DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So I just started watching Under the Dome and I'm two episodes in. Its really hard to get adjusted to Hank not being Hank. He also seems to have thinned out a lot in this show or maybe I just remember him being a bit thicker. Two episodes in and there are some things that seem kind of lame. This Barbie guy seems to always be in the right spot at exactly the right time to be town hero. The chick who's husband he killed I kind of dig her. I have never read the book so all of the questions on how this dome works, why its here, who put it here, they are all very cool questions and I'm interesting in finding out the answers to. With only ten episode seasons they make for easy viewing. I just got done watching another hour show and it felt like it went on forever while this one seems to fly by. So far I dig it. 

So I just started watching Under the Dome and I'm two episodes in. Its really hard to get adjusted to Hank not being Hank. He also seems to have thinned out a lot in this show or maybe I just remember him being a bit thicker. Two episodes in and there are some things that seem kind of lame. This Barbie guy seems to always be in the right spot at exactly the right time to be town hero. The chick who's husband he killed I kind of dig her. I have never read the book so all of the questions on how this dome works, why its here, who put it here, they are all very cool questions and I'm interesting in finding out the answers to. With only ten episode seasons they make for easy viewing. I just got done watching another hour show and it felt like it went on forever while this one seems to fly by. So far I dig it. 

Dean Norris slimmed down for the last season or two of Breaking Bad and then stayed in decent shape. I'm re-watching Breaking Bad now and he's pretty hefty in the first couple seasons.

It's exclusive to Amazon Prime for four years.

If you still are lucky enough to have a local video store, you might be able to rent the DVDs for season 1 at a more friendly price than the $2 an episode or whatever they charge online.

Well, season 1 is free if you're a Prime member. Season 2 is $2 an episode or $20-$30 for the season. I recently had to delete my recordings of season 2 for space reasons, and I am *just* crazy enough for this show to pay that insane amount of money to be able to revisit it.

Hopefully I can stay strong until it goes free, probably in January. (As if I'm not going to buy the blu-ray set for all the extras, anyway.)

Under The Dome becomes infuriating. I'm still watching though so who knows...

The acting of the teenagers is sooooooo bad, especially Junior. I am still watching though even though I am not exactly sure why. I guess lack of shows in the summer.

• Like 2

So watching Under the Dome and I'm just at halfway through with six episodes left. I like the show but I'm starting to worry the most interesting thing about the show is the eternal question of whats up with the dome? That and the red head reporter is pretty hot. I tend to like most of the characters ok but I find some scenes pretty silly. Ollie had just informed Big Jim that he stole his propane and had one guy with a gun guarding what is now Ollie's propane. There is a lot I find silly about this. You have a town of I don't know even if its only a few hundred people in this town. If they are that desperate and thirsty for water what is one guy with a gun on his property going to do to stop them from eventually commandeering his water? They go the diplomatic route and give him all the propane he can use with plenty more on the way. He then for some reason "steals" the propane by having seemingly one guy with a gun change the locks. Well I don't know why he would bother with all of this when he didn't seem to be going back on his deal about the water. Even if he was just "power hungry" or whatever you want to call it I'm not sure why one guy holding a gun and changing the locks again in a town of hundreds would be that menacing. Then Jim who had downed an entire bottle of hard liquor in a manner of hours was able to shoot the car perfectly to make it explode. I'm pretty sure on Mythbusters they proved it doesn't work like that by shooting several holes into tanks but maybe I'm wrong. Either way it seemed way over the top and I think it would have been just as effective for Jim to just kill the guy. It seemed pretty lame.

Outside of that the cop lady has like zero charisma. Her fiance who I can't hear speak and have only seen on screen just a few moments here and there has more charisma than she does in this show. Barbie continuing to be a super hero in the town seems lame as well.

All in all I like the show and I'm ok with the slow burn to answers when it comes to the dome I just hope the payoff isn't lame. I should have it finished by tommorow night and then its onto Bates Motel which I've never seen the original movie so it should be interesting.  

I really liked that show for about the first half of its run but after Medellin the show fell apart for me. I watched it until the end but I felt like by the end nobody on the show was any fun anymore. Some of it was pretty silly towards the end Turtle doing deals with billionaires on their private flights, etc. 

