DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

CBS officially canceled The Crazy Ones.  Also Axed Hostages, Intelligence, Bad Teacher, and Friends with Better Lives.  Not sure if any of those had any real shot at renewal.

The Crazy Ones was doing decently, I think, but it was a disappointment by CBS standards. Wouldn't have been shocked to see it go either way. The Mentalist getting renewed was a surprise, but I assume WB offered CBS a crazy low license fee.

Be interesting to see where Sarah Michelle Gellar goes from here. She's not quite hitting Christian Slater levels of everything-they're-in-gets-cancelled, but still.

I can see Netflix saving some shows: Community seems most likely. I'd like to say Almost Human too, but that does apparently cost a lot. Dracula got cancelled by NBC, but it's apparently going to be back because it's funded by overseas companies and might make its way to netflix or some other channel (NBC were basically syndicating it, similar to Hannibal). 

ANOTHER Odd Couple? Jesus, it's like Hollywood won't rest until they can recreate the success of Randall and Klugman. Which is just never gonna happen.

Well you have to consider that it's almost time for another failed Matthew Perry series so this failure seems as good as any other. 

CBS officially canceled The Crazy Ones.  Also Axed Hostages, Intelligence, Bad Teacher, and Friends with Better Lives.  Not sure if any of those had any real shot at renewal.

The Crazy Ones was doing decently, I think, but it was a disappointment by CBS standards. Wouldn't have been shocked to see it go either way. The Mentalist getting renewed was a surprise, but I assume WB offered CBS a crazy low license fee.

I think I worded my post poorly.  When I said, "not sure if any of those had any real shot at renewal", I was referring to the last four, not Crazy Ones.  Crazy Ones did well ok ratings, apparently, but was done by high expectations and big salaries/overhead.  The other four shows were assumed to be DOA or never got much of a look (Bad Teacher has aired 2 or three eps.  FWBL has had maybe 5 airings.  Hostages was quite obviously not going to be renewed).

Mentalist still gets decent ratings, I guess.  Issue was softening ratings and rising costs, so, yeah, I assume CBS got a crazy good deal and the show will be cutting budget.  They already sorta did that, getting rid of two original cast members (I imagine their replacements make quite a bit less).  Kinda wish the show had ended,  Not a big fan of the writing.  The Red John dragged out way too long and lost all momentum (as usually happens) and it seems to have lost direction since they rebooted it as an FBI procedural. 

Simon Baker has generally given a great performance, and I hope he keeps getting work, but I've never liked the Jane character,   I've always thought Jane came off as more shallow than tortured (which is the take I think we were supposed to get: charismatic guy hiding dark pain behind affable exterior).

Mathew Perry as Oscar Madison though?

Now Artie Lange would almost be perfect... get Josh Molina as Felix and you'd have a winner... at least Artie self-destructs

I'd watch John Hodgman as Felix and Patton Oswalt as Oscar.  (because networks often cast short pudgy guys as both the leads)

I was really fucking depressed after watching the Mexico and Russia eps of Tony Bourdain back to back (along with, erm, other circumstances) but now I'm watching Wild At Heart and feel better. I have no idea why that is any of your business, but hey. That shit was fucked up. The whole pile of it.

Anyone else watching Silicon Valley? The story is fun and all, but the show reaches another level when they go for the absurd. Last nights episode was a great example of this and probably the best episode so far.

"You just brought piss to a shit fight!" - Elrich Bachman

I thought the same thing! When Erlich finds what's his name crying, and goes out to confront the kids, I thought it was a little funny. Then he bitch slaps the kid hard and I lost my shit laughing.

• Like 1

I would like to point out to CBS executives that "Cyber" isn't even technically a place or city. So, title fail.

Are you guys crazy.  This is going to be one of the greatest things ever.  CBS IS GOING TO TAKE US TO THE DARK NET!!!!

How many times do you think they will be live dueling with a "hacker" by furiously typing while lines of code flash on the screen.

"I think I have him cornered in the south router!

He FOUND A BACKDOOR!

SHUT DOWN THE WIFI RAMP COM INTERFACE!!!"

Oh, God, I'm going to spooge watching this show.

• Like 1

I would like to point out to CBS executives that "Cyber" isn't even technically a place or city. So, title fail.

Are you guys crazy.  This is going to be one of the greatest things ever.  CBS IS GOING TO TAKE US TO THE DARK NET!!!!

How many times do you think they will be live dueling with a "hacker" by furiously typing while lines of code flash on the screen.

"I think I have him cornered in the south router!

He FOUND A BACKDOOR!

SHUT DOWN THE WIFI RAMP COM INTERFACE!!!"

Oh, God, I'm going to spooge watching this show.

CBS seem to be aiming this at viewers that are still old enough to still consider the internet some scary, evil place.

I wonder which Who song they'll use.

CBS seem to be aiming this at viewers that are still old enough to still consider the internet some scary, evil place.

I wonder which Who song they'll use.

CHAT ROOMS!!!!!!

I wonder how many crimes will involve a killer or group of killers running a LIVE WEB FEED of their crimes in a SECRET CHAT ROOM!!!!

I'll check the mouse pad for DNA and see if it matches the DNA we found at the scene of that SEX WEBCAST!!!!

Seriously you guys aren't really going to not watch this are you?