DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I finally buckled down and watched Too Many Cooks (actually passed on watching it when it originally aired, or fell asleep, one or the other) and it wasn't any great shakes. Pretty much the norm for Adult Swim; the thing that stuck with me most is the goddamn theme song that won't leave my head. I can see why people who don't watch Tim and Eric and the really far-out AS stuff flipped over it but I've been watching this shit for years.

So this Emprie show they keep shilling on Fox...anyone else wonder if the producers have a plan in place in cause Howard demands more money and a bigger role in season two?

Howard's character is diagnosed with cancer almost immediately in the series.  Kinda negates his leverage, unless he wants Lucious (his character) to pass away sooner than expected.

Anybody catch Simpso-Rama? I was pretty amused by it. Solid jokes, fun premise, cool nods to lots of Futurama jokes and episodes.

Yeah, I caught it this morning before work.  Missed Zoidberg, but otherwise I thought it was pretty funny.  Laughed at a lot of the little throwaway jokes.

I remember Amy, must have missed Zoidberg.

Gonna watch it again anyway.  Think I missed a couple of the throwaway gags.

Zoidberg even said something to the effect of "I guess everybody gets to say something......and that's all I get."  Or something to that effect.  I'm a big Zoidberg mark, right down to my Zoidberg tattoo.

This might belong in the podcast thread but, my God, Serial has done a better of hooking me into a murder investigation than most detective shows ever do. The woman behind it should get involved in writing for television, she knows more about building the drama in one episode than the people behind The Killing did for all the shows. 

So, at my brother-in-law's urging, I watched Too Many Cooks.

That was really fucking terrible.

Yeah, that's my reaction. Actually, some of the other informercial parodies available from Adult Swim's On Demand channel have been funnier. The Goth workout informericial and the dog product one killed me (the guy playing the host in the dog informercial had the scream-at-the-camera-be-too-intense style down perfectly).

I thought Too Many Cooks was funny for about four minutes, Then it began to drag. And I still don't understand the serial killer stuff. Seemed needlessly dark and in kinda poor taste.

The hell of it is that no one here is wrong. It was all of those things.

• Like 1

Guys, please tell me that the actor who plays Matt Saracen in FNL got at least an Emmy nomination for the episode where

His dad dies

If not, then there is no right in this world.

Nope.  He's been nominated for some of his work with Connie Britton but that was for a movie :)

He absolutely deserved an Emmy or two for his work on that show.

• Like 1

I was watching a cold war spy show on BBC America called The Game.  The show is about MI6 investigating whether the Soviets are planning to drop a nuclear bomb on London.  So, this high-level administrator within the agency decides to call his mother (who is emotionally cold and stereotypical English) and tell her that he loves her.  She interrupts him and asks him what he's doing and he says "I'm trying to tell you how I feel", and in response she says: "don't, we're not Spanish!".

Funniest line I've ever seen in a spy show/movie.

So 16 women have now come forward to accuse Bill Cosby of rape.

This could very well be heading into Jimmy Savile territory now. Especially since women, overwhelmingly, are reluctant to come forward about sexual assault.

Yes: 16 may be a fraction of the real number.

This could very well be heading into Jimmy Savile territory now. Especially since women, overwhelmingly, are reluctant to come forward about sexual assault.

or it could be horseshit.

Honestly, Cosby's best bet is to just retire from the public eye for the rest of his life.