DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So Lena Dunham may have wrecked her career.

On one hand, I find her annoying and self-entitled. On the other, it sounds more like her and her sister were victims of crappy, negligent parents and I don't think someone's life should be ruined because of something they did when they were 7.

Really, my main question is how her book managed to get through editors, publishers, proofreaders and early reviewers without someone saying "Lena, what the hell? Take that story out. No one needs to hear that. It's for you, your sister and a therapist." 

Never got the appeal. Seems just the latest example of insular and elitist NY culture being foisted on the rest of popular culture.

Regardless of what she did as a kid, her outraged reaction to all this, and hilariously threatening to sue the site that reported it when all they did was use her very words, pretty much indicates this.

Call me cynical, but I don't think the spokesperson of this generation, or any generation for that matter, should be that out of touch with the real world.

If you haven't noticed:

EVERY spokesperson of this, or the last two, generations have been completly out of touch with the real world.

Its kinda what's causing the majority of the people to be out of touch with the real world.

• Like 2

Hollywood still reveres Roman Polanski and hardly batted an eye over the Bryan Singer allegations earliers this year. I think they'll be able overlook some awkward stuff she did as a kid.

What should make her worry about her career is the fact that nobody watches her show.

If you haven't noticed:

EVERY spokesperson of this, or the last two, generations have been completly out of touch with the real world.

Its kinda what's causing the majority of the people to be out of touch with the real world.

Well, Malala seems pretty cool and grounded. Also, she survived getting shot in the head, which is 50 Cent-levels of bad ass. 

It's pretty clear it's a smear piece after having read the pages in question and seeing who the comments/accusations are coming from. I eagerly await Louie CK being called a child-beating, racist, homophobic, pedophile. 

It's pretty clear it's a smear piece after having read the pages in question and seeing who the comments/accusations are coming from. I eagerly await Louie CK being called a child-beating, racist, homophobic, pedophile. 

It's a smear piece but they use her own words. She can't say "How dare you call me a sexual predator? I'll sue!" when she actually uses the term "sexual predator" herself to describe what she was doing.

I don't think she's a criminal, or set out to harm her sister. But, my God, is she handling this terribly. Her sister making very vague comments and not exactly leaping to her defense doesn't help matters.

Basically, a bad situation made considerably worse by the fact she thought making it public in a book was a good idea.

Lol, till I googled her, I thought we were discussing the actress from Game of Thrones and the Terminator tv series....

(hangs head in shame, then realizes he doesn't actually feel bad about not knowing who Lena Dunham is).

Lena Headey > Lena Dunham

• Like 4

Seconded on the thought earlier. At no point did an editor call to be like "Ok Lena, a few final notes before we lock this final draft...We corrected a few your/you're issues, easy to overlook... We though chapter 7 flowed better combined with chapter 8, so with your approval we'll merge them. And also you should probably just leave everything about your little sister's vagina out. We've also sent you our favorite 10 photos for the 'about the author picture..."

The issue with her is that she has her own head so far up her ass that she thinks she's immune to criticism.  Oh you don't think I'm the smartest hipest voice out there? You must be sexist. She always comes across as a spoiled, entitled brat. Having said that, she was really stupid to print that story.

I don't get why it's even a story. 7-year olds don't know what the fuck they're doing or what's going on. They are children. Very young children. I have a hard time calling that a sexual predator.

She's not a criminal. I don't think think anyone really judges her for what did when she was 7. (The story she tells of masturbating next to her sleeping sister at 17 and her attitudes towards her in general are rather weird though and probably something for a therapist.)

The issue is that she didn't get why putting it in a book for the world for the world to see, and joking about it, was a bad idea.

Season finale? I assumed they'd be a year-round show like The Daily Show. Rats.

I get what you mean, but calling The Daily Show year round is a bit of an overstatement. Stewart and Colbert take a week or two week long breaks every month and a half it seems not counting major holidays.

• Like 1