DVDVR Message Board

2014 Yes/No NOAH, Diamond Ring

jaedmc

Match nominations must be accompanied by an explanation as to why the match is worth nominating. Above all: DISCUSS WRESTLING.

NOAH

KENTA vs. Morishima, January 5th - Yes 7, No 1

Ishimori vs. Ohara, January 19th, - Yes 3, No 0

Kotoge vs. Sugiura, February 3rd - Yes 3, No 0

Nagata vs. Morishima, February 8th - Yes 1, No 3

Nagata vs. KENTA, February 22nd - Yes 2, No 0

Taiji Ishimori vs. Daisuke Harada, March 8th - Yes 1, No 0

Sugiura & Tanaka vs KENTA& Takayama, April 12th - Yes 2, No 0

KENTA & Masato Tanaka vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Tetsuya Naito, March 8th - Yes 1, No 0
KENTA & Naomichi Marufuji vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Takashi Sugiura, May 17th - Yes 1, No 0
Yuji Nagata vs Naomichi Marafuji July 5th, - Yes 2, No 0

DIAMOND RING

Sasaki vs. Nakajima, February 11th - Yes 3, No 0

• 3 weeks later...

NOMINATE:  KENTA vs. Takeshi Morishima, January 4th

I went back and forth a bit with this match.  I think its incredibly good, but it was missing that special 'something' that would get it into my likely Top 20.  But Morishima did a good clubbin' job as I would say, they focused on the strikes which is both of their strengths, and there really wasn't any wasted time with pointless submission holds or mat wrestling as there shouldn't be in a Morishima match.  I am pretending when I am nominating this match that KENTA intentionally didn't hit Morishima with the GTS correctly (I know he didn't on the second, not sure on the first) since that would add to the story that KENTA wasn't able to hit his finisher but couldn't do enough damage on Morishima for the Game Over to work.  So he was just screwed.  When Morishima focuses on what he is good at (big strikes, power moves, etc.) he is really fun to watch, and he has lost weight so his stamina is better than it used to be.

This was the only match on the card I thought was nom-worthy, even though there were several other good matches.

No to KENTA/Morishima. That was just a really awkward match with a dead crowd until the end when they were going to wrap it up and no drama.

Yes to KENTA/Morishima. I really really enjoyed it, pretty much for the reasons Kevin outlined. Both guys were smart and played to their strengths, there were some darn fine strike exchanges and KENTA flew around the ring while Morishima swatted at him in a most agreeable fashion. I didn't find it awkward at all, I thought everything seemed purposeful and mostly was executed well. I guess the finish could have had more drama, but I'd rather it was the way it was than it be overblown and outstay its welcome. I thought it pretty much made the show.

YES TO MORISHIMA WINNING WITH SICK LARIATOS.

The rest of it was pretty decent, but it got me and my son out of our seats a few times, and the finishing sequence had some good tension, to where I was sure that little runt was going to fighting spirit his way to another victory. I left this match happy. Will watch the rest of the card soonish.

YES to KENTA/Morishima-20ish minutes of these two striking each other really hard make me a happy panda and the finishing stretch was wonderful. No one's countered KENTA's Springboard Dropkick since like 2005 so that rules as did their callback to the Busaiku-Turnaround Lariat spot they've done a bunch of times. Clubberin' is fun ey?

• 3 weeks later...

NOMINATE:  Atsushi Kotoge vs. Takashi Sugiura, February 3rd

When I skimmed the matches on this card I didn't see any that stuck out at me as potential must-see matches.  I figured this would just be a 'welcome back' demolish job by Sugiura.  I was incorrect.  This was Sugiura’s first match in about six weeks after suffering an injury.  Maybe that is why he was so angry.  This was a really good match from start to finish, Kotoge has a lot of fire and got in a lot of offense but Sugiura was just too much for him, and he was not gentle with the elbow smashes.  Lots of hard hits on both sides here and there was never a dull moment, it was action from start to finish.  It wouldn't finish in anyone's MOTY lists I think mostly because it was a mid-card match, but add a few minutes and slap it in the main event and I bet it would have gotten more notice.

• 2 weeks later...

NO to Morishima/Nagata and KENTA/Kotoge - decent matches but nothing I was too excited over.

NOMINATE: Taiji Ishimori vs. Hajime Ohara January 19th NOAH

This is really worth taking a look. Ohara is absolutely sick on the mat. Plenty of action to keep you interested throughout, some fantastic selling by Ohara and a hot close. Ishimori had a really impressive reign and I don't think it's been given the praise it deserves. I'd rank this as probably the best or second best defence he's had (the Zack one being the other).

