DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I have to wonder why anyone in the 24 Universe even runs for president any more. It's like being a Spinal Tap drummer.

"So, David Palmer..."

"Dead."

"Keeler?

"Dead."

"Wayne Palmer"

"Dead."

"Umm...Logan?"

"Dead too. And everyone else who didn't die either resigned in disgrace or lost re-election."

"Oh...But, hey, the laws of averages say you're going to be OK!"

Hal Gardner was named president after Logan was locked up. What's even more interesting to think about - what party was each president, aside from Palmer? You can almost spin it either way for most of them.

Thanks.  I remembered him, but thought he was on FSW's list.

There's actually a Hindi version of 24 too with Anil Kapoor in the lead role. Did very well in India last year. I watched the first episode and it's very well made. It is made by Imagine after all. Looked to be setting up as a carbon copy of the first season of the US version. Apparently, Kiefer Sutherland has expressed interest in appearing in it.

Guys, PSYCH is the best.

They just took one of their clumsiest episodes from their tepid season one, before they had really polished their act, and straight up remade it, all the while making a series of jokes about remakes.

This included stunt casting some of their bigger guest stars (including Katharine Isabelle, perverts!) either recast as completely different people, or playing characters that would show up later (the remake is set back in season 1 too).  They also managed to make 2006 look like some ancient era full of bizarre cultural artifacts (like JERICHO, sad t.v. nerds and why am I insulting everyone?)

In the opening scene, when James Roday lays out the justification for the exercise (while complaining about the BAD NEWS BEARS remake): "The only good reason for a remake is when something you did had a lot of potential but it wasn't really realized the first time."

It suddenly seems like a good idea.  Lots of great shows have clumsy crappy early episodes that seem weirdly primitive or flat compared to the rest of the series.

They should all be forced to do this if only for the fan service (Ray Wise shows up as a judge named Leland...God, I'm a cheap, cheap fan whore). 

• Like 1

Start with the Season One finale ("Scary Sherry").  John Landis directed it and it's the first one where they really find their groove. From that point on, the episodes are filled with stunt casting references and lots of 80s-90s easter eggs.

It's a guilty pleasure show for me.  Really lite and breezy.  Not a lot of depth, but so much fun if you're in the mood to follow along with IMDB and play guess-the-reference.  Also, Dule Hill is the most adorable human on earth and I'm just like glad he made a shit ton of money.

It's one of those shows where you actually find yourself rooting for them to do a good job, like as soon as you recognize the theme in the cold open, you're like "ooooh, I bet they had fun...I hope they do good!!!!" and you get all happy and squee for them.  God, I'm ashamed of myself. 

No.  Fuck that.  It's awesome.  Like, when they did the TWIN PEAKS episode, I was so happy for the show's composer getting to do a bunch of music in that style.  And the FRIDAY THE 13TH parody episode was great too.

Ultimately, the most clever thing about it is that while it riffs on 80s stuff, it really is itself an 80s concept show (weekly crime show about an irreverent slacker pretending to be a psychic and his uptight partner who fight crime and get yelled at by the mean chief detective).  The only difference is that they have enough sense not to have Roday wearing Jams and Ray-Bans.

Also Kurt Fuller...eventually!

Add in the numerous 80's wrestling mentions as another great part of Psych. I love the one where the dude is talking to his girlfriend and references Kamala, she says something about him starting out as Sugar Bear Harris, and he says something like "that's why I love you."

Oh, it definitely is. I'm 110% convinced Roday, Hill and the Psych exec producer (Steve Franks) are just three goofy GenXers who sit around riffing on the things they loved growing up (Urkel! Maddie on Moonlighting! Wrestling! Karate Kid! Twin Peaks!) and then figure out how to write shows around those things. Which I have absolutely no problem with because if I were given my own show, it's exactly what I would do.

Including writing a plotline where I get to make out with Rachel Leigh Cook every week. (Sorry, Maggie Lawson fans...)

Speaking of wrestling, if anybody ever wondered whether Cena was acting on Total Divas, just check out his performance on Psych. He played the entire role with the same flat deadpan reaction he has to pretty much everything Nikki does. 

Given how much of their budget must go to stunt casting, I like to think it's also one of those shows where they manage to squeeze a lot out of a shoestring budget.  I don't know why that matters to me, but it does.  Like an underdog thing or something. 

A friend of mine worked on Psych for the first few seasons and I got to spend a day hanging out in the writers' room.  We mostly sat around watching Police Academy 4 and talking about WCW.  I can confirm that they are all pretty much exactly how you imagine them.

• Like 1