DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Watched the first episode of Resurrection today.  I'm sure I'll end up disappointed with where they take the show but the premise ROCKS, the cast is solid, and I loved the first episode.  Gimme more!

It's driving me crazy how much blue there is in season 5 of BREAKING BAD.  I assume there is some reason and when I'm done I can read around...but it's like Lydia wears almost nothing but Blue.  Mike, Walter now is almost always in Blue.  The car wash is deep blue, the scene where Skyler shows Walter the pile of money is crazy...every door in the storage place is blue and they are both wearing blue.  Skyler wears blue when she walks into the super blue-lit water in the pool.

I always thought green and yellow were the colors of the show, like from all the pictures I've seen and commercials and everything.  Now I'm tempted to go back and see if there was like a color thing for each season.  Now that I think of it, the old lab was super red...I kind of think Pollos Hermanos may have been very red too. 

Is this a thing I should at all be paying attention to?

There was a website that had an insanely, and I mean that literally, insanely, detailed chart of the show's color palette. Like, color timelines for individual characters. I forget which it was, though.

Blue was always prominent, though. The tile in his lab at the high school was blue.

I hate not being able to look at that stuff yet.  So far season 5 is astounding.  Every little thing that happens feels so organic and not at all forced.  And it's amazing how little things are allowed to be so decisive.

I'm also loving how they are drawing so many parallels between season 5 Walt and season 3-4 Gus.  The kneeling by the toilet shot was an obvious callback, butalso the way he put off Lydia while working the register at his cover business was basically channeling Gus as well as his total and fastidious isolation.

also so great how quickly they let the Hank/Walt stuff blow up in "blood money"

It's also great how much of this season is simply the natural fallout from the previous season.  When they killed Gus they didn't just "reset" with a new antagonist.  Gus remains the series antagonist even after he's dead.  They are just being really thoughtful agbout the impossible to contain consequences of killing him like that.

That was a running theme throughout the show with Walt.  He absorbed qualities of the men whose death he was responsible for.  If you recall, he started cutting off the crusts of his sandwiches after Crazy 8's.  But to echo the above post, colors are a HUGE theme thoughout the show.  The obvious ones are blue symbolizing Walt's true loves, yellow means something is about to happen usually, and red typically means someone is about to die.  Walt usually wears green when money is involved and so on.

Knowing FX, he probably got that Charlie Sheen 90 episode rider deal tacked on if he gets so much in the ratings.

Just threw up in my mouth a lil'.

You mean you didn't like the preview where his elderly mother makes the "joke" about being gang banged recently?

As of now, we have six episodes left of BREAKING BAD. And I am fully ready to commit myself to a life philosophy of WWLR-QD (What would Lydia Rodarte-Quayle do?).

She's such a weird kind of Mary sue...someone who generally reacts exactly like I would to all this stuff (terrified paranoia) but then shows herself to be insanely brave and death-defying in her plotting and when it comes to putting herself in physical jeopardy, extreme paranoia that leads to causing more problems than are actually there, who researches every possible negative outcome and then cannot sleep until she takes some action to mitigate against them all no matter how remote...but who, being a Mary Sue, is also insanely brave once she commits to taking the next step.

She is the closest thing to real-life me that has ever been on a show populated with a really wide range of people types and so I'm really pleased that (so far) she is doing really well...and so I must worship her like a totem, because that is what television is for.

Although, sadly I do also recognize Walt in me, especially whenever he tries some cheap psychological ploy just to keep an argument going until he can win it.  God, I hate when I hear myself do that and now when it happens I recognize it and I'm like "Don't be fucking Walt, man."  Who knows, maybe this t.v. show will make me a better dude.

I can't remember another character that I've gone from literally jumping out of my seat to cheer for in season one, to hating every fiber of his stupid motherfucking being now.  Not even Tony Soprano who was never as good as season one Walt or as devoid of redeeming qualities as season five Walt.

Unless Tyrion Lannister goes super evil at some point...Walt is probably going to keep the crown for most complete turn from someone you love to someone you hate.

Apologies for posting this here, but I can't go into the BB thread for another seven episodes and I'm stuck waiting around for the next viewing marathon.

I didn't see it tonight but it's usually one funny joke and 20 minutes of nothing. There was a joke about Peter trying to save a whale with a forklift a few weeks ago that was probably the lowest point the series has hit though.

This week was one of the better ones in a long while. The idea of Pats fans thinking God is out to get them was pretty funny. Usually the show is so bad I can barely get through it, like the one a few weeks ago when brian was a douche to his son. . . .

They sure took a solid character like Brian and made him a total piece of shit over the years. Just awful.

