DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Hey guys, is Merritt Wever good in stuff?  I've never watched THE NEW GIRL or NURSE JACKIE but I just saw an episode of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and she was freaking amazing.

Funny note: On this one episode there were three separate scenes where the boom mic or its shadow was in the shot.  Like, some dude had a very bad week.

I'm asking this because I don't want to watch NURSE JACKIE.

Random observation from this week's ION police procedural marathon:

Everyone likes to make fun of the "discovering the body" scene on all the Law and Order type shows and how NYC actors would pick up a quick check that way.  But I've discovered my new favorite dependable bit part.  

It's a bit specific to L&O: CRIMINAL INTENT (my current fav.  Vincent D'Onofrio is mountainous and the cast lists of each episode are so deep...Karen Black showed up in one episode tonight just for shits and grins).  

Since they're the "Major case squad" that means technically a case gets handed to them once someone decides it's important.  That means that in every episode, after the cold open/murder and credits, when the leads arrive on scene, there always has to be another homicide detective there.  The regular homicide guy whose case it was before it got "kicked up" to major case.  We walks them through the crime scene and then disappears forever.

It's a different guy from a different shift in a different borough in every episode, which means at least like 150 guys have played this part, put on a raincoat, pinned a random "Homicide" badge to their shoulder, popped in a stick of gum, and did this one scene.  I wish I was enough of a freak to make a youtube montage of these and a giant list of every local actor who did this and I'm dismayed to see that Internet has not done this yet on its own.

Hey guys, is Merritt Wever good in stuff?  I've never watched THE NEW GIRL or NURSE JACKIE but I just saw an episode of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT and she was freaking amazing.

Funny note: On this one episode there were three separate scenes where the boom mic or its shadow was in the shot.  Like, some dude had a very bad week.

I'm asking this because I don't want to watch NURSE JACKIE.

She was good on New Girl but she wasn't on very long. Smaller role. Funny though.

Just as an indicator of how bad Arsenio's ratings must've been, he launched a $1B campaign to buy the Clippers via donations (should he fail to reach that goal, donate to NAACP), and despite being on a nationally televised program, raised.... Does anyone wanna guess?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-arsenio-hall-buy-the-clippers

$3,545 LOLOLOL

Just as an indicator of how bad Arsenio's ratings must've been, he launched a $1B campaign to buy the Clippers via donations (should he fail to reach that goal, donate to NAACP), and despite being on a nationally televised program, raised.... Does anyone wanna guess?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-arsenio-hall-buy-the-clippers

$3,545 LOLOLOL

It's bad timing now. Whatever momentum it may have had died with the cancellation announcement.

Listening to Roseanne on Howard bitch about Seinfeld getting all the accolades in the 90s instead of her is maybe the biggest case of delusions of grandeur in recent memory.

I had no idea Howard Stern was still a thing.  Seriously.

I assume she thinks Seinfeld became bigger than she did because she's a woman or was difficult on the set or somesuch?

In 2014 Howard on the radio is more entertaining than 99.9999% of TV programming.

And yeah, pretty much. Women. Uncooperative. Rude. Etc. It's not even as if Roseanne was a bad show or anything (I always thought it was enjoyable up until the last few seasons), but to try and argue that it's on the level of Seinfeld in terms of quality, ingenuinity, and cultural impact is just mind boggling.

I wanna like Last Comic Standing, especially as Peters and Wayans are extremely funny, but she makes it unbearable to sit through a whole episode. It was obvious from her Howard interview that she considers herself a working-class female version of Jerry, but because she was cursed with the wrong chromosome, credibility forever eludes her to Seinfeld's gain.

That's so bizarre.  How much does she want?  She was a huge star and critics and audiences fawned over her show and still consider it ground-breaking in its time.  So there's one guy who got a little more and she's pissed about that?

Fucking people, man.

Seriously.  It spent a few years being one of (if not the) most popular sitcom on tv, spent most it's run being critically adored, and is still the go-to example for a sitcom that "feels like real life."

She's really got nothing to be upset about.