YES Kotoge/Sugiura

Kotoge goes to work the arm, bu Sugiura says pretty quickly he doesn't give a shit about that, and would be willing to cut it off to beat the hell of Kotge with it. So Kotoge goes to plan B, which is duke it out. Yeah. Nice try punk. Should have stuck with speed and counters, which si where he was most successful. Instead he just turned into a grease stain on the canvas. This is about baseline for YES votes for me. 

Nominating:

Kensuke Sasaki vs Katsuhiko Nakajima-Diamond Ring 2/11/14. This was a very good match. Match had a good flow to it. I like Nakajima's kicks. He kicked Sasaki in the head during one spot and knocked him loopey. Sasaki of course always kills people with his lariet's. Match had a surprise ending.

• 1 month later...

Nomination:

Takashi Sugiura/Masato Tanaka vs KENTA/Yoshihiro Takayama-4/12/14. A really good match. Sugiuraalways shows what a powerhouse he is and this was no exception. A really good sell job by Takayama. There was a really cool spot where Tanaka tried his Sliding D onto KENTA, but KENTA reversedhim into his Game Over finisher.

NOMINATE: Taiji Ishimori vs. Hajime Ohara January 19th NOAH

This is really worth taking a look. Ohara is absolutely sick on the mat. Plenty of action to keep you interested throughout, some fantastic selling by Ohara and a hot close. Ishimori had a really impressive reign and I don't think it's been given the praise it deserves. I'd rank this as probably the best or second best defence he's had (the Zack one being the other).

I can't say I remember ever seeing Hajime Ohara before, but I'm instantly in love with this dude after this match. BACKBREAKER OFFENSE. And he sold his arm as the reason he couldn't finish Taiji off. I HEART HIM SO MUCH.

Yes from me. It feels sometimes like they're kind of wandering in between spots at time, as opposed to just being methodical, but otherwise this is a fun match, with a good overall story. And some slick moovez.

KENTA vs. Morishima, January 5th - YES

Ishimori vs. Ohara, January 19th, - YES

Kotoge vs. Sugiura, February 3rd - YES

Nagata vs. Morishima, February 8th - NO

Nagata vs. KENTA, February 22nd - YES

Sugiura & Tanaka vs KENTA & Takayama, April 12th - YES

Sasaki vs. Nakajima, February 11th - YES

NOMINATE: Taiji Ishimori vs. Daisuke Harada, March 8th

Is it me, or is Taiji having some sweet matches as of late? Between the Zack Sabre Jr. match last August, the Ohara match in January (which I loved), and this one, he's really proving he's a lot more than the flippy guy with the backflip elbow drop that people viewed him as years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KENTA vs. Morishima, January 5th - YES

Ishimori vs. Ohara, January 19th, - YES

Kotoge vs. Sugiura, February 3rd - YES

Nagata vs. Morishima, February 8th - NO

Nagata vs. KENTA, February 22nd - YES

Sugiura & Tanaka vs KENTA & Takayama, April 12th - YES

Sasaki vs. Nakajima, February 11th - YES

NOMINATE: Taiji Ishimori vs. Daisuke Harada, March 8th

Is it me, or is Taiji having some sweet matches as of late? Between the Zack Sabre Jr. match last August, the Ohara match in January (which I loved), and this one, he's really proving he's a lot more than the flippy guy with the backflip elbow drop that people viewed him as years ago.

Taiji had a really great title run. The matches you mentioned plus another one he had with Harada, and the really good Kondo match where he won the belt.

• 3 months later...

Nominate:

Yuji Nagata vs Naomichi Marafuji 7/5/15. This is the best Noah match all year for me. Both guyshad good chemistry together. There was one point during the match where Nagata hit an exploder and just launched Marafuji and he landed hard on the ring apron.

• 2 months later...

Yes to that match. It looked like it was hot as hell there because they were both drenched. Sometimes it felt a little overkilly, but fuck it I was in it from start to finish. I especially like Maru getting murderized in the final stretch. I had the feeling that if he didn't hit that one big desperation move, he was dead

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to throw a YES to Nagata vs. Marufuji as well. I too think it was 100 degrees in that building because these two had little in the tank down the stretch; however, they persevered and told a compelling story with Marufuji surviving an absolute beating to keep looking for enough sustainable offense to be Nagata. Yuji definitely owned the stage as the grumpy old ace in this match who always felt in control.