See, and I think that the one decent bit of character development they've done over the years is showing that Brian is an insufferable piece of shit that everyone but Peter just barely tolerates.  The Quagmire/Brian stuff was genuinely good.  Other than that I think the show is dogshit.  Seth MacFarlane doesn't get called out nearly enough for leaning on racist bullshit to get a laugh.

As of now, we have six episodes left of BREAKING BAD. And I am fully ready to commit myself to a life philosophy of WWLR-QD (What would Lydia Rodarte-Quayle do?).

She's such a weird kind of Mary sue...someone who generally reacts exactly like I would to all this stuff (terrified paranoia) but then shows herself to be insanely brave and death-defying in her plotting and when it comes to putting herself in physical jeopardy, extreme paranoia that leads to causing more problems than are actually there, who researches every possible negative outcome and then cannot sleep until she takes some action to mitigate against them all no matter how remote...but who, being a Mary Sue, is also insanely brave once she commits to taking the next step.

She is the closest thing to real-life me that has ever been on a show populated with a really wide range of people types and so I'm really pleased that (so far) she is doing really well...and so I must worship her like a totem, because that is what television is for.

My issue with Lydia is that she was almost too paranoid and uptight for that world. It just wasn't believable. Educated woman, smart and sensible, has a kid, may very well come from money herself, etc. At points you have to wonder, why is she bothering with all this crap? She clearly wasn't cut out for it. There are easier ways to make money if you're a businesswoman with little or no morality. Go work in banking or whatever. You don't have to get involved with drug cartels and nazis.

Everyone acted like Walt being in that world was meant to be a stretch, but she was actually the one character I didn't buy as being involved in the drug trade.

At first I sort of imagined Lydia being talked into it similar to the way Skylar got nudged into committing major tax fraud on Ted's behalf.  No way she's looking to become a criminal, but when someone asks you for help...and maybe in Lydia's case points out that "this is how business is done in the real world, and if you can't handle it then you're not cut out...go home and play nanny or something.  Maybe teach preschool or be a waitress." that would be enough to convince her to get started...just fudging some documents on some shipments.  People fall for that "House of Cards" logic all the time.

That's maybe how it started and that's pretty believable to me.  I mean, when we first met Gus, he was a great character and all, but there could be a similar "There's no reason for a guy like that to somehow become a drug kingpin" until we got some of his backstory.  We never got that for Lydia, but I think it's doable.

She also could have been targeted in business school by someone in a large corporation looking for a a borderline psychopath type and who knew that she would take to it once introduced into it.  She reminds me of the guys running the computers that drop bombs or something.  She mentioned once with a wicked grin how much everything was under her control...at the touch of her laptop.  That detachment makes it a lot easier for people to do things with horrible consequences and maybe horrible risks.

The big stretch is for her to keep pushing to the point where she is driving out into the dessert to meet with Aryan nation sand dwellers.  But I'd like to think that was a huge thing for her...a major turning point with a lot of terror attached.  It would have been nice to have seen some of that..to see her psych herself up for it or fall apart afterward.

At first I sort of imagined Lydia being talked into it similar to the way Skylar got nudged into committing major tax fraud on Ted's behalf.  No way she's looking to become a criminal, but when someone asks you for help...and maybe in Lydia's case points out that "this is how business is done in the real world, and if you can't handle it then you're not cut out...go home and play nanny or something.  Maybe teach preschool or be a waitress." that would be enough to convince her to get started...just fudging some documents on some shipments.  People fall for that "House of Cards" logic all the time.

That's maybe how it started and that's pretty believable to me.  I mean, when we first met Gus, he was a great character and all, but there could be a similar "There's no reason for a guy like that to somehow become a drug kingpin" until we got some of his backstory.  We never got that for Lydia, but I think it's doable.

She also could have been targeted in business school by someone in a large corporation looking for a a borderline psychopath type and who knew that she would take to it once introduced into it.  She reminds me of the guys running the computers that drop bombs or something.  She mentioned once with a wicked grin how much everything was under her control...at the touch of her laptop.  That detachment makes it a lot easier for people to do things with horrible consequences and maybe horrible risks.

The big stretch is for her to keep pushing to the point where she is driving out into the dessert to meet with Aryan nation sand dwellers.  But I'd like to think that was a huge thing for her...a major turning point with a lot of terror attached.  It would have been nice to have seen some of that..to see her psych herself up for it or fall apart afterward.

Bingo. Keep in mind, Gus did give a scholarship to Gale. He did the same with his friend Max, who had advanced degrees in biochemistry and chemical engineering. I'm thinking Gus vetted Gail and Lydia in the drug game like Mike did for his men.