DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I know if you look like Mama June you probably can't be picky with men, but fucking hell. This may genuinely be one of the most hideous things I've ever heard of.

"Hey, you're a monster who violated my trust and destroyed my daughter's innocence my ten years ago, but let's get together again and I'll totally let you around all my other young daughters! That will be cool!"   

Let's change the subject, shall we? 

Z Nation.

So, I started watching this one and thought it was a sub Zombieland spoof of zombie shows, and it worked.  Didn't take itself seriously, had some atrocious acting (mostly from the guest stars, the main cast is ok), and had really silly situations, like the zombie baby and the zombie getting high in the elevator shaft.  Never had to take it too seriously, just flat out guilty pleasure watching.  Yeah, they led you to believe that one name actor was the lead guy, but then zombie baby happened and I thought it was all just a cool swerve and hook to get you into the show.  Worked, obviously, on me, but still, it's just guilty pleasure watching.  And then there's DJ Qualls's character who apparently is the NSA DJ for the apocalypse broadcasting from the Arctic -- he's only comic relief and apparently insane from being alone. 

That all changed with the crazy religious cult episode.  The cult leader was not that different than the cannibal leader the last time around; silly looking, terrible actor, didn't seem like much of a threat to our team.  I mean, the guy looked and acted like a joke. 

1055539.jpg

His attack on the compound was pretty smart, actually, and played nicely on the "everyone is infected and will come back" theory propagated by the Walking Dead.  There's a scene where our gang is trapped in a long hallway with a bunch of civilians and the door out is blocked from the outside and everyone's trying to push their way through as the zombies run up and start eating at the back of the line, slowly turning the queue zombie.  That's a surprisingly terrifying spot for such a silly show. 

And then --- Joke religious cult guy --

kills Garnett, who we've come to think of as the main character through the first season.  Not only does he kill Garnett, we see him reanimate.  Heady, heady stuff for what's supposed to be a joke show.

Yeah, so, Z Nation, silly show made by the Asylum, makers of Sharknado and all those terrible knockoffs of movies you'd see back in the day at blockbuster (transmorphers!) -- they just made a must-watch show somehow.  It knows it's supposed to be stupid, and plays with your expectations based not just on storyline, but also on a meta-level, as in how famous the actor is, how bad is the acting. 

I'm impressed.

Finally watched the first Mike Tyson's mysteries show on Adult Swim.   It is basically a take off on the Scooby Doo cartoons only a lot of more edgier.  Norm McDonald as the pigeon is the true star so far.   I enjoyed it.   Not sure why they are only 15 minutes long but I figure it would take Mike 4 or 5 hours to do the vocals for a 30 minute cartoon

Finally watched the first Mike Tyson's mysteries show on Adult Swim.   It is basically a take off on the Scooby Doo cartoons only a lot of more edgier.  Norm McDonald as the pigeon is the true star so far.   I enjoyed it.   Not sure why they are only 15 minutes long but I figure it would take Mike 4 or 5 hours to do the vocals for a 30 minute cartoon

To each their own.  I thought it was fairly flat myself.  Kinda doubt I'll check out the second ep.  I tend to dislike almost all the CN 15=min shows these days.  Mr. Pickles may be the worst thing I've watched lately.

They seem to have used Charlyne Yi's character from House MD as the character model for Iron Mike's Asian daughter, so it was rather jarring when I realized the voice actress sounds nothing like her.

Just realized last night that a new season of Black Dynamite had started.  The first ep was suitably out there and fairly amusing.  The second episode - about a man-eating shark that only ate African-Americans - was hilarious and really strange. I'm still laughing at the jokes about Black Dynamite going to absurd lengths to get the job done while avoiding swimming (i.e,, instead of jumping into the water and swimming a few feet to rescue a guy, BD sets off an explosion which causes a tidal wave which washes the guy to shore.  Lol, problem solved).

Im nearly done with season 3 of Friday Night Lights and I cant believe how good it is, its like a completely different show when compared to the past season. Its shorter than season 1 but IMO it packs way more of a punch.

So many great moments too- if you told me at the start of the very first episode of s1 that id be shedding tears over Jason Street and Smash Williams I would've laughed in your face. Street getting his family back, Riggins trying to do right, Tyra breaking down in front of her mother, Coachs speech to Smash before the tryouts ("Go all the way"), Smash getting in!, Smash and Coachs hug.... I could go on and on. I love this show and Eric Taylor gets my vote as best TV character ever.

*Apologies for the loved up rambling

• Like 4

While I can respect Shonda Rhimes's desire to de-stigmatize homosexuality, Conor Walsh gets laid more often than the straight characters on How To Get Away With Murder.   Wes Gibbons and Rebecca Sutter need to quit playing mind games with each other and get busy.

Credit to Gotham: It looks great and has this terrific timeless feel that Batman: The Animated Series had. Visually I'd give it the edge over the Nolan movies (although I really love the 50s noir stuff so I'm a bit biased.) Reminds me of Dark City.

I just wish it was, you know, a better show.

A for aesthetics, C for everything else.

Interesting thing about ratings...

Constantine is dying on its ass in the ratings, which makes it yet another "show I would probably check out, but it's doomed and probably not worth investing in."

Elementary has totally collapsed too. Although syndication means it's getting a fourth season anyway. IMO, it's turned too much into "procedural of the week" and lost a lot of its appeal.

TVbythenumbers says the success of CBS's new dramas means Blue Bloods, Hawaii 5-0 and some other veteran shows are probably gone too. Sad because we need Tom Selleck's mustache on television.

Started watching an old childhood favorite, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, via YouTube last night. I'm honestly shocked how well a show from the early 90s holds up in this day in age. Maybe due to some of my personal nostalgia, perhaps. Anyone else here a fan back in the day?

• Like 2

Started watching an old childhood favorite, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, via YouTube last night. I'm honestly shocked how well a show from the early 90s holds up in this day in age. Maybe due to some of my personal nostalgia, perhaps. Anyone else here a fan back in the day?

I loved that show. It had a great little sense of absurdity. I loved the kid with the trench coat that had every possible thing in it, and the slimy toady guy with the slick ponytail.

I'll freely admit that I never expected to see John Wayne Gacy appear in an animated show dressed as a clown.  I also did not expect to see said serial killer chase children through a house while dressed as a clown, with the whole thing played off as a wacky comedy bit.

This week's episode of Black Dynamite. BD hired Gacy to babysit the kids on Halloween, and he chased them around the house trying to kill them all. The whole thing was played like a Home Alone outtake, with the kids pushing Gacy down the steps and such.

Yeah.....