DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Wasn't it Crews who did those "office linebacker" ads for reebok years ago?

No, this is Terry Crews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpyoRAiSf0

Also, I always like Chris Parnell and it's nice to see him voicing characters on both Archer and Rick and Morty, which got a second season renewal today.  Both of these animated shows are really good right now too.

Also, some places are reporting that Comcast is going to buy Time Warner.  I, for one, welcome our new cable conglomerate monopoly.

As someone who JUST started working with Time Warner, I am less than thrilled with this.  I spent 5 months unemployed, and now I feel uncertain about my job future as soon as I start working again.  Also, I've heard nothing but terrible things about Comcast service.

When we had it, I was generally happy with Comcast's service.  Their internet, for us, was top-notch.  Super-fast and super-reliable.

I dropped Comcast because it was getting expensive and my bill seemed to never be the same amount two months in a row, even while under contract.

I'm generally fine with Adult Swim stuff, but I don't watch the most random of all stuff. ATHF, Venture Bros, old Robot Chicken, American Dad reruns, Metalocalypse, China, IL and a bunch of cancelled stuff from a long time ago like Harvey Birdman and Brak Show amongst a bunch of others.

The tech behind Comcast's stuff has always been awesome IMO. A lot of people have issues with their customer service, but I've cracked the code of how to deal with their shit and get my problems taken care of quickly.

What I found was that by handling all my issues through their online chat, I had a lot more success.  That gave me a transcript of everything they said, like the time they offered me discounts that apparently didn't exist in their system.  Took me months of fighting with them to get those discounts but I eventually got them, got a refund of overcharges, and a year's worth of DVR rental for free.

Finished season 6 of The Shield.  Not a huge fan of this season.  The stuff with Vic & Shane was pretty good but the whole season seemed really scattered and just kind of "meh".  I am eager to see how this all wraps up.  Then I can move on to season 2 of House of Cards :)

• Like 1

I think season 6/7 was the first instance of a network splitting the final season of a show into two separate seasons in order to milk it for everything it was worth. AMC would later follow suit with BREAKING BAD and now MAD MEN. (There was a split SOPRANOS season, but I don't think it was the last one, and it was for different reasons.)

EDIT: I was wrong. It was the last season.

Yeah, that decision to split the final season of Sopranos - after they had already started filming no less - is what we have to thank for stuff like JohnnyCakes. They had to scramble to kill time after they got the order to pad it out.

Speaking of Sopranos, I haven't seen any updates from Fowler so I don't know if he's still working his way through the series but I'll refrain from posting any spoilery stuff anyway. All this Sopranos talk reminded me I rewatched the entire series on HBO GO (Thanks, Dad!) a few months back after Gandolfini died. I don't know if it's a reflection of maturity and/or changing values as you get older or what but I couldn't believe what an asshole Tony was. I mean, when I watched the initial broadcasts I realized Tony wasn't a good guy per se but I always thought of him as an anti-hero.

But re-watching those episodes, man was that guy an unrepentant sociopath.

Dr Steve Brule is great if you like that sort of humor. Rick and Morty has also been supreme. Eagleheart and Eric Andre Show are so niche, I like them both but you just have to watch those.

Can't stand Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland Show but since those allow them to keep making the crazy niche comedies, I am all for them staying on.

Yeah, that decision to split the final season of Sopranos - after they had already started filming no less - is what we have to thank for stuff like JohnnyCakes. They had to scramble to kill time after they got the order to pad it out.

Speaking of Sopranos, I haven't seen any updates from Fowler so I don't know if he's still working his way through the series but I'll refrain from posting any spoilery stuff anyway. All this Sopranos talk reminded me I rewatched the entire series on HBO GO (Thanks, Dad!) a few months back after Gandolfini died. I don't know if it's a reflection of maturity and/or changing values as you get older or what but I couldn't believe what an asshole Tony was. I mean, when I watched the initial broadcasts I realized Tony wasn't a good guy per se but I always thought of him as an anti-hero.

But re-watching those episodes, man was that guy an unrepentant sociopath.

I thought was one the most interesting things about Tony was how he was always looking down his nose at guys like Ritchie and Ralph for being monsters, but really, he wasn't that much better than them. One of the ideas of the show seemed to be "the lesser of two evils is still evil." Yeah, Tony wouldn't beat a stripper to death, but he would kill anyone who was a threat to him without a second thought, no matter how innocent they were. (Remember him not-so-cryptically informing his lawyer that he was going to off that witness who saw him leave a murder scene?)

The elderly shrink that Carmella went to see in season 3 who told her to get a divorce didn't even meet Tony and had him 100% figured out.

• Like 1