  I really didn't want to go because TAKA Michinoku was supposed to wrestle Dick Togo on Raw that night and I REALLY wanted to see it, but finally attended after a friend told me I had likely won the journalism award.  I assumed I would be winning an award for journalism, as I was the copy editor of the school paper and they usually divided the award amongst the editors.  In the end, all I got was an certificate for participation in the arts or some such shit and I turned to the guy beside me and went "That's it?!  I could've stayed home and watched Dick Togo wrestle TAKA Michinoku and they could've mailed this to me!"  "Okay", he said, so I'd like to think I know how Phoenix feels!).

Anyways, I loved Phoenix in that film, and I'll probably go back to that movie more than anything else nominated at the Oscars (It's my working #1 of the year..ps don't forget to vote, one week from tonight is the deadline, link in my sig!) BUT, I'd have a hard time giving him the 'Best Actor' nod over Matthew McConaughey or Chiwetel Ejiofor (Who are neck and neck for best of the year, for me).

Heck, I'd rate the 'Best Actor' performances for 2013 as follows

1A. Chiwetel Ejiofor

1B. Matthew McConaughey 

3. Oscar Isaac (Can't believe he wasn't nominated!)

4A. Joaquin Phoenix

4B. Bruce Dern (Both are excellent!)

5. Christian Bale

(Still haven't seen 'Wolf of Wall St.')

• Like 1

I watched Her last night and also really liked it, though it could have been 20-30 minutes shorter.  Did anyone else think

Samantha would end up not being real but a Tyler Durden-esque figment of Theodore's imagination?  His background in writing those cards for others all those years made it seem likely until other people started mentioning using the operating systems too.  I know that's not much of a spoiler but figured I'd throw it in here anyways.

Joaquin-Phoenix-oscars-2013.gif

Like you said, apparently he didn't even wanted to attend, but still.

I have yet to see Slave, Llewyin Davis or American Hustle.

I loved Buyer's Club and McConaughey was amazing as well, but I would still give Phoenix the nod. Bias I guess.

Leo was great in Wolf but there's a clear rung on the ladder separating him and the other guys I've mentioned.

I loved Buyer's Club and McConaughey was amazing as well, but I would still give Phoenix the nod. Bias I guess.

Leo was great in Wolf but there's a clear rung on the ladder separating him and the other guys I've mentioned.

Haven't seen wolf, but judging from his previous work, I'd say that rung is them all below Leo. . . 

• Like 1

Watched Byzantium, a Neil Jordan vampire movie.  It was very thoughtful and meditative, and less action-adventure than most.  It was shot beautifully, and there were none of the usual vampire tropes.  No big shocks, no big reveals, other than being a vampire kinda sucks, especially when you've lived for 200 years and have nothing to show for it.

Haven't seen wolf, but judging from his previous work, I'd say that rung is them all below Leo. . . 

Then, in my opinion, you would be wrong.

• Like 1

Then, in my opinion, you would be wrong.

91667b3740bc83dc023eaeaa1afcff20dfcf5a49

• Like 2

How prescient was DEMOLITION MAN? Remember the scene where they go to dinner at Taco Bell, and the guy performing is singing old advertising jingles? I think there's even a radio station that only plays jingles at one point. Is that really so far removed from where we are today when so many of our hit songs were hit commercials first?

Speaking of Demolition Man, I started watching the latest Star Trek movie last night (fell asleep during it, will finish it sometime) and noticed that part of the plot was pretty similar... A bad guy brings back a cryogenically frozen bad guy into the future to do his dirty work for him, as his primitive ways are more likely to get the job done. Unfortunately, the similarities ended there.

Speaking of Demolition Man, I started watching the latest Star Trek movie last night (fell asleep during it, will finish it sometime) and noticed that part of the plot was pretty similar... A bad guy brings back a cryogenically frozen bad guy into the future to do his dirty work for him, as his primitive ways are more likely to get the job done. Unfortunately, the similarities ended there.

Also FREDDY VS. JASON, probably the best movie of the three.