DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So for some reason I kicked off my holiday binge watching with the 1st season of Amazon's new show MOZART IN THE JUNGLE. It was...passable. But at only 10 half-hour episodes, by the time you realize it's never going to get much better than that, you're halfway through, so fuck it, you watch the whole thing.

I kinda feel like it has the same problem as HOUSE OF CARDS, in that it's a TV show made by people with no experience making TV shows.

Gael Garcia Bernal tries REAAAAALLLLYYY hard to elevate things when he gets a chance, though. Maybe too hard some times.

So I'm finally getting into season 2 of SLEEPY HOLLOW, two episodes thus far, and I haven't seen a drop-off so far.

That said, I feel like coming up with a gimmick that makes Headless's face visible and allows him to have conversations with Katrina is a mistake. He was way more interesting as an unknowable force of mayhem and destruction. What are his feelings, his motivations? We can't know, he doesn't have a fucking head! Now we get to hear him piss and moan about Ichabod all damn day.

But the Franklinstein monster kinda makes up for it. That is EXACTLY the sort of stupendously absurd stuff I signed up for with this show.

Man, as flawed as Season Five of The Wire is, those last two episodes are killers. The last one is such a perfect wrap-up. I was thinking last night about how great it would have been with the season four end and no five at all, but even after all the preposterous shit in the season they just nail it in those final moments.