DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Over the weekend, I watched both seasons of Girls again. With the exception of Adam(who grew on me in later episodes as being the most sane of the group), is there a show filled with such contemptible people??? I wanna like Hannah, I really do, but I wouldn't be upset if she was shockingly killed off(I know, it's her show and it's not gonna happen, but still...).

I've only seen maybe an episode or two(on HBO free previews), but for a show with horrible characters, I'm not sure any show beats Its always sunny in philadelphia, and you could argue Archer. Not badmouthing the shows at all, but neither are exactly saints. . .

The characters on It's Always Sunny and Archer are intentionally horrible, though. You're meant to sympathize with the characters on Girls.

Okay, I'm in for another few episodes of TRUE DETECTIVE. There was a point midway through when I wasn't sure I could handle much more of Rust's existential psychobabble, no matter how good of a job McConoughey was doing delivering it, but I like that the Mystery the show is most concerned with isn't "Who's the killer?" but rather "What happened between these two detectives?"

"I like to thank the Aca...um, Hollywood Foreign Press"

Was hoping Tatiana Maslany got the win for her work on Orphan Black. Was a longshot, but I thought she was fantastic in all her roles. And boy did Bradley Cooper look surly when Leto won, too funny

It's the best comedy on tv by far.  I'm struggling to think of anything on right now that is as consistently funny. 

I'm struggling to think of anything on right now that's consistently funny.  I think B99 and Parks & Rec are alright, but nothing you can't miss.

It's the best comedy on tv by far.  I'm struggling to think of anything on right now that is as consistently funny. 

I'm struggling to think of anything on right now that's consistently funny.  I think B99 and Parks & Rec are alright, but nothing you can't miss.

Is B99 anything like Arrested Development? Might give it a shot. A couple of trailers I saw made it look like a spoof of Cops or something.

Haven't seen 'Dallas Buyers' Club' yet, but man was McConaughey winning the best moment of the night, or what?!  It's got to be surreal for people, like my best friend, who haven't really noticed the insane McConaughey renaissance of the past year or so, where he all of a sudden started trying.  Then he walks up there and adlibs the most enjoyable, entertaining speech of the night.  I fully expect the Oscars to shake down like tonight, Cuaron taking best director while 12 Years wins best picture.

alrightalrightalright

I always wanted to see McConaughey and Denzel in a movie together. Just two hours of two guys going 'It's alright, it's alright, it's okay.'

This is similar to me wanting to see a film with Clive Owen and Liam Neeson. Just two dudes talking Sternly into the phone to each other.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm in for another few episodes of TRUE DETECTIVE. There was a point midway through when I wasn't sure I could handle much more of Rust's existential psychobabble, no matter how good of a job McConoughey was doing delivering it, but I like that the Mystery the show is most concerned with isn't "Who's the killer?" but rather "What happened between these two detectives?"

I think that the McConoughey psychobabble was supposed to be irritating and dificult to handle, that is kind of his main character trait.  I want to know what the hell happened that turned him into the beer drinking, chain smoking, hippie that is doing the interview. 

I liked the first show, and like you the story of what happened between them seems much more interesting than the serial killer they are chasing. 

And here it is!

From the Grantland article I found the clip in: "In this case, Leo's first thumbs-up was, relatively, run-of-the-mill: He recognizes his name, he acknowledges the substance of the crack, he realizes that, as a good sport, he must pay homage. But his heretofore unprecedented second thumbs-up? That's just a guy taking a beat, letting brilliance sink in, then giving it up to a master. Peak Leo. Peak Fey. Staggered Double Thumbs-Up to this whole thing."

Yeah. HE BELIEVES IN NOTHING!

At first, I was thinking that if the hook of this show was them solving a crime while RUST COHLE held forth like an undergrad philsophy major, then I wasn't interested. But by the end, once the show's intentions had revealed themselves, I was more okay with it. If the point of the show is figuring out what went wrong between these two guys, then all of RUST COHLE's existential angst really matters, because it was clearly a sore point for Woody's character and will be a factor in whatever eventually happens between them.

A lot of new info just came out about the new GOTHAM series.

-Apparently, they're using a SMALLVILLE model where the last episode would be the one where Bruce puts on the cape.

-Bruce will be about 12 when the show starts.

-The show will feature known characters like Catwoman and the Penguin, in some form or fashion.

I still don't see how this works.

I'm not aware of the consensus opinion on here on New Girl, but I really dug the first 2 seasons of the show.

This season it's just lost it's charm and has become all sorts of annoying, although I'm sure most of you probably have found it annoying since season 1.

A lot of new info just came out about the new GOTHAM series.

-Apparently, they're using a SMALLVILLE model where the last episode would be the one where Bruce puts on the cape.

-Bruce will be about 12 when the show starts.

-The show will feature known characters like Catwoman and the Penguin, in some form or fashion.

I still don't see how this works.

Sounds like another average to below average CW superhero show with just enough elements from the comics to make yall watch every single episode of it.

I haven't watch the premiere of True Detective yet.  I'm preparing myself for the dialogue/monologues after reading a couple of reviews though.