DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Here is a nice Grantland piece on the controversy surrounding The Wolf of Wall Street.  I hope those of you who were shouting down the movie before seeing it would give this a read.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/96760/the-wolf-of-wall-street-the-little-controversy-that-could-and-should

The closing scene is discussed as you would expect, but they also mention a specific shot that most reviews are glossing over.  In the middle of an office party Leo gives this secretary 10,000 to shave her head.  She agrees and they stick her down in a chair and it's just the most degrading thing.  The party goes on and Scorsese's camera is just wandering around, but then he comes back to the secretary who's still sitting in the chair holding her cash.  The camera lingers there for a moment and studies her look of pure joy.  It's probably the most stomach churning thing in the whole film.  

Just watched Meet Joe Black for the first time in ages. It was awesome, everyone in it is awesome, and the score is somehow better.

Great movie.

Have to make a specific mention of the gorgeous Claire Forlani here -

meet_joe_black_claire_forlani0051-249708

• Like 1

Just watched Meet Joe Black for the first time in ages. It was awesome, everyone in it is awesome, and the score is somehow better.

Great movie.

Great point, Sean Connery's daughter in The Rock too.

Here's the score

Great movie.

All I can think about now when I see her is...

"Are you thirsty, Angus?"

Also... Why have american ad agencies lately become obsessed with using actors to endorse hard liquor? Just the other day I saw Tywin Fucking Lannister in a Chivas Regal ad.

Also... Why have american ad agencies lately become obsessed with using actors to endorse hard liquor? Just the other day I saw Tywin Fucking Lannister in a Chivas Regal ad.

Hell, we can even stay on HBO. Jack Huston is hawking Guinness Black Lager and using a fake American accent. YOU LIED TO ME, RICHARD HARROW! YOU CLEARLY HAVE ANOTHER SIDE OF YOUR FACE!

• Like 1

Of all the Jason Statham films in the world, BLITZ may very well be the most Stathamic. It also has the most random people from TV shows from before they were in TV shows (Walking Dead's Governor, Littlefinger and Gendry from GOT, Vod from Fresh Meat)... the film makes little sense, and the ending makes none at all. And when you've got jacked up muscle-dude Statham and skinny fat, pasty non-athletic Aiden Gillen in the same movie, which one do you get to be constantly shirtless?

Gillen, obvs.

You should watch it, it's really good.

Great movie.

She was really hot in Antitrust in a small role.  Great movie.

• Like 1

A couple more Netflix movies:

The Score - Saw this back on release in the theater and loved it.  Still do.  Remember when Edward Norton and Robert De Niro actually tried in their movies?  Yeah, this was like the last time they did.  De Niro is a high-end safecracking thief, Norton is a young up & comer who's got a line on a major score in the Montreal customs house.  They partner up to steal a sceptre.  Fun movie and one I like a lot.  It's not deep, there's no underlying message, it's just entertaining with a super high-end cast (Marlon Brandon and Angela Bassett also appear).  8/10.

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane - Made in 2006, this didn't get a US theater release until 2013 because of a distributor going bankrupt.  Amber Heard stars as Mandy, a girl who got suddenly really hot over the summer.  As a result, she's the center of attention among the in-crowd boys who all wish to be "with" her.  At the end of the school year, she's invited for a weekend away at one guy's ranch.  Everything's going as planned until the friends start dying.  Anyway, this movie is awful.  I slept through 20, maybe 30, minutes of it (it's only 90 minutes long) and it took me like 5 seconds to get caught up.  The production values, the plot, the dialogue, the acting - all terrible.  Oh wait, there's a twist ending!  How original.  Anyway, the only positive is you get to stare at the gorgeous Amber Heard for 90 minutes but that ain't enough to save this one.  2/10.

Looper.

Felt like it was 5 hours long. Time travel movies have all sorts of hurdles explaining rules and such, and even with voice covers constantly it still didn't make a ton of sense.

And that makeup job on Joseph Gordon-Levitt was horrible and embarrassing and distracting. What's wrong with his face? Its the movies; we can suspend our disbelief. But not with a metric ton of makeup and prosthetics on your star's face.

Thought the concept was cool, but the execution was terrible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2536733/Moment-panicked-Anne-Hathaway-gets-caught-riptide-screams-help-choppy-Hawaii-waters.html

Guess this would go in here. Anne Hathaway nearly drowned while swimming on the beach and the nearby photographers reaction was to...eh, take several pics of her while she was visibly struggling and screaming and not bother to assist in any way whatsoever.

Dear God, these people are scumbags. So much so they've got me feeling bad for Anne Hathaway. And I didn't think that was even possible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2536733/Moment-panicked-Anne-Hathaway-gets-caught-riptide-screams-help-choppy-Hawaii-waters.html

Guess this would go in here. Anne Hathaway nearly drowned while swimming on the beach and the nearby photographers reaction was to...eh, take several pics of her while she was visibly struggling and screaming and not bother to assist in any way whatsoever.

Dear God, these people are scumbags. So much so they've got me feeling bad for Anne Hathaway. And I didn't think that was even possible.

Daily Mail.

• Like 1

Daily Mail.

This makes me laugh every time. 

The prosthetics were supposed to make him look like a young Bruce Willis. But, yeah, they kinda failed there.

One of the worst things about The Black Dhalia is how we're constantly told Mia Kirshner and Hillary Swank look so much alike. A great deal of the plot hinges on it.

Except they don't. At all. Never mind a passing resemblance, they have totally different facial features. It's very odd casting.

So I was flicking around last night when I came across Deathtrap. This has Michael Caine as a master playwright and Christopher Reeve as one of his students. I thought it was really good. Caine is just a monster here and really conveys alot of menace and paranoia in even the smallest little looks and body movements.

Hard to talk about without spoiling it so i'll just say that people should check it out if they have a couple of hours to kill one night.

• Like 2