DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

They passed on the Supernatural spin off, which is weird since I'd figured it was a good bet. They also renewed Beauty and the Beast despite it doing 0.2s regularly (which even by CW standards is horrendous.) Questionable decisions, IMO.

But, it's OK. "Accidentally Artificially Inseminated" will be doing Walking Dead-type numbers this time next year.

RE: Heigl. I'm sure she is a bit of a bitch on-set. But come on, guys like Charlie Sheen or Jonathan Rhys Meyers get shot after shot and they're bigger fuck ups than she's ever been. It just seems like she's quite arrogant and doesn't have great people skills. As long as she's turning up to work on time and not starting massive arguments with everyone around her, I don't think it's a big problem. She's probably too honest for her own good.

Heigl is a hag with a bigger hag as her mother/manager/enabler.  She harped about how awful Knocked Up was, pissing off Apatow and Rogen.  She pulled her name from Emmy consideration because she said the writing for her character on Gray's Anatomy was bad, pissing off Shonda Rhimes.  Heigl's career is so dead, she can't even get her name on that Zzzquil commercial she does.  She's basically a random actress from central casting. She apparently talks down to people and thinks nearly everything is beneath her.  And she never was as talented as she thought. But now her career is floating like an unflushed turd in a public toilet, and she's trying to be nice.

Sheen and Rhys Meyers are fucked up, but they're almost garden variety in their drug addictions.  And they don't necessarily give the so-called little people personal grief.  Heigl does, and that's why she doesn't get better jobs anymore.

• Like 1

She called Apatow's movies sexist, IIRC, which isn't exactly unfair.

The Grey's Anatomy thing was classless, undoubtedly. But she's hardly the first person to bitch about the declining quality of a show she's on (Harry Shearer and The Simpsons springs to mind).

Haven't heard that much about her treating people badly on a personal level, but it wouldn't surprise me...that much. But the general problem with her seems to be being so opinionated and not diplomatic. 

All I'm saying is, I'd probably rather deal with her than Sheen or someone else messed up by drugs. If you can't deal with a bitchy actress, you probably shouldn't be in Hollywood.

They passed on the Supernatural spin off, which is weird since I'd figured it was a good bet.

I'm pretty happy with this as I wasn't too fond o the backdoor pilot they aired a few weeks ago.

It might not have been great, but at the very least it would have been doing better than the 0.3s or 0.4s most of their shows tend to do. I just don't think it makes much sense of CW's part.

Apparently Beauty and the Beast got saved by being owned by CBS and them wanting two more seasons for a syndication deal. I imagine there were budget cuts too. I fully understand the whole syndication thing, although I have to wonder where the audience is going to be when almost no-one watches it now

I can't wait until a CW show eventually hits a 0.0.

CBS is also annoyed that all the shows that do well on CW are owned by WB and not them. Gotta throw them a bone to keep the stuff that actually makes money on.

Is it wrong of me to want Sorkin to bring us a new West Wing now that his HBO show is gone?

We could be coming off a disastrous 8 year Santos Presidency and th whole first season is the actual primary?

Been done already? Sure, but c'mon, I'd love to see Josh Lyman show up as the elder statesman of the Democratic party, just trying to actually retire.

James

Have you seen Bradley Whitford lately on that crappy Trophy Wife he is on?  He got really old fast, it might be him basically just sleep walking through what's a really bad show that he is on now.  I wish that The Good Guys would've last another season or two, that was great.

Is it possible it does well overseas?

Not sure, maybe. I always heard Nikita did, hence why it stuck around. At least that I can understand: Hot chicks, spies, action, etc. It's the sort of stuff some Mens channel in South America would snap up and air continually at 10 pm.

Beauty and the Beast, though. It's a wishy-washy teen show at a time when TV is filled with them (and those ones are of largely better quality). Not sure who would be terribly keen to get it.

• Like 1

“iZombie” - From writer-producer Rob Thomas (“Cupid,” “Veronica Mars,” “Party Down”). A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner's office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse's memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.

A crime-solving zombie might be up there with Accidentally Artificially Inseminated when it comes to wacky premises.

If I was writing a script about a laughably bad hack script writer...the opening scene would be him in a TV studio meeting room, pitching these shows.

"OK...so people like zombies right now. And you want else people like? Solving crimes! So let's combine the two, with a zombie detective! It can be like CSI: Land of the Dead!"

"Picture this: Teenage girl goes into hospital for routine surgery. But, due to a mix up, she gets accidentally artificially inseminated! But, in a twist, it turns out the donor is, in fact, her soulmate! Can the course of true love run smooth?"

These shows don't even sound real. They sound like parodies.

“iZombie” - From writer-producer Rob Thomas (“Cupid,” “Veronica Mars,” “Party Down”). A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner's office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse's memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.

A crime-solving zombie might be up there with Accidentally Artificially Inseminated when it comes to wacky premises.
If this zombie girl is young and spunky, I predict this will be Fowler's wet dream show. I just hope it's actually a new "Quincy".

Again, not without an asshole possible love interest who might be able to be redeemed. 

But it's Rob Thomas, I'll give it a shot.  Veronica Mars is one of the greatest things ever, and Party Down was damn good.

Eh, Kevin Williamson churned out the Scream franchise, and he's been involved with some truly hideous stuff.

Writers are inconsistent. If Thomas can save this, good for him. But, yeah, I just don't get "Veronica Mars, only as a zombie" hitting it big.

If this zombie girl is young and spunky, I predict this will be Fowler's wet dream show. I just hope it's actually a new "Quincy".

Considering that the actual plot of most episodes would seem to be nearly step for step the same as TRU CALLING, it may bring back a flood of awkward memories.

RE: Heigl. I'm sure she is a bit of a bitch on-set. But come on, guys like Charlie Sheen or Jonathan Rhys Meyers get shot after shot and they're bigger fuck ups than she's ever been. It just seems like she's quite arrogant and doesn't have great people skills. As long as she's turning up to work on time and not starting massive arguments with everyone around her, I don't think it's a big problem. She's probably too honest for her own good.

Heigl is a hag with a bigger hag as her mother/manager/enabler.  She harped about how awful Knocked Up was, pissing off Apatow and Rogen.  She pulled her name from Emmy consideration because she said the writing for her character on Gray's Anatomy was bad, pissing off Shonda Rhimes.  Heigl's career is so dead, she can't even get her name on that Zzzquil commercial she does.  She's basically a random actress from central casting. She apparently talks down to people and thinks nearly everything is beneath her.  And she never was as talented as she thought. But now her career is floating like an unflushed turd in a public toilet, and she's trying to be nice.

Sheen and Rhys Meyers are fucked up, but they're almost garden variety in their drug addictions.  And they don't necessarily give the so-called little people personal grief.  Heigl does, and that's why she doesn't get better jobs anymore.

Sheen is also a proven draw. People are more willing to tolerate assholes who can produce.

• Like 1