DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I'm more invested in Keenex's relationship with his desk at the police station than his one with Stahl. So it really doesn't matter how good the writing is as far as that's concerned.

I keep reading it as Kleenex and it's cracking me up. I should start watching the show.

I remember hearing an interview with a Canadian casting director who discussed Kreuk and it honestly sounds like she never wanted to be in acting in the first place.

Basically, she had little to no interest in acting growing up, but everyone was always telling her parents someone as beautiful as her simply had to be show business. Then she ended up getting talked into going for an audtion for Edgemont (some Canadian teen show), and the casting person mentioned as soon as she walked into the room everyone's jaw-dropped at how gorgeous she was and she got the role, no questions asked. Soon after that, she got offered Smallville, after barely one audition, and you don't turn something like that down.

I think it shows in her performances. The girl just has a real lack of enthusiasm about acting and looks bored most of the time.

I didn't realize until today that Showtime had axed the pilot for THE VATICAN. I was kinda interested in that. But I loved that their explanation essentially boiled down to "The Pope isn't a scary German anymore."

Tangent here, but, while I actually find myself liking some of the things this new pope is doing, I do miss all the easy Emperor jokes the old one allowed.

Oh, my sweet low hanging fruit, where have you gone?

Glad to hear Almost Human is doing well.  Hope it hangs around.  I hope they stick with shorter seasons for the show similar to Sleepy Hollow.

Person of Interest has been really optimal this season.  The first half of the season was pretty nonstop awesome.  Show has really found its groove.  Hope the back half can be this good.  

I remember hearing an interview with a Canadian casting director who discussed Kreuk and it honestly sounds like she never wanted to be in acting in the first place.

Basically, she had little to no interest in acting growing up, but everyone was always telling her parents someone as beautiful as her simply had to be show business. Then she ended up getting talked into going for an audtion for Edgemont (some Canadian teen show), and the casting person mentioned as soon as she walked into the room everyone's jaw-dropped at how gorgeous she was

Oh man, Edgemont was awesome. It was never going to be wildly successful because it was never going to escape comparisons to Degrassi but I liked it for what it was - kind of a Canadian "Saved By The Bell." The lead guy is now a regular on General Hospital (Although most here probably would know him as Jammer on BSG) and in addition to Kreuk it was also the first starring roles for hotties Jessica Lucas and Grace Park.

Speaking of Kreuk and the question of why she keeps getting stuff, one thing not mentioned yet is because she's Canadian. I remember reading an interview with the Smallville guys and they straight out said when they were looking for their Lana they exclusively looked at Canadian actresses because the show was filmed in Canada. Evidently not only is it cheaper to film in Canada but you get some sort of tax break/stipend from the government as long as your show features a Canadian citizen in a lead role.

If you look over the cast lists for the CW, their shows are littered with Canadians - most of their shows are filmed there to keep costs down. Green Arrow is a Canadian as his brother (?) who stars in that X-Men ripoff show. I don't know what else CW has but I imagine if you looked over the cast bios for that Vampire show or that Tudors ripoff, you'd find Canucks there as well.

@ Midnight is halfway decent, I'm not going to lie. It really all depends on the panel. Apparently that was the show Jeselnik was first offered, and he took a pass on it. And there will always be a place in my heart for Tosh.0. But yeah, The Offensive was by far the best thing they've put on the air in years. His last stand up, Caligula, was a thing of beauty.

I had Josh Holloway pegged as a future movie star during Lost. He must have a shitty agent because up until getting Intelligence his career seemed to be going nowhere.

I also thought Naveen Andrews and the dude who played Desmond would do more post Lost. I wonder if the finale being universally panned killed some of the momentum those actors had.

Holloway had a kid right around the time LOST was wrapping up and he chose not to take much work to be with his family. Up until last year, his only credits in the interim were glorified cameos - an episode of COMMUNITY, a bit part in the 3rd MISSION IMPOSSIBLE movie for Abrams, a few others.

My guess is that all his LOST money is drying up and/or he's sick of his wife, so he's back on the market.

Evangeline Lilly was another one who seemed destined for big things but instead opted to do basically nothing for years, until she turned up in the Hobbit movies.

I think LOST turned out to be a weird deal for all those actors. On one hand, it propelled them to greater stardom than most of them had ever known. But on the flipside, the shooting schedule was so restrictive (long periods of time isolated on Hawaii), they couldn't really capitalize on it while the show was on the air.

So who has had the best Post Lost career?

Michael Emerson? Star of solid mid card TV show?

Daniel Dae Kim? Supporting player on middling TV show thats big hit overseas?

Matthew Fox? Speed Racer, The Marshall movie, World War Z?

Definitely Emerson. Terry O'Quinn works all the time but has picked terrible projects (namely that show where he ran an EVIL apartment complex).

I really want to know what the story is with Jeremy Davies. His only notable credit post-LOST was his fantastic run as Dickie Bennett on JUSTIFIED. But since his last episode in 2012, he has zero credits listed on IMDB.

I'd say Michelle Rodriguez wins even though she wasn't an unknown going in.

Since she was only on the show less than a season, i dont know if she would count in the discussion. Same with Mr. Eco.

Off top of my head, id say candidates were:

Jack, kate, sawyer, locke, sun, jin, hurley, sayid, claire, ben, desmond, charlie, michael, juliet, miles, richard, shannon, boone, faraday, walt, frank

They all did 30 or more episodes.

After that, 20 to 30 mr eco, ana lucia, libby, ilana, rose, bernard, charlotte, christian.

Then, you have regular guest stars:

Rousseau, alex, mr friendly, widmore, penny.

So who has had the best Post Lost career?

Michael Emerson? Star of solid mid card TV show?

Daniel Dae Kim? Supporting player on middling TV show thats big hit overseas?

Matthew Fox? Speed Racer, The Marshall movie, World War Z?

Elizabeth Mitchell has had steady work as a lead TV actress whose talents seem to be above the material she's being given to work with. I think she will have other roles in her future playing women with ambiguous motives.