DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I had a friend who used to go to conventions fairly regularly a few years ago, and they mentioned someone bringing up the SMG stories during a Q&A thing with some old writers. They didn't deny there were issues, although they made it sound more like both sides were at fault. After the first season, Brendon and Hannigan thought Gellar had let the fame go to her head and that she'd stop being friendly with them. Meanwhile, Gellar is going to people and complaining about how they are no longer being sociable with her and she felt most of the cast were shutting her out. 

Of course, Joss totally seems like the kind of guy to not let his subsequent massive success turn into a big FUCK YOU to everyone who slighted him in the past....nope. 

Not a seething memory-cube of past rejections and resentments at all.

RE: Gellar. She's a pretty decent actress, but she seems to have awful taste in scripts.

I'm friends with a tv critic (major paper in a top 20 market) who swears she should have had a huge career post-Buffy based on the fact that she's smart, media savvy, and understands the business.  He thought she'd have an instinct for picking projects.  Instead.....

It's an off business, though.  Based on Buffy, I would never have picked David Boreanaz to be cast as the lead in two shows and basically work for 17 years straight (and counting,  I haven't seen an official announcement, but supposedly Bones will be renewed for next season).  I've heard people make fun of his career, but he's made a huge pile of money, worked steadily for close to two decades, and gotten into producing and directing via Bones.  And he's probably more recognized as :"Booth" than "Angel".  Personally, I'd take his career over Gellar's.

• Like 1

RE: Gellar. She's a pretty decent actress, but she seems to have awful taste in scripts.

I'm friends with a tv critic (major paper in a top 20 market) who swears she should have had a huge career post-Buffy based on the fact that she's smart, media savvy, and understands the business.  He thought she'd have an instinct for picking projects.  Instead.....

It's an off business, though.  Based on Buffy, I would never have picked David Boreanaz to be cast as the lead in two shows and basically work for 17 years straight (and counting,  I haven't seen an official announcement, but supposedly Bones will be renewed for next season).  I've heard people make fun of his career, but he's made a huge pile of money, worked steadily for close to two decades, and gotten into producing and directing via Bones.  And he's probably more recognized as :"Booth" than "Angel".  Personally, I'd take his career over Gellar's.

He also has this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx36CyNhMKY

• Like 2

She made some decent choices (Cruel Intentions, The Grudge) earlier on in her career, but then she just veered off course. Did she really think depressing melodramas like Veronika Decides to Die, The Return and The Air I Breathe were going to do that well?

And in yet another sign that there is no God (or if there is, one entirely unconcerned with human affairs), Lopez has gotten ANOTHER show on the air. Kids in Africa starving to death, but George gets handed a paycheck once again.

Of course, Joss totally seems like the kind of guy to not let his subsequent massive success turn into a big FUCK YOU to everyone who slighted him in the past....nope. 

Not a seething memory-cube of past rejections and resentments at all.

On the commentaries and some interviews he seemed like a nice enough guy who did not take himself seriously. 

I think people problems with Gellar was how she announced she was leaving the show in Entertainment Weekly. Allyson Hannigan called her out on it at the time. 

Which does not make her some monster. But it was a dick move. 

Nicholas Brendan has never been Whedon's biggest fan: He told a story about how Whedon came to him like halfway through the show and rather rudely told him that his character wasn't really going to be as focused on anymore and would be moved into the background. He felt like quitting (that's how blunt and indifferent Whedon was being) but he figured a paycheck was a paycheck.

To expand a bit in what I said before, she came to the set of Dr. Horrible just to hang out for a day, and they tossed big sunglasses and a eing on her as an extra for the press conference scene, so I have to figure at some point her and Joss patched up whatever problems they may have had.

If soap opera message boards are to be believed, SMG is something of a witch and difficult to be around.  Supposedly, she and Susan Lucci didn't get along when SMG was on All My Children years ago.

Wasn't she like 16 or so when she started on that show? Can't hardly blame her for that in the long-run, though it probably didn't bode well.

I've always envisioned a Dave Meltzer for Days of Our Lives who gives the backstage dirt and gave the demonic possession of Marlena five stars.

Only 3 1/2 because Roman and Tony kinda sandbagged their part of the angle.

I've always envisioned a Dave Meltzer for Days of Our Lives who gives the backstage dirt and gave the demonic possession of Marlena five stars.

So what's Soap Opera Dave's MMA?  Spanish telanovelas?  Musical theater?  Reality tv?

When I was a kid they used to publish weekly summaries of all the major soap plots in the Sunday paper.  They read very much like most Meltzer rundowns..as in they were an insane block of text filled with vaguely identified pronouns and a stream of actions that may or may not be related to one another.