DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I gave Resurrection a shot last night even though I'm afraid to get into anything that tries to be like Lost since that was a terrible experience for me. Did not help that this show starts with someone opening their eye in an empty field & that someone ends up being named Jacob. But the episode was okay & I'm intrigued enough to watch next week. Keeping my eye on the ratings though because if there's any sign the show may be cancelled I want to get out before I get invested.

Cosmos was jaw dropping.  Between the astonishing visuals, the music, and having everything explained in a clear, simple and concise fashion, a science show that really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or at least sort-of-know totally overwhelmed me even before the Giordano Bruno story (of which I knew the basics, but had never really heard in such depth before.)

Resurrection open to big numbers, which doesn't shock me since ABC pushed pretty hard and it has an easy to explain yet intriguing hook; dead people back from the grave. 

Unfortunately, the promos looked corny and the french show, Les Revenants, has the same concept and sounds way more interesting.  You know those ABC executives just wanted a low rent version of it.

Cosmos was jaw dropping.  Between the astonishing visuals, the music, and having everything explained in a clear, simple and concise fashion, a science show that really didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or at least sort-of-know totally overwhelmed me even before the Giordano Bruno story (of which I knew the basics, but had never really heard in such depth before.)

I thought the animation on the Bruno story was amazing. I loved the ending of it.

After watching Family Guy before hand and some of the jokes they did, I have a feeling this is Seth's way of doing pennance with the universe.

In terms of the creative process, I get the feeling Seth has had a very small and distant relationship with it in terms of Family Guy for quite awhile if not most of the second run. That's just the way it seems. He's definitely been hands-off with American Dad for the most part.

Guest Edwin

Has anyone caught the Irish sitcom Moone Boy?

It's a really fun, light hearted sitcom co-written and co-starring Chris O'Dowd who most of you are probably with as Roy from the IT Crowd.

It's about a little Irish kid from a simple, humble family called Martin and his imaginary friend Sean who's played by Chris O'Dowd.

David Simon(the creator of The Wire) explains it better in Alan Sepinwall's book about great tv shows in the last decade, but I'll try to sum it up here.  Simon talks about how he comes from a background in newspapers and novels, and not the television world.  When he was writing The Wire, he's coming at it from a newspaper/journalistic prospective because it's the background he understood.  This is why The Wire is built more like a novel.  Each season is a chapter.  Sure there are bigger moments in certain episodes than others, but Simon didn't think the pilot was worse than any other episode in the first season even though most say it's a pretty mundane pilot.  He just thinks people knew more about the story, setting, and characters in the latter episodes due to his style of writing, which is why he believes people say it picks up later on.

Edited by _MJ_

Only thing I know about Simon is that he said the Wire winning some pill for biggest tv show ever was wrong, and Buffy should have won it. So he does seem like an awesome and intelligent dude.

I watched the first episode of Resurrection this morning and liked it a lot better when it was called Flight of the Navigator.

Normally I don't like cop shows but so many people have been high on True Detective (mainly people whose opinions I tend to respect) I'm thinking of giving it a try.  Is it one of those shows that transcends genre?