DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So Twin Peaks is coming out on special edition Blu Ray in a few weeks (as well as the feature film). I ended up watching the pilot again.

Some things that struck me:

-I never realized The Killing blatantly ripped off the "Mom finds out her daughter is dead by listening in over the phone" thing before.

-Laura Palmer is the oldest looking 17 year old ever.

-Best thing about the show was how, despite all the weirdness, you'd get caught off-guard by the genuinely human emotion/reaction to things.

-Kyle McLachlan was never this good again.

-Whole thing does feel a bit dated though. In a way that Blue Velvet never did.

-Bobby is awful.

Guest Edwin

Has anyone been watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on Sundays on HBO?

I've been watching and it's hilarious.

In 2014 Howard on the radio is more entertaining than 99.9999% of TV programming.

And yeah, pretty much. Women. Uncooperative. Rude. Etc. It's not even as if Roseanne was a bad show or anything (I always thought it was enjoyable up until the last few seasons), but to try and argue that it's on the level of Seinfeld in terms of quality, ingenuinity, and cultural impact is just mind boggling.

I heard the George line "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it" dropped into a radio show yesterday and it got me thinking how utterly brilliant Seinfeld is. I put Curb Your Enthusiasm right there with it.

Antacular I think we need a Stern thread. The only thing that keeps me from starting one is I've been like 3 months behind for years. For those who don't know the show is still great and no other interviewer even comes close to Howard. #1 and the best.

• Like 1

Has anyone been watching Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on Sundays on HBO?

I've been watching and it's hilarious.

The "Other Countries Presidents of the United States" bit had me cracking up. Even as kind of a political junkie Australia PM Tony Abbott wasn't on my radar. He sure is now! He's like an even more dimwitted GW Bush. I love it.

• Like 1

In 2014 Howard on the radio is more entertaining than 99.9999% of TV programming.

And yeah, pretty much. Women. Uncooperative. Rude. Etc. It's not even as if Roseanne was a bad show or anything (I always thought it was enjoyable up until the last few seasons), but to try and argue that it's on the level of Seinfeld in terms of quality, ingenuinity, and cultural impact is just mind boggling.

I heard the George line "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it" dropped into a radio show yesterday and it got me thinking how utterly brilliant Seinfeld is. I put Curb Your Enthusiasm right there with it.

Antacular I think we need a Stern thread. The only thing that keeps me from starting one is I've been like 3 months behind for years. For those who don't know the show is still great and no other interviewer even comes close to Howard. #1 and the best.

That's my all time favorite line from TV ever, can't count the number of times I've quoted it. The way George says it as if it's some deeply held secret that he's reluctant to reveal makes that scene perfect. Seinfeld is #1, and Curb is #2. Whereas the former had to be more clever on certain topics due to censors, I'd say the latter has more LOL moments.

Howard is the only interviewer I can listen to for hours on end, nevermind the rest of the show. Perfect example of someone who's only gotten better with age (Larry David has remained remarkably consistent). But where would we stick a Howard thread? Music? Land of Confusion?

In even more exciting adapted-novel news, AMC is doing a series based on "The Son". I'm a big fan of the book. It's an epic on Texas history that follows 1 family as they go from cotton-men to cattle-men to oil-men.

Information regarding the new Netflix series based on Pablo Escobar "Narcos"

Caution - contains a Game of Thrones spoiler

Oberyn might be gone from Game of Thrones, but Pedro Pascal has already signed on to his next project.

EW has confirmed that Pascal has been cast opposite Wagner Moura (Elysium) in Netflix’s upcoming series, Narcos. Written by Chris Brancato and directed by Jose Padilha, the drama tells the true story behind the spread of cocaine drug cartels and the lawmen who tried to take them down. Moura will star as famous drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, while Pascal takes on the role of Javier Pena, a Mexican DEA agent who is sent to Colombia in an attempt to take down (a.k.a. kill) Escobar. Deadline first reported the casting.

Narcos will premiere on Netflix in 2015.

If you can deal with his hypocrisy, the 3 shows a week, ad nauseum vacations and the fact that since Artie left there is nothing funny about the show.  Oh and the how big is your cock crap that was funny never...Other than that, he's great.

It's still better than some TV, but he's honestly been eclipsed by Opie and Anthony at this point.

Since someone mentioned John Cryer in another thread, I thought I'd throw out that I (unfortunately) caught a random episode of the most recent season of TWO AND A HALF MEN the other day and was dumbfounded to see that they were still making all the same jokes about Cryer's character being a pathetic loser that they were 10 years ago. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of this shitshow, but I would wager they were almost verbatim.

How do you go a fucking DECADE without having the character grow in some discernable way? I understand this is CBS and they don't want to fuck up a hit, but what a miserable comedy. At least the BIG BANG THEORY let the nerds get married and become successful in their careers and shit.

If you can deal with his hypocrisy, the 3 shows a week, ad nauseum vacations and the fact that since Artie left there is nothing funny about the show. Oh and the how big is your cock crap that was funny never...Other than that, he's great.

It's still better than some TV, but he's honestly been eclipsed by Opie and Anthony at this point.

What a douche. Hypocrisy? Not sure what you mean but smart people evolve. Yes I can deal with the 3 shows a week and the vacations. Don't you think he's fucking earned the right to make his own schedule? Not funny anymore is just nonsense but your opinion so whatever.

Opie and Anthony? Wow yeah. You like them over Mancow huh?

I found myself watching a few episodes of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. I was expecting a horror show, but it really wasn't. Sure, they're all uncouth, annoying and trashy, but they actually seem like...a perfectly functional and happy family. Where's the drama meant to be? The woman with 8 chins comes off as a pretty decent mom, all things considered. She's always telling her kids how great and beautiful are. A lot of mothers don't.

Honestly, it comes off as WAY less exploitative than your average reality show. Not sure what all the fuss is.

It is because they aren't tv ugly, but ugly-ugly, I guess. Also, the south. Also, it is a spin-off of that toddler pageant shit I believe. People find reasons. Personally, I just do not watch reality TV.

If you can deal with his hypocrisy, the 3 shows a week, ad nauseum vacations and the fact that since Artie left there is nothing funny about the show. Oh and the how big is your cock crap that was funny never...Other than that, he's great.

Hypocrisy regarding? Sure 3x a week sucks compared to 4 or 5, but it's better than nothing. Guy is 60, been on the air since, what, 1980? 81? Not like he hasn't earned an easier schedule. And of course Artie was great, but I honestly don't believe the quality of the overall show has dropped since his departure.

O&A are fine, but you can't complain about cock jokes on Howard when every other line outta Norton's mouth (who I think is hysterical) is about banging some gross hooker on a dirty mattress at 3 in the afternoon.

I have only heard one segment from Opie and Anthony from a few years ago with Patton Oswalt where Norton told a story about getting it on with a transgendered prostitute that he wasn't aware was a man. That was an odd one.