DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

It's OK, Brian.  I hate all the Whedon stuff, you can dislike The Wire.  Heck, I felt disappointed about the Soprano's first season after the absolutely amazing pilot episode.  Just so much goodness packed into the first ep that the next four or five, while being solid TV, didn't live up to the expectations set.

It's hard to even think of the Wire's first episode as a pilot.  It just doesn't register like that.  I know Omar doesn't show up til episode three, but I'm pretty sure Lester doesn't have any lines in the first episode either (?).

I think that's right. For the longest time, you think Lester is just a joke like those other random losers in the background.

C'mon the dude looked to fucking cool just to be a joke! I always knew he had something special about him.

Interesting fact(well for me anyway):  I've never seen an episode of the Wire, and around 2005, when I was bouncing, Michael K. Williams(Omar) came into the bar I was bouncing at and everybody freaked because I wanted to pat him down.  He was the only one that was cool about, telling his folks to settle down and let the man do his job.  Apparently, he has family that lives in my city, but I did feel like an asshole because I had no idea he was famous.

Hating McNulty is the first step towards loving McNulty. It's a fact.

He's just such a collection of musty old cop cliches. Failed marriage, asshole, renegade also gets yelled at by his superiors, but he greets things done and zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

He's just such a collection of musty old cop cliches. Failed marriage, asshole, renegade also gets yelled at by his superiors, but he greets things done and zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You will loooooooooooooooooooove some True Detective.

McNulty might not crack my top 10 (or maybe my top 15) characters, but you are just foolishly attaching ideas to stuff you haven't even scratched the surface on.  The idea of McNulty as the cliched cop who gets results is just so laughable.

I think it's okay not to like The Wire.  If someone gives it a legit chance and doesn't like it, then do you.  I don't get you, but it has more than enough advocates nowadays and not everyone is going to like a depressing look at a city's drug culture, politics, and infrastructure.

Anyway, I don't really think my problem is with "cop shows", per se.   My issues are more with procedurals (or any setting with a case-of-the-week formula), which rely heavily on case-of-the-week plots and generally maintain the status quo.  Cop shows generally get the blunt of the blame, but I feel the same about lawyer and medical shows too.  The Wire does not fit this model.

It's interesting we're talking about how it takes some people time to get into The Wire because I still haven't felt the need to watch the Sopranos run.  I've seen an episode(and scenes) here and there, but nothing more.  I've read a decent amount about the show so I know how it ends and some plot points.  It's weird to know things about a show you've rarely seen.  I guess I'm just not interested in mafia depictions as a whole. 

As fully admitted, this is through 4 episodes.

I got ya.  I'm not trying to be a dick or whatnot, it's just a tough show to talk about episode to episode.  I've watched it all the way through a few times so it's hard to remember my instant impressions of the first few episodes, but I do remember having problems with the sheer number of characters.  Hard to be instantly grabbed when there is just so much going on.

Keep in mind that it is building outwards, as in, you will see more of the city as the show goes along.  Kids, criminals, cops, union workers, politicians, teachers etc..  It's hard to even categorize it as a cop show for me, but I'm sure that was probably my initial impression as well. 

Is there anything I am missing? I'd rather avoid action movies because that's too easy. Olympus Has Fallen was pretty stupid and entertaining. I just saw part of Attack On Wall Street (or something along those lines) that was pretty terrible, too.

The Adventures of Food Boy.

I think it's okay not to like The Wire.  If someone gives it a legit chance and doesn't like it, then do you.  I don't get you, but it has more than enough advocates nowadays and not everyone is going to like a depressing look at a city's drug culture, politics, and infrastructure.

It might sound kind of vapid, but I think main appeal of TV is escapism. I'm sure The Wire is fantastic and it does have important things to say, but yeah, it just seems like something you'd watch and get depressed about.

I remember the first time I tried to watch The Wire I gave up on it after 2 episodes but my buddy insisted I stick with it and I burned through seasons 1-4 in about 3 weeks.

As far as the comparison with The Sopranos goes, The wire focuses on a group of characters and tells their life paths whereas The Sopranos is ultimately about Tony (the antihero) from start to finish so maybe that makes it easier for people to grasp on to.