DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Watched Castle for the first time in forever. Felt like an awesome two parter before the rushed to the finish in the most ridiculous way possible. They knew the arsonist recorded his fires but no one noticed the creepy guy filming it on his phone until after they knew who he was.

Over the weekend, I watched both seasons of Girls again.  With the exception of Adam(who grew on me in later episodes as being the most sane of the group), is there a show filled with such contemptible people???  I wanna like Hannah, I really do, but I wouldn't be upset if she was shockingly killed off(I know, it's her show and it's not gonna happen, but still...).

Over the weekend, I watched both seasons of Girls again.  With the exception of Adam(who grew on me in later episodes as being the most sane of the group), is there a show filled with such contemptible people???  I wanna like Hannah, I really do, but I wouldn't be upset if she was shockingly killed off(I know, it's her show and it's not gonna happen, but still...).

I've only seen maybe an episode or two(on HBO free previews), but for a show with horrible characters, I'm not sure any show beats Its always sunny in philadelphia, and you could argue Archer. Not badmouthing the shows at all, but neither are exactly saints. . . 

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I got the first couple seasons of X-Files on DVD for Christmas.  I haven't watched the series since it first aired.  I binged watched the first season the last couple days since I was snowed in.  It's a pretty good season with only one episode that I might consider slightly on the weak side.  For the hell of it, I have a top 10 favorite episodes.  Shows like this where a lot of the episodes are self contained and aren't a part of a major arch is easy to rank episodes.

1. Ice
  2. E.B.E.
  3. Beyond the Sea
  4. The Erlenmeyer Flask
  5. Fallen Angel
  6. Squeeze
  7. Pilot
  8. Conduit
  9. Eve
  10. Shapes

The top 2 I could put on a contenders list for best episodes once I get through the series.  Even though Ice is a riff on John Carpenter's The Thing, it's still really great and I had a ton of fun watching it.  The paranoia was palpable as well is in E.B.E.  It's a great episode as part of the X-Files Alien mythology. 

• Like 1

I've only seen maybe an episode or two(on HBO free previews), but for a show with horrible characters, I'm not sure any show beats Its always sunny in philadelphia, and you could argue Archer. Not badmouthing the shows at all, but neither are exactly saints. . . 

Yeah, I'm extremely looking forward to Season 3.  The surprise wedding and the "crack" spirit guide sold me on the show.

If I'm going to binge watch a television series it's going to be X-Files. I picked up all the seasons on a Black Friday sale at FYE years ago when they were buy one-get one and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Aside from a few stinkers I hate like the Jersey Devil episode they are almost all good and still hold up with Mulder and Scully. I don't even mind the later ones when the show was way too far up it's own ass, there are still very good episodes with Robert Patrick.

I also think I'm the only one who actually likes the Space episode.

I like Ray and Charlie and even with all the insane shit no one can hate Jessa.

Marnie can die in a car fire though.

YES! X Files talk!

I didn't like Ice so much until I rewatched it earlier this year. It held up very well. The Erlenmeyer Flask was my favourite from that series. Fuck man, I remember watching it on tv like it was yesterday...

I finished watching that last episode today so I didn't put it higher but I did really love it.  I love the whole government conspiracy/Deep Throat angle that they had in the first season.  The ending was an awesome way to end a season that makes one crave the next which I will start tonight.

I like Ray and Charlie and even with all the insane shit no one can hate Jessa.

Marnie can die in a car fire though.

As much as Marnie is kind of a WASPy asshole, she gets a pass from me just for her going hard in this scene:

BTW, I want this as my wedding song.

• Like 2

Still in season 1 of The Shield and I just wrapped up watching Cherrypoppers. Damn, I forgot how amazing this episode was. It's the first time Dutch is completely vulnerable and unhinged, and it's also where he asks a suspect if he kills cats. Vic turns things up to 11 as well, going as low as beating up his CI so he can get back to busting the people behind the Cherrypoppers videos. So much was crammed in this episode.

Oh, and I also forgot about Kurt Sutter being the Jesus looking psychopathic murderer who has a thing for feet.

I think the shakey camera holds people back with The Shield. I can't really come up with any other reason it doesn't get put on a pedastal like the Wire does. Not only is the Strike Teams story great but the case of the week is usually very strong as well. Cch Pounder was also very underrated on this show. She deserved more awards consideration.

The shaky cam really isn't that shaky, though. It's a lot of hand held stuff and depending on the director, there's some quick cuts every now and then, but I feel like it's pretty steady.

• Like 1

I think a big factor in THE SHIELD's lack of profile is that it wasn't available on streaming for a really long time. I think it just showed up on Amazon Prime and Hulu within the last year or so. It basically sat out the streaming revolution. Meanwhile, THE WIRE has been available on HBOGo for ages.

The Forrest Whitaker season is probably the second best season of TV I've ever watched and it does have the most shocking season finale I've ever seen, but the Antwon Mitchell season takes the cake for my all-time favorite season of TV. Nearly every episode was a gigantic bombshell, just season finale worthy, where it really made you wonder...

If Shane would try to kill Vic, if and when Vic would find out about Shane being contracted to kill Vic, what would happen when Vic meets up with Shane in that parking garage or underpass or whatever it was, etc.

Antwon Mitchell is a top 5 TV villain and to this day I'm still stunned that Anthony Anderson had the acting chops to pull off being such a completely reprehensible asshole.

As much as Marnie is kind of a WASPy asshole, she gets a pass from me just for her going hard in this scene:

BTW, I want this as my wedding song.

I gotta be honest - that little clip is just all kinds of awful.

I think the shakey camera holds people back with The Shield. I can't really come up with any other reason it doesn't get put on a pedastal like the Wire does.

Shows on pay cable get way more press coverage and hype than similar shows on "regular" cable. 

Well, it wasn't just that. At the time it was on, which was around the time The Sopranos was the only big show out on pay cable, it was routinely snubbed for Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. If I'm not mistaken, Glenn Close was the only actor from the show to win an award for her performance, right? I mean, she was good, but there were so many amazing performances in the history of that show that it seems bizarre for it to have flown under the radar for as long as it did.

It was Breaking Bad before there was Breaking Bad, and it may even be better than Breaking Bad. Like someone else said, the third, or maybe fourth, episode of the first season where they won't let the NJ Nets basketball player go is the worst episode of the series, and that's it. It's rare to have a show that consistently good throughout its entire run.