I just experienced the most remarkeable series of ups and downs watching the confusing and bizarre opening of an episode of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.  It was one of the later USA episodes.

The opening, which is about a musical stage production called "Icarus" managed to feature the following lines which are ridiculous and soul-killing:

"Now  remember, in the scene where you defy Deadelus don't push!  Just be...Icarus!"

That line was spoken by Cynthia Nixon...also troublng...but she was then immediately accosted by her todying PA (of course his name is Roger Porter...Porter, you know because he carries things...GODDAMMIT TV WRITERS STOP DOING THAT!!!) played by someone I recognized but couldn't pin down from where on IMDB but who I immediately pegged as the killer because on LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT, the overly adoring assistant ALWAYS DID IT....frustrating.

and then the following exchange, which is catastrophic:

"Did you tell Amanda that you have a problem with the Minotaur number?"

"No I would never do that!!!"

Followed by us actually getting to see some of "Icarus the musical" complete with a song whose lyrics are:

"I'm getting higher and higher!
I'm gonna' touch the fire!
I'm gonna' hold it in my hands!!"

I can't get any closer
My wings are now exploding
I think I'm falling back to Earth!"

Yeah.  Things were looking grim.  But then Cynthia Nixon screamed "GET ME EVAN KORMAN ON THE PHONE"

Cut immediately to Evan Korman picking up the phone and it's HOLY SHIT IT'S CHRISTOPHER McDONALD!!!!  A miraculous recovery!  Suddenly filled with hope...

Hope seems dashed however as we hear another song from "Icarus: The musical" which contains the following lyrics:

"You...
have got
to turn
around

Cause this is hubris
(hubris)
Hubris
(hubris)
You got to come down!"

I mean, really, professional writers, can we not do better than this?  Cristopher McDonald, however, is listening to this song and JAMMING OUT to it..so once again the ship is righted.

To catch us up on all this Hubris stuff they visit a "professor of mythology" (I assume they meant a professor of classics?) at Columbia who turns out to be PATTI FUCKING SMITH WHATTHEFUCKISGOINGONHERE!!!!!!!!  

I don't know how many stars to rate this.  It's like asking A WO subscriber to rate a match between 2002 Kurt Angle and 2014 Kurt Angle.  Let's just say ***1/2 because Christopher McDonald and 2002 Kurt Angle can carry anyone to that.

• Like 1

Just started watching FARSCAPE. Digging it.

Assuming you're early in the run (first season or two), keep watching.  It just gets better.

I really need to go back and watch that from the beginning,  I'm sure I missed some stuff.

Honestly only like six or so episodes in. So far it's very same-ish to a lot of similar shows. But muppets. And that's OK. So if it gets better, giddy up.

The very early eps are ok, but the show doesn't really get into gear until Scorpius shows up.  I'd say the peak is the late portion of season 2 through season 3.  Season 4 is pretty good, but it's hurt by the producers playing the long game and setting things up that they didn't intend to pay off until season 5 (Sci-Fi renewed the show for 2 seasons after season 3, then canceled it prematurely). 

Season 2 isn't on DVD or streaming anywhere I subscribe to.  I'll have to wait until maybe September when the Blu Rays are rentable or until NBC runs a marathon or puts season 2 up one demand.

It hurts bad.  But thankfully DEADWOOD is kind of humbling in how great it is.

CSI: MIAMI line of the night:

"I'm going to test your hands for animal blood."

"Why?"

"Because we know that you cut up the steak that lured that alligator into Matthew's yard."

They just

killed Veronica Mars

Also, that rich lady just screwed over Trixie so she could stick around and make moon eyes at Tim Olyphant.  Yeah, he's dreamy but I'm pretty pissed about that.  I'm hoping the female characters stay strong.  At least Trixie and Joanie.

I'm quite enjoying the difference between this and GAME OF THRONES on that point.  They both exist in worlds that limit the female characters to basically "rich daughter" or "whore."  But DEADWOOD is doing so much better at making them deep and strong characters who manage to stand strong without any power or hope.  and without ever using "look how exploitive this society is" as an excuse for T&A.  I mean, there's T and there's A...but it's not "T&A" T&A...if you catch my meaning.

And man is it fun to see Brad Douriff do his thing.  The best guy.

• Like 1