DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Damning piece from Woody Allen's daughter claiming he abused her.

And in the interests of fairness.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

It's a pretty complex issue. On one hand, allegations like this are rarely made up. On the other...if he really was some child predator, wouldn't you have more and more people coming forward over time, a la R Kelly,Jimmy Saville and Sandusky? Guy is a famous film director, he could have had all the access to young kids that he wanted, but there are barely kids in his films at all.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/an-open-letter-from-dylan-farrow/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Damning piece from Woody Allen's daughter claiming he abused her.

And in the interests of fairness.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/27/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast.html

It's a pretty complex issue. On one hand, allegations like this are rarely made up. On the other...if he really was some child predator, wouldn't you have more and more people coming forward over time, a la R Kelly,Jimmy Saville and Sandusky? Guy is a famous film director, he could have had all the access to young kids that he wanted, but there are barely kids in his films at all.

I dunno........I'm sure there are tons of child predators who manage to fly under the radar their entire lives for one reason or another.  And the fact that he also had an affair with another adopted child is pretty damning, even if she was of age when it happened.

Yeah, but usually once someone comes forward, it opens a flood gate, and other accusations follows. If he's really the predator people have accused him of being, he'd be doing the Sandusky thing and using his position to surround himself with kids. But he hasn't.

I also think his movies make it clear: he likes women. Adult ones. He's obsessed to the point he's released 50 or so films about trying to relate to them.

Of course, I don't doubt the daughter believes it truly happened. Guess it just depends on whether you think someone could be brainwashed into believing an experience like that happened.

Definitely the situation is trickier than something like the R Kelly deal where someone is obviously as guilty as sin because, hey, all these people aren't lying.

The Descent (Directors Cut)

Haven't watched this in years, so this was fantastic.  Director's Cut added some more set up at the cabin and helped flesh out more of the characters, especially Holly.  Unfortunately, some of the edits in the theatrical cut actually help, because you don't want to see the Crawler until that nightvision shot. 

http://youtu.be/fUqUQlk2taE

Of course, I still don't like Sarah's decision to turn on Juno.  Yes, it's implied that she had an affair with Sarah's husband.  Yes, Juno did accidentally stabbed Beth in the neck.  However, I think it's reasonable to think that Beth died pretty quickly after such a terrible blow, and that when she fell, she was dead.  She wasn't leaving her for dead -- she reasonably thought that she was dead.  And so when she said she saw her die, I think she was telling the truth.  And, of course, she didn't intentionally kill her -- Beth shouldn't have snuck up behind Juno as she was in the midst of a life and death struggle against multiple crawlers.

Also, surprisingly, the Director's Cut had the ending where Sarah actually escaped -- I always thought the original ending was that she didn't. 

Watched Love Actually for the first time in ages.

Yeah, Keira Knightley and Rick Grimes come off as pretty terrible people. You don't kiss your husband's best friend no matter what the circumstances. Just asking for trouble there.

I'm glad that didn't get much of the focus of the movie.

American Hustle - Saw this yesterday. Can't say I loved it as much as others have but I liked it. Seems like all the pieces are there for greatness but never quite got there. Some great acting as others have mentioned. Bale is all kinds of awesome. And good God, Amy Adams. She is awesome and.. hoo boy... scorching hot would be an understatement. Wasn't as impressed with JLaw. OK but nothing special. On a sidenote - my wife complained about the constant barrage of f-bombs. While that stuff doesn't generally bother me - and didn't here - she has a point. A lot of movies - this one included - replace actual quality dialogue with f-bombs and it's annoying. Anyway, 7.5/10.

Just watching Quantum of Solace.

I think this opening chase scene needs a few more quick cuts. They are only up to about 400 so far.

Christ that scene...

There are only two movies that have ever given me a migraine that made me nauseous enough to leave a movie theater: Quantum of Solace and Silent Hill.

I think this opening chase scene needs a few more quick cuts. They are only up to about 400 so far.

Christ that scene...

There are only two movies that have ever given me a migraine that made me nauseous enough to leave a movie theater: Quantum of Solace and Silent Hill.

I guess it shows you how long it's been since I've seen Quantum of Solace (opening weekend in theater), but I remember that chase scene being the best part of the film.

• Like 1

Interesting and at times disturbing feature, the fifty most dramatic movie weight changes by Total Film:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-most-dramatic-movie-weight-changes

From Mickey Rourke's entry:

Along with small meals throughout the day and the bodybuilder’s go-to; multiple protein shakes, 27 pounds of muscle soon piled on.

Right. Protein shakes. Didn't Rourke publicly admit to roiding up?

Interesting and at times disturbing feature, the fifty most dramatic movie weight changes by Total Film:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-most-dramatic-movie-weight-changes

From Mickey Rourke's entry:

Along with small meals throughout the day and the bodybuilder’s go-to; multiple protein shakes, 27 pounds of muscle soon piled on.

Right. Protein shakes. Didn't Rourke publicly admit to roiding up?

He didn't admit to it, but he didn't deny it.  When they asked if he used steroids, I believe he basically said "When I'm portraying a wrestler, I do some things that a wrestler might do" or something like that, so basically "Yeah, but I'll never admit it".

Christ that scene...

I guess it shows you how long it's been since I've seen Quantum of Solace (opening weekend in theater), but I remember that chase scene being the best part of the film.

It is literally the worst edited scene I can remember seeing, for my money.

Christ that scene...

I wouldn't call it the best part, but it is pretty damn good. I don't get all of the flack, especially when it is coming from dudes a couple of decades younger than I am, and you would think they would be used to rapid-fire editing. I haven't any issues with following that scene.