DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Really enjoying Crossbones so far.  Not fair to compare a show that's aired two eps vs. a show that's aired two seasons, but so far, I'm digging this much more than Hannibal.

I happened to start watching both (first episode of Crossbones, 3 of Hannibal) I'm surprised by what they're both getting away with in terms of violence, though of course, a bit of nipple is off limits. I like what Malkovich is doing in Crossbones and I love what Mikkelson is doing as Hannibal. I have some complaints though. All of the pirates in Crossbones are suitably manky, except for the pretty women with perfect teeth. A tiny complaint perhaps, but enough to turn me off the whole thing.

My complaint about both shows though is the intrusive score. I don't watch network shows, so I suspect this is something that's common in all of them. I occasionally am around when my wife is watching her shows, and the scores are practically non-stop throughout the whole show. Compare that to recent shows I've been watching (The Wire, House of Cards, Breaking Bad) and it's a world of difference. I'm rewatching The West Wing at the moment, and while it did air on a network, the score is nowhere near as pervasive. In fact, it's barely there. It's as if the network shows today don't have enough confidence in their writing to convey emotion without resorting to heavy handed tactics. Crossbones much worse than Hannibal in this respect.

I love the HANNIBAL score. It's so weird and unlike anything else on TV, just like the rest of the show. Like, I really believe there's a solitary snare drum tapping away arrhythmically in psychopaths' heads now.

Depends when it is from. The show got incredibly racist at times over the past few years. Yes, even in comparison to how racist it already was at times.

Once I rewatch The Black Donnellys and lament that it never got a second sason. The last few episodes made up for some of the stupidity i nthe middle (The bar scene when Tommy finally beats the crap out of Doki is pretty great). It could've developed into something better if given a chance.

Alas...

James

Guest Edwin

Sundays episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a long while.

He's just been too darn good.

The shows only aired 6 episodes and it looks like he'll be eclipsing the Daily Show and the Colbert Report soon.

Helps that it's only on once a week and no one is reusing the same story a half hour before him. Plus, there isn't one particular format yet. Thus, Right Said Fred can end your show.

Helps that it's only on once a week and no one is reusing the same story a half hour before him. Plus, there isn't one particular format yet. Thus, Right Said Fred can end your show.

Plus being on HBO helps.

On a related note I'm really savoring these remaining Colbert Reports. It's gonna be interesting to see what his Late Show looks like.

Wait, are you spoiling the end of next week's Game of Thrones?

HALT AND CATCH FIRE.

Go watch it, it's awesome and I want it to continue.

It's a pretty good show. I mean, it's basically an off-brand Don Draper/Walter White team-up, but it's worlds better than LOW WINTER SUN, and more lively than TURN. It's the first halfway decent new show AMC has aired in ages.

Ratings are shit, though, so it'll probably go the way of RUBICON.

I've been trying to get into a new show since GoT and Fargo are ending. I thought the first episode was pretty decent and was kinda distracting catching a replay of the second episode. This is probably the first show I've watched where people don't start dying randomly so my attention span maybe affected. Hopefully it doesn't cancelled before then. 

I could not be less interested in TYRANT. Looks like an awful bore to me. The lead guy has negative charisma.

I think THE STRAIN will be awesome.

THE BRIDGE kinda lost me toward the end, but hopefully it'll rebound this season.

I'm going to give THE LEFTOVERS a shot, even though there's no way that premise is sustainable or leads to a satisfying conclusion.

In 2014 Howard on the radio is more entertaining than 99.9999% of TV programming.

If you can deal with his hypocrisy, the 3 shows a week, ad nauseum vacations and the fact that since Artie left there is nothing funny about the show. Oh and the how big is your cock crap that was funny never...Other than that, he's great.

It's still better than some TV, but he's honestly been eclipsed by Opie and Anthony at this point.

What a douche. Hypocrisy? Not sure what you mean but smart people evolve. Yes I can deal with the 3 shows a week and the vacations. Don't you think he's fucking earned the right to make his own schedule? Not funny anymore is just nonsense but your opinion so whatever.

Opie and Anthony? Wow yeah. You like them over Mancow huh?

My hypocrisy statement came from the fact for one, that he ran down Imus for having a trophy wife and promoting her worthless projects...and he did the same thing almost immediately after making a movie about what a great guy he is and how much he loved his first wife. I wouldn't have beef with his 3 days a week if he was on terrestrial radio....but he's on a pay service....he suckered a lot of people, including myself to plunk down money for this and it was okay for a time.....now it sucks....not to mention the fact that his interviews have no research behind them...again, it's the same old shtick.

Suits and Graceland return to USA as well as Covert Affairs and Royal Pains.  My evenings will now transition from video games to television for the next few weeks.