DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Normally I don't like cop shows but so many people have been high on True Detective (mainly people whose opinions I tend to respect) I'm thinking of giving it a try.  Is it one of those shows that transcends genre?

It seems to be generating a lot of essay writing on good lit. review sites which has to be a good sign. 

But I haven't started watching it yet, so I can't enter the thread here or read any of that stuff.

Difference between the first episodes of THE SOPRANOS and THE WIRE is that one was written as a pilot and the other was written as the first chapter of a story. David Chase was a TV lifer by the time he wrote SOPRANOS and it shows in that first episode. Dude knew how to write a fucking pilot. David Simon was a relative noob by comparison and either didn't know or simply didn't care.

It's hard to even think of the Wire's first episode as a pilot.  It just doesn't register like that.  I know Omar doesn't show up til episode three, but I'm pretty sure Lester doesn't have any lines in the first episode either (?). 

Also almost anyone starting The Wire series now is watching it after hearing and reading the "best show ever" or "one of the best tv shows of all time" rhetoric.  I think a lot times people's expectations are all out of wack when they start it; positively and negatively.

You can't judge The Wire by just one episode. It needs to be viewed in at least 2 episodes at a time in order to absorb where htings are going. The first season is like a fine meal with the first 2 episodes as an amuse bouche.

James

It's hard to even think of the Wire's first episode as a pilot.  It just doesn't register like that.  I know Omar doesn't show up til episode three, but I'm pretty sure Lester doesn't have any lines in the first episode either (?).

I think that's right. For the longest time, you think Lester is just a joke like those other random losers in the background.

Watch every episode of According to Jim before making up your mind on it. ...... I'll be good, please don't hurt me, Brian.

The season three nine episode arc where the chick from SUMMER SCHOOL puts Jim Belushi on a diet and he hides food in the laundry hamper matches up pretty evenly with ANGEL season 4.

But, man...the two-part "divide the house up by painting a line down the middle of the living room" epic...

breathtaking.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to use Jim Belushi AS chum, so no thanks.

Also, this:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/03/10-greatest-hbo-seasons/

Metacritic based. I guess that means keep watching, Fowler.

10. Deadwood — 9.3 (season two)

9. The Wire — 9.35 (season two)

8. Six Feet Under — 9.5 (season five)

7. Oz — 9.55 (season two)

6. The Sopranos — 9.55 (season two)

5. The Sopranos — 9.55 (season four)

4. The Sopranos — 9.6 (season three)

3. The Larry Sanders Show — 9.6 (season three)

2. The Wire — 9.65 (season three)

1. The Wire — 9.7 (season four)

The other day I had the choice of watching The Battle of Algiers for the first time or watching an old Diagnosis Murder rerun where Mark was framed for murder and almost given the electric chair (all within the space of about a month). I chose the latter.

I have no regrets.

• Like 1